Little ditty.

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Little ditty.

Postby Jojon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:14 pm

'might as well post this little thing that never became anything, a year or two back... (here's to stumbling over one's own fingers...)
http://web.telia.com/~u35208964/somestuff.mp3

It was supposed to have some lyrics, sung by merchant, lamenting the fact that those nice D'ni people, who had made him so rich and powerful, never seem to come around anymore and how his little empire has consequently crumbled. Never got around to learn any D'ni though - I couldn't find references to the interogative, as I recall and the stuff would be mostly "why?, how?, where?, have I?". :P Well, the D'ni wouldn't teach their language to erthahrohtahn anyway, I guess. :)

Here is the general chord progression, if anybody want to run with the thing and improve it:

Am - Am/C - Esus - Ddim
F - Bb6 (or G/h) - Cadd9 - Cadd9
Asus2 - ehm...x22003 - Cadd9 - D - Esus
The rest is just a few variatations of Am and E, with an F and a C thrown in.
Played using whatever arpeggio pattern you feel like.

It should be easy to vary the theme between hardly noticeable background muzak and a more cinematic flair, at some sort of revelatory moment, simply by altering intensity, I believe - if one want to keep orchestration at a minimum.
Jojon

Re: Little ditty.

Postby Kedri » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:30 pm

Sounds nice. :)
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:33 pm

I liked it too! And it was a little funny at the end, where you changed to "etc..." :lol: It would be interesting to see how it sounds in a different instrument.
Jennifer_P

Postby Yali » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:35 am

Fantastic! Bring on more kind of music like this!

I like it because it's real music, not game music - made to be lyrical and melodic first before "environmental". I think we also need A LOT more pieces done with instruments rather than synth. Not all of us own Yamaha VL-1s (and if you do, report here pronto!)

Seriously though, this is exactly the kind of music we should all strive for for our Ages. Good work!
Yali

Postby BAD » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:13 pm

I don't know how I missed this one, but very well done Jojon!! :D
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Kiril » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:50 am

Jojon wrote:'might as well post this little thing that never became anything, a year or two back... (here's to stumbling over one's own fingers...)
http://web.telia.com/~u35208964/somestuff.mp3

It was supposed to have some lyrics, sung by merchant, lamenting the fact that those nice D'ni people, who had made him so rich and powerful, never seem to come around anymore and how his little empire has consequently crumbled. Never got around to learn any D'ni though - I couldn't find references to the interogative, as I recall and the stuff would be mostly "why?, how?, where?, have I?". :P Well, the D'ni wouldn't teach their language to erthahrohtahn anyway, I guess. :)

Here is the general chord progression, if anybody want to run with the thing and improve it:

Am - Am/C - Esus - Ddim
F - Bb6 (or G/h) - Cadd9 - Cadd9
Asus2 - ehm...x22003 - Cadd9 - D - Esus
The rest is just a few variatations of Am and E, with an F and a C thrown in.
Played using whatever arpeggio pattern you feel like.

It should be easy to vary the theme between hardly noticeable background muzak and a more cinematic flair, at some sort of revelatory moment, simply by altering intensity, I believe - if one want to keep orchestration at a minimum.

I liked it, too. Its a nice progression...the Ddim adds a nice unexpected turn in the progression.

I've PM'd you about a little experiment I'd like to try, just for kicks.
Kiril

Return to Art and Story