"Hi all....."

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

"Hi all....."

Postby mateus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Lontahv wrote:A bit less than three hours. A little more than two and a half.

I don't mean to brag. :P

Having good art helps a lot (thanks Justin!). You can just sit down and model from the art. And then tweak things to make them look right in 3d. Well, I have been using blender from before the GoW and making fan-ages. About 2 1/2 years ago i think. :) Just remember; the more you model the more you learn. And don't worry about things being right-on if an object is a little imperfect-looking, good. It makes the object look real rather than CG. :)

~Lontahv

Hi all,

I'm Mat from the TMP.

I am new to 3D in respect to Blender, having used Hammer to build some items in Torque.

I am more concept and art if that helps atall.

I am not quick as I do fairly detailed but also quick stuff too.

Some examples of my artwork, thaqt has been used to make 3d stuff.

I have requested Shell #421 so I am hopeing to get to grips with Blender and any help would much be appreciated. :)

This is my artwork changed to 3D

And an item i drew then was made 3d.

So if you think my basic portfolio can be of any use, please feel free to ask me.

My avi name is Mateus of the TMP in MO:UL but i have sent Aloys my email as well. :)

If not no problem, I hope to get on with Blender well, and look forward to some intersting projects with shell #421. lol.

Hugzz, XXX

Mat
Last edited by mateus on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mateus

Re: Link In Hut Construction

Postby Lontahv » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Ok Mateus.

The most important thing is to have a manageable mesh so that you can move single verts so it can be detailed. :) Blender's not that hard. You just have to get used to no subserf for your ages. And try not to apply subserf. This was the hardest challenge for me going from rendering stuff in blender to making ages for uru. :) Just play around a bit, and don't expect anything will come of it, really, so you're surprised when you make something great looking. :) I modeled right from ideas for a long time--this helps because then you have a mind of your own when you start working off concept. Just have fun an try to be creative. :)

Blender's interface is kind of strange at first but when you get good at it--it's faster than most other 3d programs. Just try to learn a few useful hotkeys and you should be good. Try to do a few tutorials (like Gus) just to get the hang of it. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby mateus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Lontahv wrote:Ok Mateus.

The most important thing is to have a manageable mesh so that you can move single verts so it can be detailed. :) Blender's not that hard. You just have to get used to no subserf for your ages. And try not to apply subserf. This was the hardest challenge for me going from rendering stuff in blender to making ages for uru. :) Just play around a bit, and don't expect anything will come of it, really, so you're surprised when you make something great looking. :) I modeled right from ideas for a long time--this helps because then you have a mind of your own when you start working off concept. Just have fun an try to be creative. :)

Blender's interface is kind of strange at first but when you get good at it--it's faster than most other 3d programs. Just try to learn a few useful hotkeys and you should be good. Try to do a few tutorials (like Gus) just to get the hang of it. :)

~Lontahv

TY Lontahv

I havent got an igloo what single verts means, and I think a mesh is the crazy diamond pattern thrown out by the editor!
I actually do mean this.

But if you say that sticking with Blender is good, and usefull I will.

So not know what subserf is, but I am sure given a correct amount of time I will. lol.

However nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I loved working with Hammer even tho it was basic, (I was told this but was interesting to me....), and I could put stuff places I wanted to.

When we did torgue we had to build a WAD file. Is this similar to something I have to do in here?

My perspective is, I build, I texture (with a WAD file), I import it?

Am I in the right direction? lol.

Hugzzz, XXX

Mat
mateus

Postby Lontahv » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:31 pm

Well....

first of all; Subserf is smoothing.

Second, a vert is a vertex which is a point in space.

Does Hammer have an "export" option in the "file" menu? If so, I'm sure you can import one of those file types with blender. If you go to--in blender--"file" -> "import" you can see all the types of files that blender can import. If you're lucky you'll get a textured model that you exported out of Hammer into blender. At the least will get your model. So, if you don't mind learning how to texture stuff in blender and exporting into uru with blender then you'll be fine modeling with Hammer. :) Just try all the types of files that Hammer can export(if it can) and then see if they match up with the ones that blender can import. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby BAD » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:18 pm

This topic moved out of the Yinfara section.

Mat,

I didn't move this cause you did anything wrong, but because your work warrants it's own thread. Your stuff looks great! :)

BAD
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Return to Art and Story