Concept for New Age: Eder Kaladh

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Concept for New Age: Eder Kaladh

Postby Naigahsehn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:52 am

I've been writing and sketching many ages for months now (purely for my own inquisitive pleasure), but I was delighted to hear that you can actually render and create them! So for my first rendered age, I've decided to go with a relatively simple design (since I'm still at a total loss for using rendering software :P).

This is what I envisioned:
Name: Eder Caladh
Number: ????
Dimensions: Approx. 315x225m (?) (avatar:???)
Lighting: Hazy, dim; early dawn.
Textures: Woody trunk, granulated sand, weathered rock, autumn (deciduous) foliage, reeds, lilies (pads and flowers).
Sounds: Croaking, buzzing, chirping, chirring, waves (as they lap shore).
Summary: A sheltered cove; rocky, weathered cliffs enclose the basin on three sides. Tall, deciduous trees populate the shallow basin. Reeds and lilies protrude from the water’s surface also. Insects and birds can be heard in the trees, but not seen - the croaks of some amphibian can also be heard. The time is just before sunrise. The season is autumn, and the foliage is tinted in shades of red and yellow. The air temperature is fairly cool, as is the water.

I myself am sort of an artist (atleast I am told so by my peers) so I've been busy at work sketching out my ideas and concepts for this age - my rest age. But I'd like other's opinions on this. Do you think that this idea is feasible? And is is alright?
I'll post some of my sketches at a later time.
Attachments
eder_kaladh.jpg
This is a quick sketch done on Painter IX.
eder_kaladh.jpg (133.29 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
~Naigahsehn
Naigahsehn

Re: Concept for New Age: Eder Kaladh

Postby Ruvinka » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Your illustration so far is excellent! The cove looks like you could really showcase your trees, and their colours.
I look forward to hearing more about it! Have you thought about animal life? You could have some really fun marine creatures in a cove like that.
Ruvinka

Postby pappou » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:18 pm

Welcome, Naigahsehn

You have a very nice bay there. Your details are few but delicate and productive – so far.
But what lies behind the hills?

That is always the way of the explorer. I think this question must seem premature, because the explorer is prone to pass by the lovely events at hand in order to get a grasp of the larger picture.

Still, as the creator of this age you must deal with that 'over the hill' problem. In other words, what is the purpose of your age?
pappou
pappou

Postby Naigahsehn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:00 am

Thanks for the comments. And I'll keep you posted on further developments.
Actually, I have come up with an idea for a arboreal primate - one I call a "Kaladh Macaque", which would live up in the dense canopy.
But yeah, marine life is a good idea - I hadn't even thought about it. Thanks :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pappou wrote:You have a very nice bay there. Your details are few but delicate and productive – so far.
But what lies behind the hills?

That is another problem I have yet to deal with. It is well that you mention it. I could have it as just a rocky island sloping out to the sea on the other side, or I could add more trees (a species which lives on land, but related to the marine kind of the cove). I could also have it as a massive mountain range stretching on for miles around.

As for a point: it is just a relatively simple starter age I wish to create, as a rest age or a garden age. That said, I could have an actual garden of sorts beyond the hills, connected by a cavern tunnel - that might fit with what I had in mind.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For rendering purposes, I will just stick with my cove design for now. I could just make the surrounding island a bit woody and rocky, but it will remain relatively the same. Also, the cliffs are too steep and unclimable that you could not figure what lies beyond them anyway, save the sounds of other creatures and a few tree tops visible along the edge.

As for the trees, I got the idea for them and the climate from British Columbia: these would be related to the sequioa or "Redwood" trees, and although most of the trees seen in the age grow in the sea and not on land, there are those that do thrive on land. It could be said that the bay was once dry, but sea levels rose through some means, and the trees caught in the basin adapted.
~Naigahsehn
Naigahsehn

Postby Naigahsehn » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 pm

This is a sketch I have of the island as a whole, with a slightly better image of the dominant tree life in the cove. This, unlike the last one, was done by-hand and quite quickly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the double-post - it was more of a seperate topic of sorts than an edit.
Attachments
Concept1_edited.JPG
Concept1_edited.JPG (185.21 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
~Naigahsehn
Naigahsehn

Return to Art and Story