Choorahl Age Concept

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Choorahl Age Concept

Postby Naigahsehn » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:09 am

Hi - this is another age I made sketches and designs - even storylines for - a while back, before I knew about this place :P
This image here I posted up on DevArt, but I think it'll work nicely as concept art for my age here (as that's what it is):
Choorahl_Age_concept_2_by_chosen_hero.jpg
Choorahl_Age_concept_2_by_chosen_hero.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 3562 times

It's name means "learning" - but it's more of a retreat of sorts. I named it this because in the story I wrote, this was the first age the protagonist wrote under the tutelage of his uncle, who knew the Art.

I might add in a couple puzzles, but definitely write-up further details and bring them to light as I progress.
Last edited by Naigahsehn on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Naigahsehn
Naigahsehn

Re: Choorahl Age Concept

Postby Ruvinka » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:05 pm

I like the shape of your island. It offers open ocean, bay and land locked water. That opens up a ton of possibilities for life. This would be a lot of fun to explore, and learn from. Since the name means learning why don't you make it an age for teaching students about the natual world. A person could learn all sorts of things and in such a lovely locale!
It would be so much fun to go to class on a tropical island and learn "Socrates" style out in the open.
Ruvinka

Postby Naigahsehn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:18 am

Ruvinka wrote:I like the shape of your island. It offers open ocean, bay and land locked water. That opens up a ton of possibilities for life. This would be a lot of fun to explore, and learn from. Since the name means learning why don't you make it an age for teaching students about the natual world. A person could learn all sorts of things and in such a lovely locale!
It would be so much fun to go to class on a tropical island and learn "Socrates" style out in the open.

Thanks :D This was only one of many designs I had for the age itself, but I held the same principals in all: open fields, tall peak, dense woodland, and lake. This was my favourite for shape and overall connectivity, so I chose it to be my concept.
But yes, I sorta like the idea of having it be a school of sorts - it's not what I originally had in mind, but it would go along quite well wouldn't it? Thank you very much for the idea :)
But would there be puzzles or places to facilitate these classes? If so, then we have a problem. You see, I'm just beginning to delve into the art of rendering, and my skills are... lacking.
Maybe... I could ask someone to render this for me? Like a community project? That way, I can come up with the concepts and ideas, and others who are better skilled with computer rendering can make it real. What do you think?
~Naigahsehn
Naigahsehn

Postby ametist » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:41 am

Oh, yes, and after class one can enjoy treasure hunts on the beach, following clues and hints given during class - 'Pay attention! Somewhere in this lecture will be given a clue for the evenings treasure hunt!' :D
ametist

Postby Jojon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:57 am

You are making some very nice design drawings, Naig - good thing we could snag you, before the cartographers/surveyors got their mitts on you. ;)

Great idea about the biology excursion age thing - puzzles should be able to fit beautifully into it, if they are designed as excercises for the students -- 'must understand the behaviour of $creature in relation to $plant, in order to coax them onto the pressure pad that raises the bridge' type stuff - or preferrably more natural.. :7

You say "render" a lot. Rendering is the process where the computer takes all the data you have set up and does the number crunching of turning that into the final output. With graphics, spcifically, in a real-time application this is done many times every second, but with Myst games people tend to use it mostly for prerendered - most often ray-traced - imagery. Which is it that you have in mind? :7
Jojon

Postby Naigahsehn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:29 am

By render, I mean making my sketches and concepts into usable models and ages on my computer. My skills in doing so are lacking at the moment.
I am learning, though - taking tutorials and such - but it will be quite some time before I can make my world :P
I guess I just need a little more patience lol
~Naigahsehn
Naigahsehn

Return to Art and Story