My first Age idea...

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

My first Age idea...

Postby MystMan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:37 pm

OK, I've been creating a design for an Age... I'll have some sketches later, but my scanner isn't working.

The first part of the Age is what I have sketched, and I haven't thought much about the second, but here goes:
You link into a forest, with a path at your feet. The sky is an emerald green, and the sun sapphire blue. You follow the path in an S-curve- but then it dead ends. Upon exploration of the forest, you come across some kind of ancient shrine (hopefully, but with my design possibly not. But it's an inessential detail right now). Elsewhere in the forest, NNE of the path's end, there is a cave, akin to those in Minkata, found in a clearing, covered with sticks and leaves (but it's pretty obvious it's there). There is a lever on one side that looks like just another stick, but when pulled opens up the Minkata-like cave, which is the main part of the Age. That's what I have so far... there is more to come.

Is this plausible?
Shorah b'shehmtee bihv! I'm a writer, and if you want to read my writing, the link is right by the AIM symbol.
MystMan

Re: My first Age idea...

Postby greendragoon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:56 pm

Sure. The sky can really be any color you want. As for the blue sun, I don't know if there are really any stars that shift that far into the blue spectrum, but you could always say it's light is shifted by gasses in the upper atmosphere. The rest of it is pretty normal.

As for an asthetic view. The green/blue sky will make it interesting to try to work with, but whether is flies or not really depends on the colors at work in your forest.

I would give some thought to how you want your age to flow. How will the explorer proceed through the age? I know your still pretty early in the planning stage, but give some thought to where you want the explorer to end up and how he/she should get there.
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby MystMan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:34 pm

OK, will do. Thanks.

Actually, I decided on that because that's the beginning setting for my book. I really want to be able to see what it would really look like. But the forest (though coincidentally it is the setting) I chose... Well... I don't know why. I guess I just like forests?

I'm glad I posted this so early. Otherwise it probably would have proceeded to be just annoying and stupid ^_^
Shorah b'shehmtee bihv! I'm a writer, and if you want to read my writing, the link is right by the AIM symbol.
MystMan

Postby greendragoon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:28 am

A lot if not most of the ages start out from a single concept or idea. :) This may be a feeling, or maybe a "Wouldn't it be cool if there was an age where the water flowed up?" or something like that. Then you branch out from there. In that sense, writing ages here is very similar to how Atrus described writing.

Oh, and since I forgot to say it in my first post, Welcome to the Guild. I too am currently working on my first age. I hope to have a release soon. :D
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby MystMan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Thanks! ^_^
I'll keep that one in mind, too. I've been going more with my writer's instinct- that is, hear an inspiration and then start. All of a sudden I have something completely different. lol

Oh, that's cool! Good luck with that!
MystMan

Return to Art and Story