My Hand-made Textures (Updated often)

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

My Hand-made Textures (Updated often)

Postby Jamey » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi guys,

I decided to make a topic here to post my textures I have made for various ages made by the Guild of Writers. You guys are free to use all of my textures as much as you like :D However, if you guys can, if you are making an age and you want to include credits (like Camp Bravo has a book with credits, thanks, etc.), do your best to try to include my name in the credits. I would recommend this, but this is NOT required for use of my textures, they are free for all to use, I'm just saying that if you can include credit for my work somewhere, I'd really appreciate it ;)

Enjoy! (Updated Regularly)

These are some of my first textures, they're not the best but still...:

Carpet:

Wood:

Cloth:

Rock:

Last edited by Jamey on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KI#46415
Jamey

Re: My Hand-made Textures (Everyone may use freely)

Postby groath » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:54 pm

awsome!! theres some really really good ones in there !! i see a red wood tree type or stained wood one and some carpet... also some cemeant and some marble looks in there!! so how did you make them??
end of the world is jsut going to be a big bang backwards... a gnab gib
groath

Postby Jamey » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:32 am

A few factors helped me make these textures :)

1. I took pictures of things around my house that I thought would look good in ages.
2. I used Photoshop to touch them up and get rid of imperfections

By the way, if anyone has any texture requests, just post them here or PM them to me, and I'll update them to this topic :)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Goofy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:22 pm

since you asked ;) :roll: I've been trying to find/make a wrought iron gate texture for my shell. Was experimenting with what andy did for his fence, but with no success. :(

I found 2 I liked Here

and here

They need to fit this area

I can't draw to save me life, but I know what I like ;)
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby Jamey » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:45 pm

Goofy wrote:since you asked ;) :roll: I've been trying to find/make a wrought iron gate texture for my shell. Was experimenting with what andy did for his fence, but with no success. :(

I found 2 I liked Here

and here

They need to fit this area

I can't draw to save me life, but I know what I like ;)

I'm not exactly sure if I can do a gate texture just yet, but I can make a solid texture for you like the ones in the first post if you like ;)

(Is about to post next update in a few minutes)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Jamey » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:03 pm

KI#46415
Jamey

Re: My Hand-made Textures (Updated often)

Postby Jamey » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:06 pm

KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Jamey » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:42 am

KI#46415
Jamey

Postby pappou » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:10 pm

Jamey
What a fine job you are doing on the textures. Thank you for your hard work and then for offering them to us, freely.
With the beautiful example of D'eux's new age, everyone's consciousness of textures is being stretched. It is not that we were unaware of textures before, but now we are sort of forced to wake up and listen. After all, everything must have its skin, and the bland world of plastic walls, floors and ceilings just fails to bring us that much closer to the Cyan ideal.

I am especially glad to notice how you are learning the details of texture presentation. For instance, earlier, you gave us that nice bluish gray heavy wool texture. Beautiful as the material was, there were problems with its depiction -- that is, for anyone trying to reuse it. The two problems i had were its [1] Perspective; and [2] Its change in coloring. Re:..........
Wool blu grey comparative small -01.png
Wool blu grey comparative small -01.png (250.38 KiB) Viewed 5479 times

A detail of your texture is on top, compared with my attempt at correction on the bottom.

[1] You may note that the detail of your pic on left is up close while that on the right trials off; this is due to the axis of the camera lens not being perfectly vertical to the surface of the texture; so you get a perspective effect of the right side trailing off into the distance. For me, this is difficult to merge, certainly continuously, but even through tiling.
[2] The darker color of your material on the left from that on the right presents the same problem. I have trouble merging it into my work.

But happily, i think you have spotted this problem yourself, for your succeeding work is showing good vertical alignment and more controlled lighting. So, i hope you don't mind that i say these things on your watch, because it may benefit others who are shooting their own textures.

Other issues to think about in doing your own textures is to keep the focus sharp and to carefully set the texture up orthographically: Make the grain run vertically / horizontally. Even if its a tile floor with a 45 degree angle to it, the texture should be presented orthographically. That way, it may be tiled for expansion, and the user may then rotate the angle to suit himself.
pappou
pappou

Postby Jamey » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:21 pm

Thanks so much for the tips :) I will definately keep these in mind & Improve the lighting as much as I can, I've been working on that detail a lot, but now I know I need to really push myself to make sure these textures are flawless :)
KI#46415
Jamey

Next

Return to Art and Story