My Hand-made Textures (Updated often)

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: My Hand-made Textures (Updated often)

Postby Jamey » Sat May 03, 2008 5:52 pm

KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Jamey » Tue May 06, 2008 4:40 pm

KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Tinuviel » Wed May 07, 2008 7:51 am

Hi, Jamey. Just wanted to say thank you for giving all this effort in making textures for us. I have absolutely no skill at this, and getting free textures is not easy :D I know I'm going to use some of these when I finaly get back to modelling again.
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Jamey » Wed May 07, 2008 9:14 am

No Problem Tinuviel, and thanks so much for using them. :)

And remember, if you guys need anything specific from me and want to make a request, either post it in this topic, or PM me :D

I'm also always open to tips and if you guys know anything I can do to improve my skills, either post it in this topic, or PM me :P
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Lontahv » Wed May 07, 2008 3:08 pm

I like the forum thread with the pics. But there is a problem: it takes a few minutes to load each page, and that makes it hard to "browse" them. I suggest that you make a PhotoBucket account and not make it private. That way, you can have thumb-nails auto-created and albums (in this case, they could be texture categories). :)

Thanks. :)

Keep up the great work.

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Jojon » Wed May 07, 2008 3:13 pm

I wish I had half of your drive, Jamey. :)

*leeches images*

One rather neat little trick, if one's camera is one of those we-won't-give-you-a-whole-lot-of-control-oh-no sorts and one is a bit lazy (well,yes, I am talking about myself basically), is to carry a uniformally medium grey (*no* tint) paper, when doing one of one's texture war-driving sessions. Then you lock the camera's automatic exposure and white balance adjustment operations onto the paper, filling the frame, for every time you change lighting conditions. Easy going for the not too picky fellow... :7
Jojon

Postby Jamey » Wed May 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Jojon wrote:I wish I had half of your drive, Jamey. :)

*leeches images*

One rather neat little trick, if one's camera is one of those we-won't-give-you-a-whole-lot-of-control-oh-no sorts and one is a bit lazy (well,yes, I am talking about myself basically), is to carry a uniformally medium grey (*no* tint) paper, when doing one of one's texture war-driving sessions. Then you lock the camera's automatic exposure and white balance adjustment operations onto the paper, filling the frame, for every time you change lighting conditions. Easy going for the not too picky fellow... :7

Cool! I'll try to give it a shot sometime :)

and Lontahv, I've been talking to the MODS about getting a development Journal on here, which should make it easier to browse textures. I'll let you know if I get one ;)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Jamey » Fri May 09, 2008 2:49 pm

By the way guys, If I make a texture, and it doesn't look good, let me know about it. I'm always open to suggestions and criticism, basically anything that can make me a better texture designer :D

By the way, how are my textures working for you guys? (To whoever has used them)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Raider7 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:39 pm

Jamey,
Great textures well done.
Raider7

Postby BenB » Sat May 10, 2008 9:13 am

Jamey wrote:......... I'm always open to suggestions and criticism, basically anything that can make me a better texture designer :D

Jamey - first, thanks for your efforts! You definitely have the eye for this work!

If you're looking for suggestions........

- Those that have suggested you organize your postings differently have a point: as more and more of your images accumulate, they will be difficult to browse. Photography and stock-image pros have software and systems specifically for organizing their images under categories, be they image subject, image size, tileable/non, and so on. Usually, in order to enhance fast browsing of what may be very large images, the posters display these libraries of categorized images as thumbnails that will download quickly; the users can select these thumbnails in order to download the full-size images. Sometimes the full-size images are stored and downloadable in a variety of resolutions/image sizes. Here are a few of the existing resources of free images online, so that you can get a feel for how they organize their image libraries:
http://www.cgtextures.com/
http://www.burningwell.org/
http://www.oneodddude.net/FreeTextures.php
http://imageafter.com/
...and URU stalwart bpgisme has her own gallery of tileable textures at http://bpgisme.com/galleryimages/design/index.html

- As you might guess, hundreds or thousands of images stored at multiple resolutions can eat up a lot of server space. While the suggestion of setting up an account on an external service such as photobucket makes sense, it'd also be pretty neat if we had an internal library of the resources we develop, for our own use; one that wasn't quite so available to the general public. I don't know whether the host of this site has either the storage or the bandwidth resources to sustain the kind of internal service I'm imagining - maybe Tsar Hoikas has some input on this?

- The grail of texturing is the seamlessly tileable texture that can be repeated over your model (without showing the seams at its edges as it repeats). Some months ago there was a thread here about tiling, but I can't seem to find it now. A couple of really great apps for creating seamless tileable images were discovered and discussed, as I recall the best were
Seamless Texture Generator at about US$35, and
Genetica, at about US$100 for a basic version up to US$700 for their ultrapro version!
....both are available as free temp demos.

Keep it up, Jamey! I think you've initiated something here that can develop into a great resource specially tailored to the needs of the agecrafting community!
BenB

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story