The Journal Game

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

The Journal Game

Postby belford » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:37 pm

We have a hiatus, and we are no closer to putting Ages into the Uru Live engine.

This does not mean we cannot Write. People are working on offline Ages, updating the Blender plugin, working on Age designs, art, music, etc. All these are forms of Writing. On the other hand, they are mostly contained within the GoW forum (and other Writers sites). I don't think we're doing anything which is aimed at the Uru player community.

I propose a Writing game, to take place on the MOUL forums. Specifically, on the Creativity forum. This could be considered fanfic. The aim, however, is to create an Age, in public, in a way which gives it weight and clarity and detail. And is interesting for everybody to follow.

--- The proposal: ---

This is a game for two people, posting on a public web forum. They will take turns, each posting once a day. (Maybe twice if someone is feeling energetic.)

The structure is an explorer's journal, as he travels through a lost Age. As he explores, he discovers pages of an older journal -- one left by an inhabitant of the Age at its height. He inserts the older pages between his own, as he finds them (or perhaps as he translates them).

Thus, the *current* entries alternate with the *historic* entries. Each player is responsible for one set of entries, and so the players alternate as well. I will refer to the players as "Present" and "Past".

The players should not plan anything out in advance. They can exchange private messages to clarify details, but the primary interaction is the alternation of public posts.

Each player starts with ten white stones and one black stone. (Virtual stones -- purely a score-keeping device. This is not a competitive game, but we keep track of certain things.)

The Present player goes first. He writes a journal entry, from the explorer's point of view, about linking into the Age and what he sees. This should, of course, include finding a mouldering old journal.

At the end of the entry, the Present player adds a special "bookkeeping" line. This notes one to three elements from the entry which will turn out to be important. The elements can be anything mentioned in that entry: images, sounds, symbols, smells, memories, events, ideas or guesses about the Age. This is *introducing an element*.

(Note that the journals themselves can't be introduced as elements. They're taken for granted.)

Introducing an element *costs a white stone*. The bookkeeping line should note the player's current score. At the end of his first turn, Present might have seven white and one black (if he introduces three elements).

The Past player then takes his first turn. He writes the first entry of the older journal. He, too, can introduce up to three elements, spending white stones to do it. His bookkeeping line will therefore list up to six elements.

Each entry should be consistent with all previous entries. Naturally, there have been changes in the Age between the two eras. But the changes should make sense. (If a change is particularly striking or inexplicable, maybe you should spend a white stone on it!)

The players continue to take turns. Each player must introduce one to three elements per turn, as long as he has white stones left.

On each turn after your first, you can do something new: *resolve elements*. This means wrapping up one to three elements in some way, in your entry. Maybe the explorer figures out what an element really means. Maybe one element is a clue to another; that resolves both of them. Maybe the explorer realizes that two elements are connected. Resolving an element does not eliminate it from the story -- it can still be mentioned in later journal entries. But the need to explain it, or tie it in, is finished.

When you resolve elements, delete them from the bookkeeping line. But resolving more than one element together gives you a reward. Tying two elements together gives you a black stone; resolving *three* together is worth *two* black stones.

What are black stones for? On your turn, you can spend a black stone to *re-introduce* a resolved element. And then it's the other player's job to resolve it again. (It doesn't matter who introduced it in the first place.) You don't have to mention the element in your entry, although you may. The black stone just ensures that something new will be discovered, eventually, about that element. The other player doesn't have to resolve it immediately, but he has to do it by the end of the game.

You can also spend *two* black stones to *contradict* something the other player has written. (Add a note to the bookkeeping line saying exactly what changed.) The other player's next entry must include the discovery that his previous entry was wrong! He is free to invent the reason for his character's mistake.

(Note that you can contradict your own previous entry for free. That's just writing about a new discovery. However, if your original idea has been picked up by the other player, such that changing your mind contradicts *his* entries, then you have to pay the two black stones.)

The game ends when each player is out of white stones, and all elements have been resolved. (Thus, each player will have introduced ten elements.) Each player then gets one more entry to wrap up his character's story. (You may not spend black stones on this last clean-up turn.)
belford

Re: The Journal Game

Postby Pryftan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:43 am

This seems complicated, but I think it could take off if it's actually attempted a few times. I'd be willing to give it a shot with you, if you'd like.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby belford » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:03 pm

Complicated, you say? Less than a week after Ahnonay? :)

It's actually simple once you see it going. I need to write up an example -- a few turns, not a complete story. I'll stick that on my web site.

I'd like to try it, starting next week. (After I update the web site.) However, it's likely to run about two weeks -- which runs into (U.S.) Thanksgiving. Are you going to be online over that weekend? It's no problem for me; I'll be busy on the holiday Thursday itself, but I don't want the game to shut down for four or five days in a row.
belford

Postby Pryftan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:06 pm

I'll be around.. heading home but I can still rock the message boards from my laptop. ;D

What I meant by seeming complicated is just that, it looks very complex reading the rules, but looking at an example will reveal it to be inherently simple.. so I feel like our providing one would be a good idea.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Owehn » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:09 pm

The game really is quite simple - the original post just has lots of examples and explanations, so it appears long and complex. The process can be summarized as follows:

A round consists of each player adding an entry to a journal. At the end of each entry, players use a bookkeeping line to record any "plot" elements introduced which they want to be resolved later on: the bookkeeping line itself consists of all unresolved elements so far. (When a player resolves a previously unresolved element, it is removed from the bookkeeping line.)

To mediate the introduction and resolution of these elements, the players use black and white stones. Each player begins with 10 white stones and one black stone. Introducing a new element costs one white stone. Resolving n elements in a single entry earns you n-1 black stones. Reintroducing a resolved element costs one black stone. Contradicting another player's entry costs two black stones (plus an explanation in the entry itself). Otherwise, all entries must be consistent with each other.

The game ends when all players have spent all their white stones (each has introduced 10 story elements) and all elements are resolved. At this point, each player is allowed one concluding entry.
Owehn

Postby ChaosSong » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:19 pm

I don't fully understand and am looking forward to a model...

But I do know that I want to play!

Can it be done with more than two people or is that too much?
KI# 09575827
ChaosSong

Postby belford » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:13 am

I just got the rules and (partial) sample game posted:

http://eblong.com/zarf/uru/rj/essay-mor ... games.html

Two players is what I had in mind. It's straightforward and matches a lot of the Myst games we're familiar with: you are exploring Now, and learning about an event that happened Then.

There's no reason you couldn't invent a similar game for more people, but it would get a lot more complicated. With three players, there are *three* relationships to worry about instead of just one. I think you'd risk one of the players getting sidelined and not part of the "real story", whatever that turned out to be.

I figure, start simple and then work up later.
belford

Postby Owehn » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:55 pm

This sounds like fun, I'd like to play at some point too. And finish off that story, Belford! I don't want to be out-gribben by the raths!
Owehn

Postby belford » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:50 pm

Pryftan offered first, so he and I are now going at it, on the MOUL Creativity forum:

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=225122

My first entry is up.
belford

Postby ChaosSong » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:03 pm

I would prefer to play the Past writer, Owehn or anyone, if you don't mind being Present. Also, I may need help keeping track of stones.

I'll play the first person who replys with a thread they started.
KI# 09575827
ChaosSong

Next

Return to Art and Story