IC GOW background

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

IC GOW background

Postby Szark » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi ya all. Could you help me out with an IC version on how someone got a hold of the Rehevkor and when ( like how many years ago), thus leading to the start of new ages been written. I was thinking it might have been around 2003/4 and someone copied the Rehevkor and then smuggled it out of the DRC's office. From there more copies were made, then distributed and the rest is history. I do have a purpose for this info.

Szark
Szark

Re: IC GOW background

Postby Lontahv » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:59 pm

I will state my view as plainly as I can. I don't mean to offend anyone.

DRC/D'ni history is completely Cyan's domain. I think that trying to make something IC that isn't (this site is not IC by a long shot) will end is misery. Also, Cyan seems to have their own plans for fan-ages fitting into the story (if they can ever get it together :P ) . We don't want to disturb any Cyan fanage ideas (you do want their story to work don't you?).

Thanks for reading. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Tweek » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:53 pm

Well Cyan could make Kodama bend over and poop rainbows and Rehevkors to explains how we got the Age writing down but it makes no difference to me, I established long ago how I did it. As others have done so, I'm afraid in this it isn't going to be all down to Cyan as things have already been established by us.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Szark » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:55 am

It looks like my good intentions have hit a nerve. Lontahv I am not taking about what future plans Cyan has but what the history was. I thought it might be nice to have an IC look at the past.
We don't want to disturb any Cyan fanage ideas (you do want their story to work don't you?).
No I don't but you don't even no why I asked.
Sorry to disturb you, I will not make the same mistake again. Thanks for your comments.
I don't mean to offend anyone.
I am not offended by you cander but I am upset that by the negativity, oh well I have to find something else worthy of writing about.
Take care all and hope the future bodes well for you.
Szark
Szark

Postby Tweek » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:15 am

Ah don't let their sternness shoot you down. It is something that needs to be addressed in my opinion, Cyan may have plans for fan Ages, we don't know those plans thus we don't even know if they will address how we learned the Art, having a plan in place ready to go is an alright idea.

He is right however, D'ni/DRC history is Cyan's baby. Explorer history is not however, that is ours and that is what is being dealt with. Cyan can't and wont control everything, by opening it up and making Uru a living thing they gave part of the control away to be placed in fans hands (like the rise of The Great Tree group).

Cyan can say "Hey this is how fan Age origins is going to happen" people can either run with it or bring it their own way. For example, when the DRC pulled out in 2004 myself and friends got back into to the city and stayed there for a number of years, it's logical that in our time we explored D'ni and found what we needed to begin and learn Age writing. Now if I had rendered the place in D'ni where the books are found and weaved that into my lore of being in D'ni then that would be problematic, but I left it vague so regardless of what Cyan does in the future it still works out ok.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Szark » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:06 am

Thanks Tweek. Yeah I have just finished reading your blog. Good writing and a darn good read. Well done. I do get the point that Lontahv made but I was trying to have some fun and entertain people with an IC approch that wouldn't rock the boat. A creative piece, hey just like the blogs out there. This is why I posted the thread in the first place, so I wouldn't upset the apple cart.

I am not going into the origins now. I have worked around this myself and not even going into how and when. I woundn't want to upset anyone. I wasn't writing about how it would fit in to the future story. I wasn't going to write about what should happen next. A couple of posts in the Uru needs to be Cyan thread, gave me the idea to write an IC piece. I was just going to mention how humans started writing, but know I see the error in my ways. That I thank you for.

Contructive comments are good, thanks Tweek for understanding.

Szark
Szark

Postby greendragoon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:42 am

I've always liked how events ic can mirror events ooc. From that I think a couple of "facts" emerge:

1. I the wake of the first cavern closure, some of the explorers stay behind. During this time some basic age writing is discovered and explorer created ages begin to emerge. (This is about the time that the early age creation tools came about, right? This also fits well with Tweek's explanation.)

2. The cavern is reopened. A message from Yeesha tells the explorers to "Find a way, make a home." Eventually an official GoW is formed, but before the DRC can release their research on age creation, the DRC runs out of funding and the cavern closes again.

3. In the wake of the cavern closure, the now unsupported GoW decides to continue age writing without the DRC. This new movement expends the explorer understanding of the Art, but with out the help of the DRC, or even Yeesha, the process is very much trial and error.

4. At some future date, the DRC returns (I hope :) ) and is able to give the explorers the proper instruction of age writing. The GoW returns to the cavern with their new found information and begins creating ages under the watch of the DRC.

..OR..

The DRC doesn't return and the explorers are left with only what they can figure out.

..OR..

The DRC returns but chooses not to release the tools and age writing remains an underground skill. (Seriously though, if this was going to happen, why start the GoW in the first place.)

..OR..

The DRC, with limited funding is able to open the doors, but is unable/unwilling to provide any age writing materials. And some limited writing occurs in secret, but with the DRC watching, none of the pirate books see wide spread release.

..OR..

The DRC comes back, looks at what the explorers have figured out on their own and say, "Looks like you've pretty much figured it out. Continue what your doing and we'll see about public release."

..OR..

What ever Cyan decides to do.

That at least is my take. Feel free to ammend, alter, disagree or say, "Greendragoon, your crazy! Now go sit in the corner."
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby Trylon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:52 am

Hmm,
Why on earth would we need the DRC to keep access to the Caverns? (IC speaking)
I hope that when we can return to explore the cavern together it will be without the DRC, or at least without the DRC formally influencing our access to the cavern.
I'd love to see some other Cyan-Introduced group than the DRC (maybe including some previous DRC characters) as the main storyline propeller.
If the DRC shows up again like they did before, they're (IC) losing their credibility to me. A new group might spur some new creative story.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby greendragoon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:51 pm

That's a good question. Who knows how Cyan will explain the revival of Uru. Let alone, what (from an IC point of view) is stopping us from going back as a group. Unfortunately, I imagine we'll have to wait until Uru's revival for the official answer to either question... Ah, waiting, I know thee well. :roll:

I suppose that the return of URU before i.e. Until Uru, had nothing to do with the DRC, so it's possible that if a similar situation comes about we may not see a Cyan-controlled entity in the game. Although that gave me a thought, what if Yeesha became our main point of contact with Cyan? :shock: That would be kind of cool. 8-)

Btw, if you want one IC theory on what's keeping us out, this thread is a good read.
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Return to Art and Story