Looking for classic ambiance

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Looking for classic ambiance

Postby Kierra » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm hoping a musician here is up to the challenge of creating a looping ambient piece for my Age Aerie.

There is a gallery of paintings that need a "classical" ambiance. Something with a piano maybe, or strings.

I'm looking for a somber sound, something that would be nice to hear in the background while viewing art.

~Kia
Kierra

Re: Looking for classic ambiance

Postby Pryftan » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:54 pm

I'm not much of a pianist, unfortunately. My main instrument is guitar, which I can back up with some pretty nice sounding synthesized strings. If a classical picked guitar kinda thing would work I might be able to help you there.. I've got an idea in mind and I should be able to record a little thing of it tomorrow. No biggie if it doesn't fit.. we can always use more music floating around =)
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Kierra » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:40 am

indeed!

Thank you for giving it a shot, I can't wait to hear it. :)

I'll gather a few screenshots to post soon so those who would like to give it a shot can "get a feel" for the area. :)

~Kia
Kierra

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:44 am

Kierra, I'm just a bit concerned about the copyrights on those pretty pictures hanging on the walls of Aerie. You probably know all about copyright law from being involved with Age creation this long, but I just wanted to be sure that it's okay to use them. :) Are they in the public domain, personal creation, or...?
Jennifer_P

Postby Kierra » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:56 am

Good question. :)

I have no idea. They are mostly images that I've had on my computer for a long time, so I have no idea where I got them, who made them, etc.

Mostly they are just place holders until I can find/create images that I am sure are copy-right free. I'm keeping them there for now...if and or when publication to Uru Live becomes imminent, the gallery paintings will be replaced.

Until then they are lovely to look at while I test Aerie :D

~Kia
Kierra

Postby Pryftan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:43 am

Here's a tentative little shot at it: http://x3ndou.freepgs.com/classicalthing.mp3 Again, it'll end suddenly, as it's meant to loop.

Still have no guitar cable for my electric, so it's miced acoustic and since it's so quiet you can REALLY hear the noise. For a final mix I'd redo it with clean electric guitar and maybe add more string stuff, I dunno. Depends.

It's pretty quiet. Definitely backgroundy stuff.
Pryftan

Postby Kiril » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:53 am

I have a full 96+ track digital MIDI studio. It's my other hobby besides Myst. Writing and arranging music is sort of my thing. I can do sound effects, original music, ambience etc etc. Right now I'm in the process of moving everything in my studio to the other side of the room to better accommodate some of my newer equipment. Once done, I'll be able to create and upload all sorts of things.

Also, I'm happy to work in conjunction with someone else. Because sound files can be easily shared, this is possible.

At any rate, I'd like to give it a shot. Hopefully, later this month I'll be able to upload some samples.
Kiril

Postby Kiril » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:57 am

Pryftan wrote:Here's a tentative little shot at it: http://x3ndou.freepgs.com/classicalthing.mp3 Again, it'll end suddenly, as it's meant to loop.

Still have no guitar cable for my electric, so it's miced acoustic and since it's so quiet you can REALLY hear the noise. For a final mix I'd redo it with clean electric guitar and maybe add more string stuff, I dunno. Depends.

It's pretty quiet. Definitely backgroundy stuff.

Pryftan,

Can I ask what you used to make the recording -- software wise, I mean? I'm using Pro Tools. I like the guitar progression...simple and creates a good mood.
Kiril

Postby Pryftan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:18 am

I used my MBox into Sony ACID. The strings were synthesized in Reason. I wish I could get my hands on a copy of Pro Tools.. using the MBox with it would be perfect.
Pryftan

Postby Kiril » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:05 am

Pryftan wrote:I used my MBox into Sony ACID. The strings were synthesized in Reason. I wish I could get my hands on a copy of Pro Tools.. using the MBox with it would be perfect.

I'm using the MBox mini, which is all I need, given the rest of my set up. It came with the ProTools. I also have Reason and Xpand! Did you record this piece as three separate tracks? (I think I heard three) and I assume the guitar was live and the Reason was all MIDI files?
Kiril

Next

Return to Art and Story