Riven: A story idea

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Riven: A story idea

Postby GPNMilano » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:54 am

I wasn't going to use this idea, as It just came to me today, and I really don't have interest in putting aside the ages I'm working on to start a new one again. So here it is: The Star Fissure is a link to Earth. This is established canon. The Stranger got back from Earth by falling through the fissure in Riven, during its collapse, along with the Telescope and large Moiety dagger. And our arrival at the Cleft after completing Yeesha's Journey.

And today, while reading through the canon history of Myst, i remembered a very important detail that had escaped me until today. Gehn used to use the Star fissure for experiments. He'd throw the Rivenese into the fissure as part of these experiments. Now what if, since the Fissure is a semi-stable link to Earth. These Rivenese actually survived. The idea I had was for a story chronicling a Riven Man/Woman's experiences after falling through the Fissure and arriving here on Earth. I'm not sure how this would fit into someone's age. my thoughts were that one of the explorers, after visiting D'ni, would do some research into the cultures surrounding the Cleft at the time after Atrus trapped Gehn on Riven, and learn of ancient indian, or spaniard legend, of a strange man/woman who was found wandering the desert etc.

I just thought i'd throw that out there, and see if anyone wanted to use it in an age journal or something.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Re: Riven: A story idea

Postby Trylon » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:19 pm

Well, it sounds like an interesting enough idea!
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:02 am

Maybe the Rivenese person could meet up with descendants from Keta's family, for a really weird coincidence.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby robbieagray » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:Maybe the Rivenese person could meet up with descendants from Keta's family, for a really weird coincidence.

Can some one inform me who Keta is? :?:
The Bahro shall rise once more. All hail the Bahro!
robbieagray

Postby Tweek » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:36 am

She was Atrus' mother and Gehn's wife, she died at childbirth, she's also known as Leira.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Lontahv » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:21 pm

Who gives you back the trap-book after you get... er... darted in Tay?
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Trylon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Afaik it's some unnamed girl - I think it might be Katran's sister
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Tweek » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:48 am

Thats Nelah a childhood friend of Katran/Catherine's.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby robbieagray » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:01 pm

I came up with this small idea where someone some how built a structure within a fissure on another age. The idea came to me when I was at the Washington State Adventure’s Dynamics course on 9/24/08, when I saw one of the climbing courses where you had to climb up these obstacles to this “portal” that you had to sit on. That is where I got the idea.

Now you may laugh at me when I finish saying this but please hear me out. Maybe the writing within a linking book determines where you land when “falling” through a fissure. After all as far as we know this writing feature was taught to Catherine by Anna a.k.a. Ti’ana and Yeesha learned it form one of her parents, so it is possible that the fissure had been created long before by previous D’ni. Perhaps a D’ni writer wrote this long before the fall of D’ni as a kind of “test” of the art. Maybe he used two ages for this experiment. One age where the fissure existed, and another age that had a “landing spot” that was connected to the other age’s fissure.

Now why would a D’ni want to create such a structure? After all there really isn’t anything down there that isn’t already in sight. Or is there? Perhaps he (or she for that matter) viewed the fissure as the “final fronter” or perhaps they viewed it like an “emergency EXIT” portal just in case he or she lost their linking book or incase the return book was some how destroyed. Maybe they thought it would serve as a cool study or to raise their status with the natives of the age.

Or it could be a Bahro structure, thus revealing more on Bahro culture and shed some light on the present issues with the Bahro. Even if the structure is D’ni we could place hidden Bahroglyphs in the structure.

I hope that those of you who read this actually deem something worthy of your attention and if not then just continue adding post of your own and keep on developing this storyline by other means.
The Bahro shall rise once more. All hail the Bahro!
robbieagray

Return to Art and Story