Concept art/Teaser something

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Concept art/Teaser something

Postby Trylon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:55 am

Hi, I remember someone asking a while ago if the RAD contestants could post some concept art or intermediate images of their ages.
(Can't find the post itself, since both "art" and "concept" are apparently too common words :x )

Well, anyway, got one teaser image for ya here. Enjoy!

(Oh, and before anyone asks, no I can't speak Irish, it took me forever just to get these few words together ;)
But ah well, it's part of the backstory...)
Last edited by Trylon on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Re: Concept art/Teaser something

Postby Aloys » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:48 am

Interesting. Have you done that spiral structure in Blender? I'm currently looking for an easy way to do those in Blender.. I don't want to have to reinstall Max just to make a spiral.. :x
Aloys

Postby Trylon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:54 am

It's all Blender.
I figured out how to use the "Screw" function to get this effect.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Aloys » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:38 am

I'm aware of the screw function but I can't get it to do anything remotely advanced like what you did, I can only move the 3d cursor around to change the screw center.. I'll have to look at the blender doc, I must be missing something.

[edit] Nevermind, I just found out how to use it with the help of the doc (here). It's the whole profile/extrude path setup in a single object I couldn't understand at first, that's a weird way to work, it even extrude the extrude path at the same time so you have to delete it afterwards.. Odd.
I would never have guessed without the doc, guess that's what docs are for. :p
Thanks for the nod in the right direction. :)
Aloys

Postby Trylon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:55 am

The trick consists of two things (apart from setting the center of the screw with the 3D cursor):
1) besides the vertices that make up the spiral's cross-section, you also need to add a line consisting of two vertices connected by an edge in your object.
This line will show the screw function the line along which to perform the screw action. (For a spiral stairs this line should probably straight down, and in the center).
2) You can't run the screw function from top view. You need side-view or front-view. Don't know exactly why, it's contrary to the behaviour of Spin and SpinDup.
Trylon

Postby J'Kla » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:12 am

I have a spiral passage in a two modular ages of self contained passages release is in abeyance at the moment pending me learning enough Python to make my door puzzle work.
J'Kla

Return to Art and Story