Japanese Garden

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Japanese Garden

Postby Dot » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:00 pm

It's the same one, D'Lanor.
Dot

Postby Jonnee » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:12 am

I have to say: WHOW!!
Just discovered the screenshots and I really like them. Very great work. 8-)
Where can I download the age? I'm using ULM, not UAM. May you post an external link please? Thank you.
Jonnee

Postby ddb174 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:25 am

Here's the link Mystified posted: http://www.z-machines.com/mystexplorer/Tehr%27Dovah.7z

But I would of course recommend using UAM: it has all the Ages, is up-to-date, and doesn't have corrupted file/broken mirror problems. I guess you've been gone for a bit, so I should mention that it's been rewritten as a part of Drizzle: http://alcugs.almlys.org/Drizzle
ddb174

Postby Mystified Explorer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:31 am

Thanks for all the kind comments :)

I am planning to release a version 2 at some point which should see much of the UV/normals issues sorted - it was mainly the deadline, technical issues and RL getting in the way that resulted in the heavy lack of polish. Rest assured I intend to fix it up in the coming months, as well as add more interactivity and possibly a new area :)

Also a special thanks to Turjan who composed the music (originally for SftSoK, but that is on hold it would seem) :)
Mystified Explorer

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:51 pm

May I also suggest adding geostate values to your waveset so that those of us with low end graphics do not have to stare into a big black hole?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Mystified Explorer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Sorry I'm a complete noob when it comes to technical stuff like that - I just followed the tutorial. My Bad :oops:
Mystified Explorer

Postby matthornb » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:34 am

I linked into the age and while I definitely liked it, I was honestly a bit disappointed.

The textures didn't seem as good as they ought to have been; I would hope that you'd aim for photorealism in the textures. The garden was also a little smaller than I'd imagined it'd be.

This garden has a great deal of promise but I think you'll need to improve the textures and lighting do do justice to the model itself, which is excellent. Granted, I can tell you had to reduce the polycount to get it into Uru, but still, it's a very nice model and it could be a lot prettier-looking with nice light-baked, realistic textures and some reflection mapping in the water.

Anyway, I've always loved Japanese gardens - I'm even modelling one myself for Isola (isolaiphone.com) - and I've always loved the garden ages in Uru. Kemo, Delin, Tsogahl - now if someone can do a Japanese garden in Uru that lives up to that level of quality it'd be great, and I think you're in a good position to do that.

You're not quite there yet. But I really, really hope you get there because this is a great concept and a great start to what could be a truly beautiful age.
matthornb

Postby Mystified Explorer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:39 am

I hear what you say there. To be honest I was in a hurry to submit it for the DAWN contest. I'm working on texturing it properly on and off, but I have been very busy. Plus I'm working on something new which should be cool when it's done :)
Mystified Explorer

Postby diafero » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:45 am

Cool to hear you are still alive - hopefully you can fix the vertex and texture issues :)
Maybe you can also have a look at your waveset(s)? They lack the geostate settings and as a result I can not see them on my Linux box.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 am

We need age builders for geostate testing. Please look here for more information.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Previous

Return to Art and Story