A Teaching Age...

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

A Teaching Age...

Postby Sh'aeri » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:02 am

Hi everyone...

My thanks to y'all for allowing me in here, and if I've not posted this in the right spot, mods, please fix it for me.

Ever since I started out in Myst, I've been fascinated by the glyphs, numbers and all of the components of the spoken language. But, we all have to learn our alphabet before we can write, right?

I was wondering if anyone had the time/expertise to help me out with this. Remember, I'm a texture artist and I've been skinning 3D models for over 4 years now. I'm just not skilled in building 3D models or how it works.

I started to try to describe directly what I would like to see in an age that would teach me the basics, a kind of interactive Rehevkor.

Anyhow...well, I fell flat while trying to describe it in written (technical) format, because all truth be told, I wouldn't know where to start to build something like this. So, since I don't know all of the technical mumbo-jumbo that would go into pulling it off, I'd prefer if you saw it with me through the eyes of a 7 year-old D'ni girl, with her adult self telling the tale of her first day at school.

My First Day At School

When I was a little girl, I remember the apprehension of going to strange places. None was so frightening than the thought of going to school, classrooms filled with children that I didn't know. But, in my seventh year, there was no other thought to be had about my development, I was going to school, whether I liked it or not.

I remember the orange light swelling up in the great lake that morning, as I pushed the blankets from my legs, I piled the pillows under my knees so I could sit up as high as I could to pull back the shades of my window and look out onto the city of D'ni. I could hear the footsteps passing over the stone in my home, and as I sat on my bed, cut from the stone of the room, I knew the day had come that I would face the great unknown. I remember my Mother and Father coming to reassure me that everything would be fine. I have to admit, I was very excited to go to the Great Library. I had been there many times before to link to ages where my family spent time away from D'ni. We had been to worlds filled with white sand beaches, odd looking birds and great oceans of crystalline blue.

My mother, at hearing my stirring, came into my room, helped me dress and took me down to the kitchen for a breakfast of home-made bread and gooey jam. I think I was far too distracted by the anticipation of the days events to eat much. So, noticing that my appetite was less than voracious, my mother prepared us to leave the house.

As we walked the worn stone up to the library, I could already see in the distance, the strange man that had come to visit my parents in our home just weeks before to talk about my education. My father bid him "Shorah" and presented me to him. I remember the kindness and warmth in his eyes as he asked me, "Scared, little one?" I feigned bravery as I looked at him and said, "I'm not afraid of anything." "Is that so?", he said, "Well, it sounds like you're ready, it's time to head off to the Literacy Age." He gave my parents a nod, my parents hugged me and told me how proud they were of me and sent me off with the man with the kind eyes.

As we walked into the Library, he said, "My name is Etha, I'll be looking after you in the Literacy Age as your tutor. Don't worry little one, you're not the first young person I've taken there. Everyone must go to it, it's how we learn how to read, write and count, even how to do our simple, yet daunting, D'ni Mathematics. Everything you learn to become literate, you do there. Have you ever heard of the Rehevkor?", he asked. I nodded. "Well, where we're going is a place that is kind of like being able to play with the Rehevkor." I had seen the Rehevkor in my house, occasionally my Father took it down so I could show him a word I had seen while out with my mother in the shopping districts and he would tell me what it meant. This strange man, Etha, was taking me to the place I could learn how to read and write. The thought of learning those things bothered me a bit because that meant I wouldn't be able to bother Father in the middle of one of his experiments or push shut the grand volume he was reading to sit in his lap and have him show me the beautiful glyphs that made up our language. But then, a bit of mischievousness welled up in me as I thought of reading to him, instead of him always reading to me and the surprise it would be for him if I could do it. I looked up into Etha's jade colored eyes and said, "Ok, I'm ready to go."

As we walked through the Library, I saw families heading off for the common ages to take family trips, others, like the group uniformly dressed in lime green, who, I could only guess, were part of the Guild of Chemists carrying packages full of test tubes and beakers heading off to study an age. I even saw a Crimson Cloaked man from the Guild of Legislators rush by to meet a group of colleagues that had already started to link through for what I could only guess was a lecture in a Guild of Legislator's Age.

Then, as we kept walking, we rounded the corner of one of the grand bookcases, in what looked like a well used area of the library, stood a short, yet simple, dais that had several tutors like Etha and students like myself, lined up and linking through to what I could only guess was the Literacy Age. We approached the dais and Etha was welcomed with warm greetings and was introduced to the other students like myself. The other children and I exchanged nervous glances, and before I could get too uncomfortable, Etha scooped me up in his arms and asked, "Ready to go?" I nodded reluctantly and he said, "You've linked before, right?" I nodded again. He said, "Ok, little one, then it's time to go!" He put me back down on my feet in front of the bookstand that had been set up to be lower than the other bookstands in the library. I could tell that many a student my age had been here in the centuries before me. The linking panel glowed warmly. It seemed almost welcoming. Etha sighed and said, "No use just staring at it, go ahead, link!" With that, I pressed my hand to the page and the warmth that glowed from the panel enveloped me.

The next thing I knew, I was standing at the end of a great hallway. We were inside a very large structure with columns that went as high as I could see. The walls were made from stone, just like at home, but they were a bit different in texture than what I was used to.

From behind me Etha said, "What would you like to try first? The Alphabet? Numbers? What would you like to learn first?" I had never had someone let me choose how I wanted to learn like that before, but I mustered up the courage and said, "Alphabet! I want to read to Father." Etha chuckled and said, "You're not the first to want to read to their parents, but it's a noble journey to go on. But you're right you know, no better place to start than to learn the alphabet...let's head to the Alphabet room." He pointed down the long hallway, and as we walked I noticed that there were glyphs above the doors we passed. Behind each door lay a mystery that I was curious enough to want to investigate. After passing more than a few doors, he stopped at one with a beautiful amethyst handle. "This is it", he said, and with that, he opened the door and we stepped through.

It was like entering a bizarre dream. On stands around the room, there were odd looking cryptex-type stone cylinders with glyphs carved into the stone. There were short ones that only held 3 or 4 letters to make words with, others were longer and more complex. that spelled different things. I asked what they were, and he said, "Oh, your curiosity has got you, doesn't it?" I nodded profusely. He said, "Those are the Spellers, but you only get to those after you know what each glyph is. See, after you learn your letters, we'll come over here and spell words. When it comes time for your spelling test, if you get your words correct, then it unlocks and you get to go on to the next word at the next station. Each one gets a bit harder, but, what you see at the end...Well," he winked, "I won't give it all away just yet." "Come on," he beckoned, "we need to start over here."

Etha stopped in front of a large board of sliding stones, I could tell that I had a puzzle waiting for me to solve, I knew at that moment the Literacy Age was going to be something I had to really try my best to understand. "Come stand here," Etha said, "it's time to start learning." He slid one of the stones with a glyph on it in front of me, and said, let's start at the beginning, this is the glyph that makes the sound 'v', go ahead, try tracing over the glyph with your finger." As my finger touched inside the grooves that made the letter 'v', the inside of it started to glow where I had just touched it. As I finished tracing it, the stone sort of spoke, it made the sound of the letter. "Now repeat the sound", Etha coached, and I made the sound of the letter just like the stone and Etha had. "What word do we find 'v' in?", he queried. I blurted out "Devokan!" He chuckled and said, "Right! Good job." Again he had me trace the glyph and say the letter and the sound. "Now what's the letter called?" "V!" I hollered triumphantly. He slid the stone to the side and slid forward another for me to touch.

On and on the process went, going through each of the 35 letters in the alphabet. After we were finished, I was so excited to get home. I did nothing on our walk back to the linking book but talk to Etha about the shapes of the glyphs and how wonderfully exciting learning from the "Alpha Stones" was. I asked how the stone could make the sound, and he just chuckled, "That's a story for another day! Just wait until we do the numbers!" I giggled with joy. "But what about the Spellers?" I asked. Etha chuckled and said, "One thing at a time, learn your letters, then we go on to building words. Remember, building words is like a surveyor sending a tone through the rock, we have to find just the right path to make our words, and that path is made by you learning how to write the glyphs!" We'll do that with tablets after you learn your letters. Would you like to come back and learn with me again?" he asked. Without a second of hesitation I said, "Oh yes! Please! That was great, great fun!"

We linked back to D'ni and found my parents waiting for me. I ran into my father's arms, and as he picked me up, I squealed, "Father, the stones can talk!" He chuckled and said, "Why yes, and the stone all around us has many stories it can tell, but only the ones you touched can make the sounds. But you'll have to make them talk again tomorrow and give them the words you want them to say." I smiled and asked if I could go back to the Literacy Age again, and my mother smiled, tousled my hair and said, "Of course you're going back again, it's your school! It's where you will go to learn every day until you are sent to the Guild Halls to study!"

Etha walked gently up to my parents and told them how well I had done, what enthusiasm I had to learn more. My father shook his hand and thanked him, and told him that I'd be back the next day.

I could go on for hours and hours about my adventures in the Literacy Age, but like Etha always said, "That's a story for another day."
Sh'aeri

Re: A Teaching Age...

Postby Dot » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:32 am

Sh'aeri, this is lovely. It would be a great way for explorers to learn the D'ni alphabet, if it is possible to build -- and I can imagine it from your descriptions here.
Dot

Postby J'Kla » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Sh'aeri if you know about the ULM look at Enobmort (still in work).

I will PM you tomorrow but I must away to my bed as I rise at 5am local.
J'Kla

Postby Raider7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Sh'aeri,
Great post keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing.
Raider7

Postby Sh'aeri » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks y'all. Much appreciated. I'm not the most gifted writer in the world, so I'm glad y'all got the jist of what I'm driving at. I am no linguist, so I'm hoping that a kind linguist would be able to help in the age's creation. As I said before, I'm not really quite sure what is possible to create.

I know that we had the tablets in Myst V, and how those can work (albeit, the experience would be wholly different than the Bahro tablets) just for practicing how to write them.

The board of sliding stones...it's tilted slightly (like a drafting table) to hold the letters in place, but it is set up with the letters in 5 rows of seven letters, with a gutter the size of the stones below it and at the end of each row, so they can be slid out of their place and moved to the bottom where they can be touched/traced by the person using them. They should be grooved to fit together, enabling them to be slid into place to study individual letters or make whole words. They work like the wooden blocks we all had as kids, except they would be thin, and have the impression of tounge and groove scoring on the sides to lock into place when forming words. At the very bottom of the board, it should have a special place to lock in a single tile. It would be the place you bring each letter to learn it individually. Also, the Alpha Stones would observe the stroke sequence of the letter. They won't work unless you have the stroke sequence down properly, drawing the components of the letter in the correct order. There was a site I saw somewhere that had video clips of the letters being drawn, but can't remember right now for the life of me where I saw that...but it was very clear that each glyph had an order to which each stroke within it was drawn.

The cryptex spelling test.

Imagine for a moment, 5 different cryptex stands situated in a circle, with a sixth on a raised platform in the center.

We exist in a world of puzzles, and no better way to test the skills you learn than working with the cryptex. For a reference, well, the best one I know of is in the film "The DaVinci Code". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLG8URZh3LE

However, the cryptex that we would find in the age would have the D'ni glyphs on them, then, with the journal that is found on the bookstand in front of it, you find the english word to translate and spell in D'ni. If you spell the D'ni word correctly, it opens, and reveals a clue to the next one, with a longer word to spell. After solving all 5 cryptex, you get the clue for solving the one in the center, that cryptex opens to give you a linking book to a bonus age (the details of that age I've not even thought of yet) as a reward for finishing them all.

In an ideal world, the spelling test would always be different, the journal clues would be given a random word generator so each time that you went back to the Alphabet room, you'd find a new set of words to spell, equivalent with what you have learned and spelled in the past, allowing you to link to the age at the end. It's a retention trick, it is and sort of sadistic of me, but the age should really be built for people who want to learn and are going to do their best to retain what they have learned. No better teacher is a lesson that makes you use what you have learned previously and keep building on it.

Y'all are going to think I'm crazy, but hey, we're working with a world of limitless possibilities...

For each progressively harder sets of cryptex you solve, the bonus age at the end would be different. For example, The beginners would go to an age that had firemarbles to play with, leading up to the harder solutions leading you to more complex places. The whole point being that the more knowledge you have, the bigger and brighter the world around you becomes.

J'kla...I have no idea of what Enobmort is or ULM...I tried Googling it but, it just lead me back here.
Sh'aeri

Postby Dot » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Sh'aeri wrote:J'kla...I have no idea of what Enobmort is or ULM...I tried Googling it but, it just lead me back here.

Enorbmort is one of J'Kla's Ages. You can visit it using Uru: Complete Chronicles with the Uru Library Manager (ULM) installed.

Step-by-step instructions on how to install the ULM are here: Installing and using the ULM.

Hope this helps! :)
Dot

Postby J'Kla » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:30 am

Ok Sh'aeri. I see dot has passed on info on how to find Enobmort and the ULM you can use a copy of Uru provided you have the patches for ToD'ni and TpotS installed. CC is an easier install however.

Your cryptex idea is sound a device like it has been used in lots of adventure games over the years so its generally thought of as a standard.

I would say that if you were teaching D'ni children why would it be offering English, French, German whatever words to spell However the picture of an animal or the image of an age. almost anything that appears in Uru that's mentioned in the glossary. Also there is the international component an image is the same for all players.

Given the tools we could add more images and words but if we leave it open to allow players to upload pictures it does raise the spectre of inappropriate images.

The thing about a digital world is you can build anything you can imagine. The hard bit is the Python or whatever is used to control the logic but we have people who will rise to the challenge.

Enobmort is a number based learning environment but that's not meant to stop you having another one my next part was going to explore the D'ni letter stroke inter-linkage with the number system. What we can say is there would not have been only one method of teaching.
J'Kla

Postby Sh'aeri » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:16 am

Oh, sorry J'kla...didn't know about Enobmort. I don't do the ULM thing because I don't own a copy of Complete Chronicles. Sorry for stepping on your toes.

Even though there can be multiple ways of teaching, you get too many ages that are similar and it's like beating the same dead horse over and over again. Seems as you already have a handle on it, so I'll leave you to it. Hey, it was just an idea, can't fault me for that.

I just offered the journals as a vehicle. You know, you can only tell stories from your personal point of view. I didn't jump out of the box far enough to think of the multi-linguistic needs of the community. My fault, my bad. But the symbols would be a good idea...but I offer this to you, some people see an image and it gives them a different word in their vocabulary, not the one intended to be spelled in some cases. So, symbology can't always be relied on as a communication vehicle even when it is as rudimentary as you've stated. It would NOT be appropriate for other people to port in their own images, it would break the suspension of disbelief. So a chart that had symbology on the walls that equated to a particular spelling of a word might be an improvement on the concept.

Another thing...the codex is just a sample of a puzzle vehicle. Sorry if it seems passe, but it's relevant to people who have never had the opportunity to play with one first-hand. I was using it to stay within the "Canon" as a kick back to Myst because you had to pull the levers to get the 221 combination. Same difference, this time it's with a hands-on codex instead of pulling an archaic lever. It gives an element of emersion and control. My whole idea behind the codex was to see a D'ni version of it...one that I'm sure that a talented modeller could take far beyond the realm of what I could begin to imagine.
Sh'aeri

Postby J'Kla » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:00 am

No Sh'aeri get on with it I'm not setting out territory I just saying we are traveling in the same direction and the might be things in Enobmort you can use. Stepping on toes is an essential part of learning to dance.

Your Idea is good your little story excellent and I am putting Journals into Enobmort and I would like to include your one.

Don't stop we need multiple ages. The codex is not passe if it is a classic just because one person invents the combination lock does not mean you only build one.

There's a device called the Curta that has all the hallmarks of a D'ni device but it's own story is incredible as it was designed by a Curt Herzstark who was a prisoner at Buchenwald but the camp leaders were aware of his work and encouraged it.

They apparently wanted to give the invention to the Fuehrer as a victory gift at the end of the war! Herzstark was given a drawing board and worked on the design day and night. The camp was liberated in April, 1945 by the Americans. Herzstark survived as did his revolutionary concept for a miniature calculator.
J'Kla

Postby Trylon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:33 am

Sha'eri, I like your idea very much, I think it can provide a very good IC way of learning D'ni.

While I'd love to work on that age, since it provides quite a bit of technical and modelign challenges, I can't commit to anything at the moment - too many different RL issues.
If you need some freelance help however, feel free to ask. I'm a fairly decent modeler (self proclaimed, there are people way better out there :P), and pretty good at the programming aspect.

In any case is your age worthy of a project...
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Return to Art and Story