Writing as done In-Character (as an explorer)?

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Writing as done In-Character (as an explorer)?

Postby rivenwanderer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:34 pm

Is there a guideline somewhere about what Writing from a purely In-Character perspective would be like? IE, as though an explorer in Uru was writing an Age. (I honestly was not actively around MOUL that much, so forgive me if this should be obvious.) Things I am interested in include:

-how much an explorer would understand what they were doing vs. how much they would be experimenting, tweaking, and crossing their fingers
-when writing an Age, how much the explorer would know about its history on a geologic scale--would they know whether an island was raised up from the ocean floor by geologic activity versus being a former mountaintop that rising ocean levels had turned into an island? Or would they link to the Age not knowing exactly why it looked the way it looked, and piece together a history based on their observations?
-what sort of access to stoneworking tools would an explorer have access to? Could a single person (or a single person and a friend or two) hollow out a room-sized cave, carve walkways into the sides of cliffs, etc? I'm assuming the D'ni had machines and/or chemical processes for doing something like this, but what about explorers?

I've been extremely leery of working on projects entirely from an IC perspective, but I thought it would be interesting to try it out--to see what can be done within the most stringent possible constraints. Which dovetails nicely with my wish to work on something purposefully small rather than the epic projects I keep dreaming up :)

If any of this is definitely unknown and may be expanded on later by Cyan, I can deliberately leave it vague in my project idea also.

Thanks!
rivenwanderer

Re: Writing as done In-Character (as an explorer)?

Postby Gehn, lord of ages » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:37 pm

In order,

- Unknown. The DRC never mentioned anything about it, so it is probably not fully understood.
- Didn't even Aitrus get stumped by the geologic history? Geologically inclined explorers might be able to piece together a good amount, combined with what they do know from the writing.
- It depends on the rock. Some rock is rather soft, and a few people might be able to cut large features into it. Other types of rock would be virtually impossible to carve. I'd say only soft rock will work as human carved, since most D'ni machinery would not be in working condition.

so basically, I have no idea whatsoever
Gehn, lord of ages

Postby rivenwanderer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:50 pm

Gehn, lord of ages wrote:- It depends on the rock. Some rock is rather soft, and a few people might be able to cut large features into it. Other types of rock would be virtually impossible to carve. I'd say only soft rock will work as human carved, since most D'ni machinery would not be in working condition.

But what about carefully placed explosives/rock-dissolving acids? I feel like the books may have had some description of one or both of these, but maybe I'm wrong... and potentially, could explorers have brought things like that from the surface?
rivenwanderer

Postby Gehn, lord of ages » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:54 pm

rivenwanderer wrote:
Gehn, lord of ages wrote:- It depends on the rock. Some rock is rather soft, and a few people might be able to cut large features into it. Other types of rock would be virtually impossible to carve. I'd say only soft rock will work as human carved, since most D'ni machinery would not be in working condition.

But what about carefully placed explosives/rock-dissolving acids? I feel like the books may have had some description of one or both of these, but maybe I'm wrong... and potentially, could explorers have brought things like that from the surface?

Depends on what connections they have. If some explorer has connections to explosives, then it could work. I don't think that side of D'ni tech is known about that much yet.
Gehn, lord of ages

Postby rivenwanderer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:58 pm

*nod*

Really, all I want is to know if it's plausible enough. I'd like to have some rock modifications present, without implying that a centralized, complicated, many-explorer effort took place--I don't need an explanation of how it happened, so long as it's not outright ridiculous for it to have happened at all, if that makes sense.
rivenwanderer

Postby Tweek » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:25 pm

rivenwanderer wrote:Is there a guideline somewhere about what Writing from a purely In-Character perspective would be like? IE, as though an explorer in Uru was writing an Age. (I honestly was not actively around MOUL that much, so forgive me if this should be obvious.) Things I am interested in include:

-how much an explorer would understand what they were doing vs. how much they would be experimenting, tweaking, and crossing their fingers

Depends on the explorer and their story, if they had been in the Cavern but a year then it is likely they would not have a full understanding of what they were doing, thus a lot of experimenting etc would take place.

However if your explorer had been in the Caverns for years they would have more experience.

-when writing an Age, how much the explorer would know about its history on a geologic scale--would they know whether an island was raised up from the ocean floor by geologic activity versus being a former mountaintop that rising ocean levels had turned into an island? Or would they link to the Age not knowing exactly why it looked the way it looked, and piece together a history based on their observations?

Again this depends on the explorer and their knowledge/experience. If they're like me, I explore my Ages and study them in detail (write a book of commentary) so I would investigate what caused certain land features etc. So it coul

-what sort of access to stoneworking tools would an explorer have access to? Could a single person (or a single person and a friend or two) hollow out a room-sized cave, carve walkways into the sides of cliffs, etc? I'm assuming the D'ni had machines and/or chemical processes for doing something like this, but what about explorers?

Typical man made rock carving tools, the D'ni had rock cutters and extractors as well, whilst some are damaged there are working one (as used by the DRC), it is not a stretch to say you've located one and it works. From an IC standpoint I use rock cutters and extractors

I've been extremely leery of working on projects entirely from an IC perspective, but I thought it would be interesting to try it out--to see what can be done within the most stringent possible constraints. Which dovetails nicely with my wish to work on something purposefully small rather than the epic projects I keep dreaming up :)

If any of this is definitely unknown and may be expanded on later by Cyan, I can deliberately leave it vague in my project idea also.

Thanks!

It's possible to be pretty indepth and still be vague, I'd suggest taking a look at UruBlogs, there are several bloggers on there who blog from an IC perspective and build Ages too (myself included).
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby rivenwanderer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Oh, IC Uru blogs! I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
rivenwanderer

Postby Horatio252 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:10 pm

rivenwanderer wrote:-how much an explorer would understand what they were doing vs. how much they would be experimenting, tweaking, and crossing their fingers

I would find experimenting and tweaking the most common and most believable situation. That is not to say that a character cannot be good at Writing, but some explanation or allusion to past experience is important IMO.

rivenwanderer wrote:-when writing an Age, how much the explorer would know about its history on a geologic scale--would they know whether an island was raised up from the ocean floor by geologic activity versus being a former mountaintop that rising ocean levels had turned into an island? Or would they link to the Age not knowing exactly why it looked the way it looked, and piece together a history based on their observations?

In my opinion the answer to this hangs on how detailed the Age is Written. Some Writers may chose to specify what is in the soil, how the underlying rock is structured and whether the the island is cooled magma or granite. Other Writers may simply say that there was an island and let the Link work out the details. Obviously the first Writers knows more geologically when she links in than the second writer, but both still must rely on their powers of observation. (as an aside I don't believe that Writers can Write the history of the Age. They can say that the island is cooled magma, but they cannot Write that it was raised up from the ocean floor.)

rivenwanderer wrote:-what sort of access to stoneworking tools would an explorer have access to? Could a single person (or a single person and a friend or two) hollow out a room-sized cave, carve walkways into the sides of cliffs, etc? I'm assuming the D'ni had machines and/or chemical processes for doing something like this, but what about explorers?

You got some suggestions about using D'ni machinery, and that is risky from a canonical stand point. You don't want to reveal any new information about the D'ni or their stone working abilities. You also don't want to say anything that Cyan could or would want to contradict at a later date. I am not saying it can't be done, just be careful.

rivenwanderer wrote:Is there a guideline somewhere about what Writing from a purely In-Character perspective would be like? IE, as though an explorer in Uru was writing an Age.

this is a good idea to have somewhere, but I don't know of it existing. I am not really the expert here and feel underqualified to take on that task.

Best of luck on your writing,
Horatio
Horatio252

Postby 5TheStranger5 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:28 pm

rivenwanderer - you are welcome to take a look at my own IC Myst blog at http://mihrotahn-depthsofdni.com if you'd like. I have always coursed my writings IC style; just as Tweek has said most of the questions you have asked would pertain to how long an explorer had been studying the Cavern of D'ni and the Art(i.e., how much they had discovered or how much knowledge they possessed). I know it can most certainly be possible that an individual explorer could have found certain things or know certain things others may not.

Perhaps you could find some base ideas in the structure and layout of my work(I've been studying D'ni and the Art for many long years) that may help you when writing IC. I've had to do a lot of experimenting and pre-planning, but IC writing can definitely work for you and your Age. Ask your other fellows for help if you need it and I'm sure they will answer. And of course if you need my assistance in any way PM me and I'd be delighted to oblige. Shorah to you friend 8-) !

Stranger
Guild Of Writers/D'ni
Isyeerehmah Re'bahrehltahn ~ Shetehnehmah Re'bahrehltav
Rever The Maker ~ Cherish The Made
5TheStranger5

Postby Agenotfound » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Is there a contest to revive the oldest thread as possible or what ?

or maybe 5TheStranger5 just used one of these Yeesha books and actually travelled through time and thinks he is still in the past, hmm... :lol:
Agenotfound

Return to Art and Story