D'ni Mansion and Island

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

D'ni Mansion and Island

Postby sarpedon2 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:42 am

Well this is my first topic so here it goes. My idea's are usually really ambitious and the idea I'm putting forth probably could only be done by a amazingly skilled individual or a large group of age builders who have had experience. Unfortunately my fledgling skills at modeling and scripting on blender have relegated me to the enjoyable position of artist :) .

My idea would be a new island in the D'ni cavern. The island would be home to the ruins of a mansion by a Master J'narai. The entire mansion would have an assortment of physical and mental puzzles and over time, it could be home to fan-made ages. The island would have only been recently examined by the DRC before they pulled out of the cavern so the entire island would've been left untouched since the fall. To add a great depth of realism and history, meals fossilized by the lack of organism in the air (the gas Veovis and A'gaeris unleashed could've killed them), D'ni journals and equipment left behind by the DRC and in the homage to Pompeii, the remains of those who were on the island during the Fall, frozen in the position they died in (like the people of Pompeii. It would be a very haunting place to visit, a part of D'ni left untouched by the DRC and Atrus' excavations of the Cavern in BOD.

Show Spoiler

I'll post more images when I do them but for now, this is the only image I've done. If you like the idea, I'll post more ideas on how this can be done.
sarpedon2

Re: D'ni Mansion and Island

Postby TomahnaGuy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:32 am

From what I can see, I like it! It'd be nice if you could replace the names with numbers to make the image a bit clearer. Then perhaps a relating Key down the side. I like the concept though and would want to explore there. :)
TomahnaGuy

Postby Raider7 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Great idea, sounds good. The red writing is hard to read.
Raider7

Postby BAD » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Very nice! I look forward to seeing more of your sketches. :D
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Jojon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:13 pm

Now if only I could stop reading the topic as D'Secret of Mansion island... :P
Jojon

Postby Winna » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:05 am

I think it'd be a really neat idea. If you get anymore concept art up I can block it out in 3D for you.
Winna

Postby robbieagray » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:58 pm

looks like a good project. I look forward to seeing a few more screenshots on this topic.
The Bahro shall rise once more. All hail the Bahro!
robbieagray

Postby sarpedon2 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Wow its been a long time, but i have a slight interest in Uru again. Not much but i felt like drawing again. I re-did the map that i posted, made it more detailed and less scruffy. Unfortunately apart from that i don't have other new stuff. I've moved on to different ideas now, I've now been writing a story set in the half life 2 universe (16 pages and still going :D). I've decided however to post some drawings i did a long time ago. I really wanted to make Uru more immersive and graphically superior to what it was (now i feel that Valve's Source Engine is the best thing to use for a rebuild of Uru) but I'm only 1 person with very little knowledge on graphic designs.

Well here are my little concepts

DRC dig round Volcano

Abandoned ancient Pueblo

DRC dig from different view

Clothing and equipment design.

Character Animation idea

If you cant read the writing on the last, here it is:
"The torch on the hardhat will illuminate dark area so to help you on your journey. It can sometimes run out of batteries."

"The torch can be used to examine objects that cannot be seen with the main torch (hardhat)" I omitted the last bit because now I realise the method would be more simpler, simply move the cursor to look around is much more easier.

And there it is, I really hope you all have a look what I have done a long time ago.
Last edited by sarpedon2 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
sarpedon2

Postby J'Kla » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:22 pm

Hey source of light that needs batteries have not seen that before :D

Joking aside there's some good stuff here definitely room for a joint project. The new island looks awesome.

DRC Dig/Volcano may have hassle from the "That belongs to Cyan Brigade" avoid DRC stuff and you should be OK have the Journals belong to some explorers who managed to find a DRC boat the DRC forgot and then we would be in the clear you may need permission to use a DRC tent. Cyan seem fair on most things like that to keep look and feel of the cavern and that's only if you want one.
J'Kla

Postby sarpedon2 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:56 pm

I actually have two new images right now! The first is a updated, cleaner version of the map of the islands without labels. Second is the first bird-eye view of the islands, specifically the second island.
If I wanted to achieve how this island would look like, high-res textures would have to be used. Since I have become a fan of the source engine, I would rather see this on the source engine. Though the chances of Uru being on source are improbably minute, I still think it would give Uru a chance to stand toe-to-toe with everyone else.

sarpedon2

Next

Return to Art and Story