Idea: Backstory Contest

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Idea: Backstory Contest

Postby Trylon » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks for all the support.

Now to figure out on what the stories should be judged... any ideas?

Btw, bob, great of you to volunteer your age up.... how about a preferred age list, so people can still choose what age to write about themselves, but have a list of people who really want their age to be part of it?
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby I.Brattin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:12 pm

If someone wants to write something up on Aquh, the Memorial Age I am doing. I am more then happy to see what someone might come up with. All I have for it is that it is an Eder.

I'd offer up Yaeviev also but Zander already offered to do something for it.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby robbieagray » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:17 pm

So do we just pick an age we would like to write a storyline for. And if so would it be okay for me to do the age Fen. It is one of my favorite downloadable ages. :)
The Bahro shall rise once more. All hail the Bahro!
robbieagray

Postby BAD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Here is a list of things, I would consider important to me if I was to judge a contest such as this:

1) Mood. Does the story fit the ages general feel. This is a very subjective idea, but also it is very important when creating a story of a place that already exists. You need to find the essence of the place, and find the reasons why it is as it is within the story. Sometimes a writer can get wrapped up in a story they want to tell and thus lose sight of the general feeling of the age itself.

2) Characters. Are they well crafted? Do they accent the age, or distract from it? Any character needs to be fleshed out properly. It doesn't matter if they are fully described or even if you know much about them at all, but they need to have a personality and something that readers can connect with either in a good or bad way.

3) Flow. A story is more than just a list of events. It also shouldn't feel awkward or disjointed. Also it's best to not get long winded. If a story requires a lot of text to tell it, then that is OK, but try to avoid to many tangents or very long tangents that detract from the story as a whole.

4) intrigue or interest. Does the story grab me? Do I care about the characters? I need to have a reason to get to the end of a story. I am not saying that it should be a surprise, cause some of the most interesting stories I have read were based on true events which I knew the outcome. What you need is to make the story intriguing enough that I must finish the whole thing to understand it all.

5) (this is specifically for this contest) Accuracy to canon. Though there is a lot of license in age writing to create whatever you wish, your going to be working on something that exists already. Not to mention that you would be writing within the world of the D'ni and it would be best not to tread to harshly on their world. So it would be important to not make Ri'neref fly into the age and smite it with his eye lasers. ;)

6) Believability or immersive aspect. Similar to the above, it is important to not write anything that breaks a persons immersion in the story. Like lets say you write a story about the nights of the round table. It would break many people's immersion if you suddenly decided that Galahad invented the silicon chip and created a robotic dragon to fight off his enemies. Unless of course you properly set up the story to cover that. Basically avoid plot holes. They cheapen the experience of any book, movie, or age.

That's about it. Just a reminder that this is what I would be looking at, not necessarily what should all be added as a guide for judges. ;)

BTW, it would be interesting to use the one age idea that Bob put forth. Perhaps have that for this first contest and then step it up a notch next time by having writers and modelers team up per age?
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Theremin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Wonderful idea, I'm glad to see this. The creation of a successful age always needs a good backstory. I would be interested in judging some entries.
Theremin

Postby J'Kla » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:33 am

We need to know if this is a back story outline or the full Monty. There really needs to be some word count limit so we don't get into a collection of War and Peace epics. :twisted:
J'Kla

Postby I.Brattin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:36 am

Yeah a word count limit I think would be good. I definitely don't want to read a 500 page back story. Can you imagine the headaches if that was set all in one journal.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Postby Xindhus » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:48 am

Sounds great! :) Just one question about format. Should this be:

a) 2nd person - describing the player's optimum recommended path through an age and the experiences and revelations experienced e.g. ... You turn the corner and rising in front of you is a massive obelisk. You notice a small door in the side...

b) 1st person - describing the (OOC) writer's experiences as he/she travels through an age. e.g. ...I ran around the corner but stopped short when I caught sight of the massive obelisk in front of me...

c) 3rd person - describing the past of an age and the circumstances surrounding its writing and/or events which took place there. e.g. ..."This obelisk will mark the center of my new age" thought Atrus as he scribbled madly on the candlelit paper before him...

d) Journal entries for one of the above e.g. ...21 April 1990 : I have just discovered a new age, the distinguishing feature being a massive obelisk in the center. Will investigate tomorrow...

...or something entirely different? I've never written a backstory before, and so I don't know what to expect. Still, I'd love to try my hand, and I think a lot of other people would like a chance like this to write for commentary in a 'safe' environment.
Xindhus

Postby Theremin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:03 am

Trylon, are you the semi-official leader of this contest? (OK by me!) If so, I would suggest the following:

Pick a panel of judges, based on whatever criteria you feel is best. Include yourself as a judge. Once that is done, the judges can hash out the details of the contest, final approval made by yourself.

A word count limit is an excellent idea, I'd suggest a maximum of 7500.

I'd also suggest it be a "true" backstory for an age. Why is the age there, what is the purpose for it, why is it designed the way it is, rather than an exploration of an existing age.

Do we want to offer critiques? If so, we need to make this very obvious up front. Most (new) writers don't want to hear where their story lacks, good writers appreciate feedback they can digest and use to improve their writing.
Theremin

Postby Xindhus » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 am

Most (new) writers don't want to hear where their story lacks,

I can see where you're coming from with this, Theremin, but I think the concern is unfounded. The primary reason I'm getting involved in this competition is to see how I can improve, and I'm sure we'd get a lot more entrants if we were to advertise it this way. (Not that that's what we want, of course, but I'm sure I won't be the only one with this idea.) New writers may not want to hear that their writing needs work, but they do need to hear it. Proper critique will improve the quality of our community's writing, and so indirectly the quality of our ages. If it drives them away, so be it.

But yes, I do agree with you that we need to say this upfront. And thanks for the comment on my question.

Over to you, Trylon! When do we get the green light?
Xindhus

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story