Banner Challenge

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Banner Challenge

Postby GPNMilano » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:22 am

For the hood of Dorehn that I am working on, one of the interior spaces is going to be a D'ni age museum. This museum will house linking books to both Cyan and fan created ages. For every Cyan age linking book:Teledahn, Gira, Kadish, Garrison, Minkata, Jalak, E'rcana, Ahnonay and the pods, there will be banners over and on the pedestal, similar to what Cyan did in the library but never turned on in any incarnation of Uru. What I have envisioned is a total of three banners. One for Prologue, one for Until Uru, and one for MOUL. For each Cyan age that appeared in a specific incarnation of Uru, there would be the same number of small banners on the pedestal:

So as an example:

Teledahn, would get three banners on its pedestal, one for Prologue, one for UU, and one for MOUL.

While Ahnonay would get two: One for UU, and one for MOUL

Minkata just one for MOUL.

My challenge is for artists out there to design the symbols that would appear on each of these banners. So a symbol for Prologue, one for UU, and one for MOUL. The symbols should, for an IC presentation, be somewhat D'ni in origin, and contain an alpha layer so that they can easily blend in with the banner texture. Other than that the sky is the limit. there's no deadline, just post the images in a reply here, and those that people like the most I will include as the symbols on the banners.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Re: Banner Challenge

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:42 am

Uh, Ahnonay (and Er'cana) were never released for UU. :?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Atheni33 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:35 am

My challenge is for artists out there to design the symbols that would appear on each of these banners. So a symbol for Prologue, one for UU, and one for MOUL.

This sounds interesting! I know there are no set limitations but it would be helpful to have dimensions of the banners (Height x Width).
Atheni33

Postby GPNMilano » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:13 am

D'Lanor wrote:Uh, Ahnonay (and Er'cana) were never released for UU. :?
True, but they were hacked into a few shards along with FCC IIRC.

Atheni33 wrote:This sounds interesting! I know there are no set limitations but it would be helpful to have dimensions of the banners (Height x Width).

I'm thinking of the symbol texture being something like 512x512. The banners themselves already have textures. The challenge is to make the symbol for each of the three banners (the background of the banners is the same for each banner, just the symbol is needed, hence the images needing an alpha channel so they can easily be blended with the background of the banner in blender)

I'll probably post an image of the age museum model sometime within the next day, so that people can have an idea of the look of the room in general, for inspiration purposes.

The room though is quite large, with a balcony that overlooks the museum, while inside the museum is a large stone tree that holds up the roof, and stretches deep into the depths of the cavern below the room. The tree itself can also be entered, but I'm not sure whats going into it just yet. Surrounding the tree, is a railing, and lining the walls of the museum are the pedestals, and banners. The back area of the museum are where the cyan ages will go, and along the sides of the museum the pedestals for fan created ages will be arranged.
GPNMilano

Postby Atheni33 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:42 pm

I was sketching out a few ideas for your banner. It's just a draft so it's not the true size, and I put the symbol/character on a background texture just to see how it would look. It's not that creative and somewhat obvious but I do have more ideas which I'll post later. Meanwhile I hope others will join in on your banner challenge. It's a project where anyone can participate...and it's fun!

Show Spoiler
Atheni33

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Atheni,

Very impressive! I especially like the Until Uru one, very symbolic. I like the idea of using the D'ni letters for the symbols.
GPNMilano

Postby Oneironaut » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:50 pm

I've made some Frames for the Symbols. :)
Maybe, you can use them for the Symbols, Atheni?
The Source Files (Photoshop *.psd) are uploaded to RS, there you can download them with Fullspeed without account (I got some spare Trafficshare)
But they are only for a few days up, after that you can PM me for the Files.
I'm interested about what the Banners look like in the end ;)

@GPNMilano: Please, put a treetrunk in the middle of the Bookmuseum with a young little Plant growing out of it.
As a symbol ^^

http://rapidshare.com/files/202667558/Dorehn_Bannerframes.rar

---
Attachments
FramesPSD.jpg
FramesPSD.jpg (10.9 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Frames00.jpg
Frames00.jpg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Oneironaut

Postby Atheni33 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:36 am

Very impressive! I especially like the Until Uru one, very symbolic. I like the idea of using the D'ni letters for the symbols.

Thanks! I wasn't for sure how the D'ni letters would go over. And they are so beautiful and expressive so I had to try it. I also decided to crop and rearrange them in different ways to make them look more like symbols and less like letters.

Maybe, you can use them for the Symbols, Atheni?

Sure! I'll download the file and see what I can come up with. Very nice banners by the way.. I particularly like the top right and bottom left which I think has more of a D'ni feel.
Atheni33

Postby Atheni33 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:04 am

GPN Milano - I added Oneironaut wonderful background into the logo, I think it made a big difference. It's a little dark because of my dark blue background and I wasn't sure about color yet not seeing your texture, so I kept it simple not wanting anything to clash. I also wanted the logo to have a distressed feel (to fit in with D'ni ancient society) so the faded areas and discoloration is deliberate. :)

Amended: I added a little color and lighten the banner.
Show Spoiler
Atheni33

Return to Art and Story