An Age Idea/Story

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

An Age Idea/Story

Postby Terakay » Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 pm

A while back I came up with an idea for a short story, but never actually wrote it; it wouldn't work too great as just a short story. I put it aside, but then a friend reminded me of it when I was contemplating an Age to write. I really don't want to spoil one of the major surprises in the Age, but it was what really made it cool, so I'll put it in a spoiler tab. You don't have to view it to understand the basic idea of the Age, though. So here it goes:

-

A D'ni Writer wrote an Age of lush forests, beautiful meadows, and peaceful rivers. But when he linked there, he found that something had gone terribly wrong: the Age was unstable! The core of the planet was steadily expanding, and it was coming near the time when it would explode the entire Age. At first he considered rewriting it, but that would not change the Age; it would just link to completely new one. There were people on the Age, and he felt pity; he couldn't abandon them.

And so the Writer set out to "fix" the Age without rewriting it. He recruited several other D'ni to help him, and together they built a central power area for the Age, separate from the forest, but near the village. He set up barriers around it so the people of the Age wouldn't try to take control of the power core and accidentally destroy something important. The technology worked perfectly, controlling the unstable core and keeping the Age peaceful. But then D'ni died...

After years of wear on the technology, with no one coming to maintain it, and the villagers wondering what happened to the mysterious people that came to keep their land safe, it finally shut down. Now mysterious things are happening: strange volcanic rumblings knock houses from their supports, odd valleys are popping up in random places, and the oceans are beginning to heat up.

When you arrive, the Age appears to be in and endless night. You are in the center of the power core, and must explore, activating various parts of the massive mechanism. You cannot see over the giant wall surrounding it or access the forest and village beyond. As you explore, you read various journals of the Writer of the Age, and learn more of its history. When finally you can leave the mechanism, you enter the forest and village. You also stumble across an astonishing secret:

Show Spoiler

You meet one of the villagers, and they tell you of the recent strange occurrences, and of the disappearance of their "saviors from afar." The power core is running, but you must access the master control room to make it fully functional again. Once this is done, you receive much thanks from the villagers for saving their world from destruction, and can depart.

-

So, how do you like it? Like I said, you don't need to read the spoiler to understand the story, but it will certainly help you better understand the Age. Please feel free to comment on how you like it. Thanks!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Terakay

Re: An Age Idea/Story

Postby robbieagray » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:51 am

that is a pretty interesting idea. :)
The Bahro shall rise once more. All hail the Bahro!
robbieagray

Postby Jojon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:27 pm

Hmm, why is the core expanding - is this part of the undisclosed information?

I kind of envision a nonscience scenario, where the core and mantle spins rather rapidly, while the crust for some reason lags behind, resulting in considerable friction.

Then I suppose the stabilising mechanism might consist either of a huge number of magnetic spike thingmajiggies that anchors the crust to the core, or some magicooliewoolie that shields it from whatever causes its drag.
Jojon

Postby Jadawin12 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:07 am

I think this idea sounds very very cool. I am very curious about the people of the Age and thier culture. Also the desire to save a people seems like a reasonable reason that the D'ni would keep a flawed Age active.
Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom
KI: 01632887
Jadawin12

Postby Terakay » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:07 pm

I've come back to this idea recently, but I must say that I am by no means a programmer. When it comes to Python and Blender, I am as naive as I am overwhelmed. As I mentioned earlier, this was originally a short story: I am a writer. If anyone would like to help me along with the other bits, as in coding and modelling, I would be more than happy to take care of the story end. This is intended to be a wordy Age as well. I would like there to be several journals on the D'ni writer's travels, as well as histories delving deeper into the complexity of the society on this Age. I've planned out several things, as in rough maps and puzzle ideas, but if there's no one to do the more technical side I'll just have to abandon this idea. If you are interested in lending me a hand, please respond.
Terakay

Postby Oliver Knowles » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 am

Hi,

I think this story is really compelling. One thing that doesn't strike me as realistic is the idea of a man-made device having an effect on the core of a planet. In terms of physics, it doesn't make much sense. Perhaps the device could regulate a newly-formed active volcano. That seems more feasible by a few orders of magnitude at least.

Also, being a cold-hearted D'ni, why was he so sympathetic to age-dwellers, who traditionally were regarded as sub-human? Perhaps he fell in love, or had some other personal investment in the people.

Other than that, this story is really exciting to me. Sorry I can't help with anything technical, either. My advice is to organize all your phase 1 material as completely as possible, and hopefully when OpenUru picks up there'll be more guildsmen around willing to help. Having all your materials as accessible as possible means you'll be at the top of the do-ocratic food chain.

:)
Oliver Knowles

Postby Terakay » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks so much for the advice; I'll definitely take it into consideration. I already have quite a few plans done, but it's all up for revision. Like I said, I'm a writer, not a programmer, modeler, cartographer, puzzle designer... You get the point. If other people decide to help and this idea actually becomes tangible, I'll post my current "maps" (if you can call simplistic scratch-marks maps) and puzzle ideas.
Terakay

Postby Terakay » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:06 pm

For my storyline, I need to know a bit of information: What is the D'ni age equivalent in human years. For example, would a fifty-year old D'ni be about as "old" as a twenty-five-year old human? Thanks to anyone who can answer this question.
Terakay

Postby Oliver Knowles » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:06 am

Oliver Knowles

Postby Terakay » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:37 pm

I've done quite a bit of work developing the story of my Age. It's also changed quite a bit. Be aware that this is a simplified version of the story, and only an outline; there will be much more side plot and character development in the actual Age. It's a Word document, and a fairly small download. I didn't copy the text right here because the format changes a bit. But if the download is too inconvenient, please post a reply and I'll oblige.
Attachments
Reunin.docx
(15.42 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Terakay

Next

Return to Art and Story