An Age Idea/Story

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: An Age Idea/Story

Postby Terakay » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Since it's been a couple days and no one's commented, that probably means downloading the file is too much of a hassle and commenting on this fact is as well. It's fine, I probably wouldn't either. Well, I'm posting the whole outline here on the forum. (That makes it sound long; it's not.) Anyway, here it is:

-

Reun’in

I. J’tuvi writes Reun’in
1. J’tuvi (age fifty-three) becomes a Guild Captain, and a great celebration is held
2. Inspired by the Great Tree of Possibilities, J’tuvi begins work on Reun’in, a beautiful Age of massive trees
3. After one year of work, J’tuvi finishes Reun’in and is honored again at a celebration
II. J’tuvi travels to Reun’in
1. J’tuvi links to Reun’in and finds himself standing in the forest; after exploring he finds the largest tree in the Age (approximately 650 feet tall and 400 feet in diameter; upper branches span out wider)
2. Upon finding an opening in the tree’s trunk, J’tuvi enters and finds himself inside a gargantuan cathedral-like space; openings lead down into the roots and a staircase winds around the walls to a building hanging from the ceiling
3. Guards take J’tuvi up to the hanging building, which is in fact the King’s palace with a plaza built atop its surface; people mill about here
4. J’tuvi is taken to the Council of King Leyren; no other intelligent beings have been found in their world
5. After telling the King that he wrote this world, the King—thinking J’tuvi is mentally disturbed—lets him stay in the care of a craftsman, Ket
6. During J’tuvi’s stay, he meets Ket’s twenty-year-old daughter, Nethi, and being very young in D’ni years, he falls in love with the girl; later he reveals his love for her and they kiss
7. After several weeks in Reun’in, J’tuvi realizes the time he has spent away and figures he must return to D’ni; up until that point Nethi didn’t believe in D’ni, but when she sees him link away she is shocked into conviction
III. J’tuvi learns of Reun’in’s instability
1. As J’tuvi is about to link away, a great quake rattles the ground; Ket tells him that this is but one of the many disasters that have been striking of late; J’tuvi fears the stability of the Age and thus writes a linking book Reun’in’s core (this is the likeliest source of the problem
2. J’tuvi returns to D’ni and tells the Guild of Maintainers about this problem; they lend him a maintainer’s suit, and he discovers that the core of Reun’in is steadily expanding, soon to engulf the entire planet in flame
3. The Guild of Writers tells J’tuvi to burn the book, but having fallen in love with Nethi, he refuses (yet not telling them his reason)
IV. J’tuvi begins work on the stabilizer
1. J’tuvi returns to Reun’in and, warning Nethi of the impending doom, tries to convince her to come to D’ni with him so that she won’t die; Nethi declines the invitation, saying that she will not leave her people to die, and that if they must die, she will die with them
2. Nethi asks J’tuvi if there is some way to stabilize the Age, and prevent the core from expanding any further; he realizes this could be possible, but would take much work; Nethi offers to help him and they begin their work
3. The stabilizer is to be a massive sphere set up high into the branches of a nearby tree, as J’tuvi soon discovers that the wood in Reun’in is electricity-conductive; a chute is built extending down the roots and into the planet’s core, where they make a master control room
4. Throughout J’tuvi and Nethi’s months of work, the people of Reun’in begin to believe that J’tuvi’s story is in fact true, because they have never seen such powerful technology
5. J’tuvi has to regularly return to D’ni against Nethi’s pleas; the Guild of Writers begins to grow suspicious of J’tuvi’s long absences, and so he J’tuvi creates a hole in the sphere’s roof to look like the moon so as to make the Age appear in perpetual night (he does not want the Guild to know of his extended work to help a single foreign civilization)
V. J’tuvi finishes the stabilizer
1. When J’tuvi and Nethi are done with the stabilizer, the people of Reun’in give them much praise
2. Nethi offers to marry J’tuvi, but he refuses, as he would not be able to ever take her to D’ni (he doesn’t want the Guild of Writers understanding the purpose of his leaves)
3. J’tuvi returns to D’ni, telling Nethi that in several years, after the Guild of Writers has cast aside suspicion of his absences, he will return and take her to D’ni to be married
VI. D’ni falls
1. After eight years, J’tuvi returns to Reun’in and is reunited with Nethi and the people of the Age
2. J’tuvi takes Nethi to D’ni for the first time, and proposes marriage to the Guilds; they accept
3. The very day of this acceptance, Veovis and A’gaeris destroy D’ni, killing J’tuvi and Nethi along with thousands of others
4. In Reun’in, the people begin to fear for the fate of their world, because J’tuvi and Nethi have not returned to keep the stabilizer functioning (they were the only ones knowing how it worked)
5. The people of Reun’in flee their tree and escape to a hopefully safer area on the planet, but they don’t know of the impending doom that hangs over their Age

-

So, there is is. Yes, the format's a little screwed up, but that comes with posting a document on a forum. If you're picky and want the slightly less-confusing version, download the document. All comments are appreciated, including criticism. (I prefer helpful criticism, but even something like "What kind of a story is that?" is appreciated.) Hopefully in the near future I will have some "concept art" (sarcasm intended due to lack of artistic skill) posted to help everyone visualize the Age a little better.

If you're interested in contributing with programming, building/modelling, music composing, or puzzle/concept brainstorming, you can post a comment or send a message to my account (Terakay).

Thank you so much for taking the time to read about my Age.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Terakay

Re: An Age Idea/Story

Postby Xindhus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:36 am

It's not a bad story, not bad at all. You may not be exactly reinventing the wheel here, but if it's good, why not reuse it? :D The story fits in quite well with the period; I was browsing the Archives the other day, and the time immediately preceding the Fall was a time of relaxation of traditional attitudes towards 'ahrotantee' (or whatever).The only point I'd make against the story is that the scale of the undertaking - tunelling all the way to the core - seems a bit too large for one man and his fiancee. Perhaps the whole tribe joined in, and you can still see signs of their traditional practices in the architecture - graffiti on the walls, resting chambers with personal effects left behind off the shaft, religious objects. Perhaps it's not a planet at all, but a moon, with a correspondingly narrower diameter? You could attribute the instability to tidal forces - one of Jupiter's moons is like that, IIRC. The trees - would they be waterlogged, and have a high ion content, allowing them to conduct electricity? That might imply an arid climate, with lots of salt, requiring plants to store water for long periods; or alternately, a very wet one, something like Channelwood.

I think there's really a lot of potential here, if you can pull it off. Good luck!
Xindhus

Previous

Return to Art and Story