Gidtahv

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Gidtahv

Postby Lostthyme » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:49 am

This is an Age that I've been working on and off on all summer. Still haven't had the courage to open up Blender and teach myself how to use it, but I think this is a fair start. I've posted some concept art on dA, but it's not really worth linking to. I'm still working on writing about the next part, so I'll post that when it's finished. Sorry if the second person limited omniscient perspective (I think that's what it's called) is annoying. I was having fun with it.

If you have any criticisms or tips, please share. I really don't know what I'm getting myself into here.

-----

Your vision clears after you link in and a small room fades into sight. It seems the book placed you in a small store room, probably for food judging by the markings on the crates and the half peeled fruits on a nearby table. The stench of rotting produce is strong in the air, and flies are swarming the tables and crates. It seems that no one has been here recently, and you can hear no one nearby. The only sound in the air is the whir of a fan up near the ceiling. You assume it must be for ventilation. You turn and just behind you is a pedestal with a Linking Book on it. Closer investigation proves it to Link back to the Nexus. You walk over to investigate the fruit more closely, and your feet thud quietly on the metal flooring. The fruit is quite decomposed, and just the thought of eating it makes your stomach churn. Your eyes search for a way out, and they fall on a door just to your left. The door is rather rusty, and you hope that you didn't link here only to be stopped by one rusted door. You jiggle the handle on the door, causing rust to shower down onto your shoes. The door doesn't budge. Giving the case up as hopeless, you perform another search of the room. There, on the edge of a shelf, you find a book, its shiny new cover a stark contrast to the rusty interior of the room. Handling it gently, you ease the covers open. The handwriting is cramped and messy, and you strain your eyes in the dim light to see it.

This journal belongs to Marianne Wagner.

If you're reading this, it means either something's happened to me, or I was preoccupied with something and left this laying around. It's most likely the latter. Please don't try to return it to me. I'll remember it eventually and come back for it. But if you find my remains at the bottom of a bottomless pit or something, just return this to the Surface and give it to my dad, Walter Wagner. He usually hangs out around the pub in the Cavern.

Stuck in between the cover and the first page is a folded up piece of graph paper. You unfold it and find a roughly drawn map of the room with plenty of left over to add on.

Disregarding the personal privacy of Miss Wagner, you turn the page and begin to read.

070709- Earth

We discovered a new Age in one of the villas in the Cavern earlier. I nearly broke my spine trying to climb through all of the rubble it was buried under. Not quiet fluent in D'ni yet, but I believe the title on the Book says Gidtahv, which I think means Digger, or something to that effect. When I get back to the main set up I'll make a point to ask. Because I risked my neck getting it out of there, some of the older, more experienced explorers said that I get claims on the first Link to it. After the Maintainers make sure it doesn't link to a blazing inferno, of course.

Guess I was wrong about the name. I wasn't far off, but the stuck up snob I asked made a face when I told him I thought it was called Digger. He told me that the proper name for this Age is "Excavation". Close enough. And the jerk even told me to my face to "go back to the classroom and learn things properly before running around like a moron". I guess I picked the wrong person to ask. It took all of my willpower not to punch him in the nose. I handed the Book over to the Guild of Maintainers for checking, and they told me I should have it back within a couple of weeks. Have to have their stamp of approval before I go Linking in.

The Maintainers took a longer time than I expected to check Gidtahv out. With all of the new Books being discovered lately, the poor people are up to their noses in work. Turns out the Book doesn't link to anywhere dangerous, so I've go the green light to go ahead and explore. I should be Linking in about three days, after some preparations.

On the next page is what appears to be a list of things Marianne planned to pack. The length of the list suggests that she was going to spend quite a while here.

Food
Water (get canteen back from Samuel)
Clothes (be sure to pack extra socks)
Boots
Batteries
Journal (and pen, of course)
rope
pistol (Ever since dad had that run in with that beast on Gahreesen, he won't let me go anywhere with out one. The thing nearly took his leg off.)
chalk
make sure survival kit is packed (knife, matches, first aid kit, flashlight, space blanket, crowbar, etc)
hat
flares

It seems this woman wasn't willing to take any risks. An uneasy, ashamed feeling nags at the back of your mind when you think of your own reckless Linking habits.

Linking here was... anticlimatic. To say the least. I was all prepared to explore, and I can't even leave this room. I can't believe I forgot my crowbar. Oh well. I'll make do with this for now.

To point out the obvious, this Age had inhabitants at one time. It seems that something either killed off all of the people, or I linked into an abandoned area. While the fruit in here is definitely not fresh, and the doors have had plenty of time to seal themselves, it can't have been over a year since people were here last. I managed to open one of the crates, and guess what was inside? Yep, even more stinking fruit.

I'm going to call it quits for now and return to D'ni early. Next time I come back, I'm bringing the proper tools, and then we'll see what's on the other side of that door.

Following the lead of Marianne Wagner, you cast one last wistful glance at the rusted door, then you place your hand on the Linking Book and return to the Nexus.
Lostthyme

Return to Art and Story