D'ni Temple

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: D'ni Temple

Postby matthornb » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks, everyone.

You've given me some things to try.

I hadn't looked at the Shadbuf setting, that may help.

Same with the transparency maps advice, I'll try it.

The collision detection advice also seems very useful. I've been working on a lower-poly version of the level since you suggested that, one that's just meant to be a collision mesh. I'll use that for collisions in future versions of the level.

I'm working on all those pieces of advice and also trying to get the little animated candle flames working. They're Bink videos with transparency maps, basically. I'll also be using video textures for the fountain, I rendered some Realflow-simulated water from top-down then mapped it as a looping 256x256 video texture onto a mesh.

It looks fairly nice in video renders but I haven't tried to get it into Uru yet.

Anyway, I'll keep working on this level and when I run into any more problems I'll tell you.
matthornb

Re: D'ni Temple

Postby matthornb » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:53 am

Okay, I turned off the shadbuf settings and fixed the transparency. The level is running at a framerate double or triple what it was before, and the leaves look noticeably better.

I've modeled a simplified collision mesh and plan to use that for collisions in place of the actual level mesh, will test that soon too and see how it goes.

I'm going to experiment with level scaling, also - I want the imported OBJs to be the right size when imported into Blender, instead of needing to resize them all every time I load my models into Blender to test a new version of the level.

If I can do that, it'll save some time on each iteration of the level and allow me to test changes faster.

EDIT: When exporting Lightwave models to Blender using OBJ, as best I can tell 1 Blender Unit equals 100 meters in Lightwave.
Just thought that information might be useful to people using LW to create worlds; it means (essentially) that 100 meters in LW will end up equivalent to one foot in Uru, as a Blender unit seems to be equal to one foot in PyPRP.

Needless to say, I was having to do a lot of resizing when moving from Lightwave to Blender - my whole level was, when first moved into Blender, about the size of an avatar's hand!
matthornb

Previous

Return to Art and Story