Age Idea - Corsus

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Age Idea - Corsus

Postby Mekeretrig » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi, I'm new.

Writing is a hobby of mine, as well as drawing and modeling in 3dsmax 2010. So I figured this would be an interesting project to take on a see where it goes.

I've only read the first myst book, and played several of the games (1, 3, and 5), so I will definitely be brushing up on my D'ni history :D

Since some of my largest interests lie in literature and philosophy, I figured I would make an age which was devoted to D'ni's most famous scientists, mathematicians, and philosophers. I'll just fashion a few D'ni philosophers after what I think socrates, aristotle, plato, kant, hume, and other figures might have been like, had they been born as D'ni and their ideas more influenced as having originated from/within D'ni culture. Not all of these will be relevent to puzzles, and will just make short/semi-interesting reading. There will be other works by D'ni scientists and mathematicians.

In the age there will be separate sanctums for philosophy, mathematics, and science, each of which will have puzzles that relate to the knowledge they contain. There will be a fourth sanctum, which will be devoted to the tragedy of the D'ni, for which I will try to think up a really clever puzzle.

This idea is mostly undeveloped so bear with me, I'll flesh out the insides once I have made the shell. ;)

Right now I'm working on drawing up some concepts of the age, and later I will begin working on models. If I get my scanner working at some point I'll put the concept art up for your viewing pleasure.
Mekeretrig

Re: Age Idea - Corsus

Postby Xindhus » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:03 am

Now that is a really, really good idea. I'm looking forward to reading what you come up with! One other idea: You might include some of the work we explorers have done towards understanding D'ni culture. (That could be put in the hallways between the sanctums or something.) For example, I seem to remember there being an explorer "Guild of Anthropologists" (or something like that) who had their forum on the now-defunct Uru Guilds website. They produced a number of scholarly papers on a few topics such as the effects of the lake's 25-hour day on the residents of Ae'gura. It'd be a real challenge to find any members nowadays, but it might be worth it to try to include some of their work.

Best of luck with the project!
Xindhus

Postby Mekeretrig » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi! Thanks =]]

I'll find their site and see what I can salvage, and try to gain permission from the writers of course.

This project is part of another, larger project, but it will make its way to the Myst community once Uru gets back on its feet. I played the game a long time ago, but now I can't seem to find where you buy/download it??

I hear that Cyan's on hard times, but hopefully the Myst movie will give it and Myst a second chance.

Until then Corsus will probably only be making an appearance on the Gamembryo engine, in the total conversion Fallout 3 Myst mod I'm working on. However I'll have all the concepts and content made by then, so when the time comes I'll unleash it on Uru ;)
Mekeretrig

Postby J'Kla » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Pi in D'ni would not hold the same resonance as expressed as 22/7 it translates into a simple two digit recurring number when calculated in base 25 Note in this I stand open to correction having done the calculation in base 25 long division I may have done it wrong. :)
J'Kla

Postby Owehn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:55 pm

However, pi being irrational means it doesn't exactly equal 22/7, and its digit expansion in any base never repeats.

Sounds like a cool idea, Mekeretrig!
Owehn

Postby Mekeretrig » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:32 pm

Haha, I'll have to look into that and have it in a book somewhere.

Thanks!
Mekeretrig

Postby Jusme » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Shorah Mekeretrig...Glad you made it here ;) ....I'm glad I was able to 'steer' you in the 'correct' direction..It's always nice to hear a new idea or perspective...A lot of the URU / D'ni story has been hashed over and over-hashed to death...I, for one, am looking forward to 'experiencing' what you come up with....Gandhar salutes you and Good Luck!
Jusme

Postby J'Kla » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 pm

Twice now I have written to RAWA (without reply I might add) to ask for D'ni symbols for + - / and x (add,subtract divide and multiply) as well as a base 25 equivalent to a decimal point an notation method for integers (square cubed etc.) as well as letters denoting ordinal compass points.

This decision is in Cyan Myst cannon area so the answer has to be approved by Cyan and Chogon told me it's only RAWA that can decide. I was wondering if a few more requests might help. ?
J'Kla

Postby ddb174 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:36 am

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Part of the fun is making your own stories and ideas. Besides, even Cyan doesn't try to be consistent with what they've said before, so any attempts at imagining a consistent universe are doomed to begin with :P
ddb174

Postby J'Kla » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:08 pm

We have one advantage with the decision from RAWA and that's the advantage where we can refer all trolls to Cyan. When someone makes a suggestion there's allways some idiot that says if it's not from Cyan it's not valid.

We do have an option of discussion and putting it as a proposal Cyan have always been fair on that and provided it's polite of course.

I have thought about using that default dagger symbol in the font set as the D'ni equivalent of a decimal it's handy because it allready sits in the font and all you have to do is drop it between two numbers.

I ned to figure out what we call it becuse the word decimal is inherently base ten and not base 25 is there a word for that 25 symbol the one with a cross in it or how about that as the "Decimal Point". There's a cute word that drops out of Organic chemistry Pent is five Icos is 20 Pentcos is 25 so we could at least call it a pentcos point and be structurally correct.
J'Kla

Next

Return to Art and Story