Core Experiment: Puzzles

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Core Experiment: Puzzles

Postby griffinps3 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:20 pm

If you have read through the core theme in storytellers you will actually know what im talking about here. I need help with some puzzle ideas for the age core and I would like them based off the core number system (pictures below).

corenumbers1.jpg
corenumbers1.jpg (33.97 KiB) Viewed 4951 times

corenumbers2.jpg
corenumbers2.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 4951 times

So far I have the link in door puzzle done which consists of sliders with the core numbers on it. The task is to line up 4 of the numbers to get the number 31 (in the middle) to make the door open.

Corelinkindoorpuzzle.jpg
Corelinkindoorpuzzle.jpg (35.71 KiB) Viewed 4951 times

Please give me your opinions on my first puzzle and possibly some ideas for more (remember the numbers!) . The Core Experiment thanks you for your help. :)

This post is irrelevent due to a new one.
Last edited by griffinps3 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griffinps3 - Head Core Producer

" Once upon a time there was a lovely little sausage named Bauldrik and he lived happily ever after. The End. " - Blackadder
griffinps3

Re: Core Experiment: Puzzles

Postby dtierce » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:27 am

Although you have constructed a self consistant base-33 numbering scheme, I do not see why it should appear in any D'ni world. Is its appearance supposed to be discovered in a non-D'ni world?? Why 33? Do the natives have 3 arms with 11 fingers each? With D'ni, the logic behind the system is based on 4 fingers per hand (not counting thumbs). Two hands combine to make 5 squared for a maximum single digit of 24. (4 fingers plus no fingers for zero makes 5 per hand.) Counting the thumb could concievably make a base 36 system, but your system falls onto a number (33) that I cannot understand with any humanoid physiology. What are your arguments for the existence of this system?

In my opinion, the numbering system for any number-based puzzle only depends on sufficient prior documentation. The D'ni numbering system is already well documented in the game. You would have to provide that documentation all over again in some context that makes sense in-game.
dtierce

Postby griffinps3 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm not saying the the natives number system goes up to 32 , I'm just saying that's all that was scrawled in the journal ( which I have not finished ) but I can understand your point and will reconsider looking up D'ni numerals. Thank you for the feedback.

Note: The people of core do not have 3 arms with 11 fingers each. Our number system goes up very high and i don't think we have one million arms with a million fingers each.

Note to the note: The core number system is discovered in a non D'ni world. Core is an age that like channel wood is not inhabited by the D'ni.

" Once upon a time there was a lovely little sausage named Bauldrik and he lived happily ever after. The End. " - Blackadder
griffinps3

Postby Atrion » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:19 pm

So if its a non D'ni world you are saying that the inhabitants of this new world also have discovered some form of 'Linking"?

BTW as a side note I like what I have read of your concept work and am looking forward to seeing more and how this turns out

Do you have any other sketches, or written up concept on your age that you could type/scan and share?
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Postby griffinps3 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:17 pm

The thing about the sight linking im not so sure about. Im just trying to get the oppinions and ideas of others while I try to paste my own storyboard togeather

griffinps3

Postby griffinps3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:37 am

Heres a new puzzle involving light. The inner ring controlls the wall and the outer controls the bridge. You must reflect light off the center mirror onto one of the symbols. What is this! One is smashed out. It must be important
corelightproject.jpg
corelightproject.jpg (80.17 KiB) Viewed 4911 times

griffinps3

Postby J'Kla » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Beware of digits that become other digits if inverted. It makes for problems in mathematical problems where rotating elements and up or down have a degree of relevance.

D'ni elements are rotated still remain the same number because the right and upper lines of the box are framing lines only and the tails left and right assert the horizontal.

D'ni is actually base 5 and uses rotation as well as place holding our base 10 system uses place holding only.

In the UK until 1971 we used a base 12 and base 20 system for currency base 16 - 14 system for domestic weights and base 12 - 3 system for human scale length measurement. That is before we start on liquids with pints gallons firkins, tuns, and such anomalies as chains, furlongs, hands hundredweights. In all this we never once thought of cutting off or adding digits to our hands.

We still divide the day into 24 hours and a circle into 360 degrees.
J'Kla

Postby griffinps3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:14 pm

I think I will use a new number system then. Thank you for pointing that out. I will go up to 50.
griffinps3

Postby griffinps3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:46 pm

I have created a more orginised number system for Core. It is based on there 60 positions in void. There is a change like the seasons every 20 positions. At 20 Eurfin (the crystal tower) turns to a redish color and it grows very hot and dry. This is because they are near to a very bright star marked as Exieus. At 40 Eurfin turns a purplish blue and a very light solar wind passes by as plant life flourishes. They have moved away from Exieus just enough so the age can get proper temperatures. At 60 Eurfin turns a dusty clear and the age is frozen in ice. This is because they are so far away in space that Exieus is near no longer visable and no heat reaches the age. You link in at the 45th posistion. Life is unsustainable during the first and last 20 positions.However in order for the people of Core to live they would all rush inside Eurfin and during the summer the crystill would reflect heat rays and in the winter act as sort of a super igloo.
numbers1.jpg
numbers1.jpg (41.74 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
numbers2.jpg
numbers2.jpg (43.21 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
numbers3.jpg
numbers3.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 4887 times

I also created a new door slider puzzle to go with this. Its basically the same thing but adds up to 34.

griffinps3

Postby griffinps3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 pm

Heres the new door slider puzzle.
Sliderpuzzle.jpg
Sliderpuzzle.jpg (70.98 KiB) Viewed 4887 times

griffinps3

Next

Return to Art and Story