Core Experiment: Puzzles

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Core Experiment: Puzzles

Postby J'Kla » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:37 am

These images of your numbers are far too fiddly and the images you are using miss detail at the edges if you want to develop a number system and puzzles built on it I suggest you visit my Enobmort age.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:41 am

OK. I have had a walk to consider. It may be worth thinking about three number systems and understanding why yours is tending towards complexity rather than simplification.

It is often sited that Roman numerals did not work for mathematics so why did the Romans stick with it and how come it has outlived the Roman Empire.

For mathematics the Romans used the Abacus which clearly shows they understood zero place value mathematics. It helps if you think of Roman numerals as a way of writing numbers long hand with out digits as in twenty-five as opposed to 25.

You need to consider your base D'ni uses 25 but the notation is base 5 with a rotation their zero marker is a box with a dot but you could loose the dot and the number system would still work as the empty box could be used to express zero as it does for rotational place holding the D'ni numeral for 15 should have a dot at it's centre but does not.

You seem determined to use the triangle well consider the empty triangle as zero a triangle with a tail as in a letter u a loop bottom left and a bar across the top you now have a rotational indicator and a simplification for the symbols you use within the triangle.

I am guessing you are thrashing your notes onto paper and photographing them to get you images if this is the method you are using then before you post examine your images as you are loosing both detail within and you are not capturing all of the information for example 7, 21 and 35 are completely missing. Consider working with a white board and using an erasable marker.

Your idea is sound even if it is at the moment overly complex in it's execution.
J'Kla

Postby griffinps3 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:42 pm

You know its just a rough draft and it at least is more organized then the last one. The numbers also dont change into other numbers when turned because of the line across the bottom. Theirs also repetition for my numbers with no loop for single didjects. 1 loop for 10s , 2 for 20s , 3 for 30s, and then you croos them through for the last three. It is a rough draft though and Its supposed to be fiddly.
Griffinps3 - Head Core Producer

" Once upon a time there was a lovely little sausage named Bauldrik and he lived happily ever after. The End. " - Blackadder
griffinps3

Postby griffinps3 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

Im also sorry you couldnt see those three numbers but if you put how 1-9 look and then add your loops there you go.

" Once upon a time there was a lovely little sausage named Bauldrik and he lived happily ever after. The End. " - Blackadder
griffinps3

Postby griffinps3 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:32 am

Heres a new concept im working on for a puzzle for the generator you find under the land mass you link in on ( seen in core theme or http://www.theuruprojects.weebly.com ) . It consists of a monitor that shows you a star feild transmitted in by a neerby satylyte and two knobs. The one on the left contross angle and the one on the right controls rotation. There is also a bar that shows how mutch power is being sent in to the generator by the satylye. To compleate this puzzle you must manover the satylyte so that it points at the star that gives off the most energy ( which you can find in the NEW future jornal ) . I will not post this puzzle on my site untill the other two relating to the generator are done. Let me know what you think!

Note: Please forgive the bold lines. My calligraphy pen wasn't working .

generatorpuzzle1.jpg
generatorpuzzle1.jpg (92.82 KiB) Viewed 4191 times

griffinps3

Postby Atrion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:35 am

I was just wondering, are you scanning these images or are you taking photo's of them? I ask cause most seem to have a shadow on them and/or are crooked
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Postby griffinps3 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:57 am

Im so sorry about that. I do not have a scanner and I try my best to get a good shot. I will probably replace some of the really bad shots with better ones. Thank you for pointing that out though. I will try to get them fixed soon.

griffinps3

Postby Atrion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:49 am

No problem, Figure you might as well put up good quality photos so people can get a good feel for your world. I find cropping the image a little larger than your sketches is a good idea.

Have you yourself started modeling this age or are you waiting for someone to offer there help?
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

Postby griffinps3 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:45 pm

I have been trying to moddle this age with blender but I cant really work anything out. If you have any suggestions to make this a little bit less complicated , please tell me.

griffinps3

Postby Atrion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm actually not all that well at blender as of yet myself, sorry. Perhaps if this convo http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3792 goes somewhere you might ed up with a base to start with. Best of luck with it though, from what I have seen/read so far it looks interesting...
-Atrion Darnay-
Atrion

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story