Need Blender Help With MC Ecshers Relativity

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Need Blender Help With MC Ecshers Relitivity

Postby kaelisebonrai » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:25 pm

ahh, what the hey, I'll give you a hand. =) I just need the .blend file, send it to knuxDOTeconaATgmailDOTcom and I'll see if I can set 'er up for you. I'll also see if I can find some textures for it, if not, I'll probably fall back on the D'ni textures from Uru. Unless someone else has some ideas for textures?
kaelisebonrai

Postby Karkadann » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Wow I think I hit a legal snag I just found out that Ecshers work is still copyright, and I am not sure if their gonna be as lenient as Cyan. Im not sure what to do at this point but just in case Im gonna take the pics down. Im not sure if what I have done is a copyright violation or not but I really do not wanna cause any unnecessary legal problems. I was considering writing a letter to the Ecsher foundation with my idea just to make sure its kosher.

When I first found out about it it realy took the wind out of my sails I had such high hopes because it has so much potential for expantion. for instance each of the three planes can be expanded into an age on-to themselves

I hope im blowing this all out of proportion but as I said Im not to failure with copyright laws and am not sure what to do at this point any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby kaelisebonrai » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:02 pm

hold on a second. When did MC Ecsher die, what year, and in what country?
kaelisebonrai

Postby Karkadann » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Thats why I never bothered checking it out before, but its copyright by the Ecsher foundation

http://www.mcescher.com/
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby kaelisebonrai » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Well, the thing is, copyright, depending on country, lasts a different amount of time after the death of the author/artist/creator of the work.

I believe at present, in the US, it is 75 years after death. Different nations have different ways of doing it.

However...

You may want to contact the fellow at this site, since he has made models of MC Ecsher's work, some 3d Computer-based, (admittedly a long time ago), and a number of physical models.

http://www.gamedecor.com/abasworld/

He might have some handy-dandy tips for you. =)

Tell him KE/Kaelis sent you. =)
kaelisebonrai

Postby Karkadann » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Thank you we just may get this age of the ground afterall :-)
Karkadann

Postby Linger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:03 am

To accomplish that you'd have to write a new section of engine that would be much like an expanded version of the 'Portal' system from the popular Valve game... that is, assuming that you would want it to be multiplayer (which is why it would be expanded on since Portal is not multiplayer). Otherwise you could just make hallways leading to similarly confounding areas to make it seem more than a single place (this however, would detract from the level-design having it's basis on the famous piece). All in all - you would need to expand on the game engine anyway to be able to walk in places that are considered walls and ceilings. The game 'Prey' does this physics effect quite nicely.
Looking to move your age from the Story stage into the Concept Art stage?
Rich developmental concept art for your age, for the price of a place in your credits.
Portfolio | Current clientele vacancies = None
Linger

Postby kaelisebonrai » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 am

Linger: Actually, most of this is possible, in Uru. (using subworlds, here's the proof of concept viewtopic.php?t=2442&p=26638#p26638 )

Not sure about the moving from one door to another, but, the different gravity wells is certainly possible.
kaelisebonrai

Postby Karkadann » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:07 am

I thought it was as easy as rotating the planes accordingly
Karkadann

Postby Linger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:25 am

That, is quite interesting. Does this function allow for smooth transitions between wells, or will your character and viewport 'snap' to the 90° angles of Ecsher's Relitivity?
Looking to move your age from the Story stage into the Concept Art stage?
Rich developmental concept art for your age, for the price of a place in your credits.
Portfolio | Current clientele vacancies = None
Linger

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story