Supernatural walkways

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Supernatural walkways

Postby CrimsonMatt » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:58 pm

I have an idea for a part of a scary or whimsical age:

You walk into a room and are on an elevated walkway that goes straight across to the exit other side.There are some other walkways in the room, let's say two. One of them, though, cuts diagonally across the room from the floor to the ceiling, and the other one is perpendicular to your walkway, except it is also upside-down. The camera angle would be fixed in this room, so that you can see everything in the room at once. If possible, it would also force 3rd person mode.

When you walk through the exit on the other side, instead of coming to a new room, you would walk onto the sideways walkway, and when you crossed to that exit, you come back out on the upside-down one!

The way it would work is that you would model 3 identical rooms with the camera in the same place relative to the room. Except the whole room would be rotated so that whatever walkway you're on is perpendicular to gravity. And then just line up the 3 rooms so that you can walk out of one and into the other.

I guess having 2 people in different rooms at once would sort of ruin the illusion, but it would still kinda work...

Anyone like the idea?
CrimsonMatt

Re: Supernatural walkways

Postby Trylon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:41 pm

You wouldn't need to have 3 different rooms.
If I recall correctly gravity is determined by the rotation of your linkin point. So in theory a singel room with 4 rotated linkin points would work as well.
I don't know how that affects multiplayer - it might very well be that both playerss will see verything (including other players) rotated according to their own gravity. That would obviously yield strange effects.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby diafero » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:09 am

Yes, Trylon is right. This could even better be done with subworlds, where gravity can also be changed. Python code can be used to warp the player into the next subworld when going through the exit.

Sounds like a nice idea!
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Linger » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:44 am

This is reminiscent of the "M.C. Escher's Relativity" project that was proposed.
Looking to move your age from the Story stage into the Concept Art stage?
Rich developmental concept art for your age, for the price of a place in your credits.
Portfolio | Current clientele vacancies = None
Linger

Return to Art and Story