Age Idea: J'daera

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Age Idea: J'daera

Postby Kemy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 am

This will be my first Age submission idea so bare with me if I haven’t quite got the hang of things around here, this will also be a text only submission for the moment until more details have been pinned down.

After talking the idea over with Zuri yesterday I found that one of my recent Age ideas was similar to one that had been submitted here before that unfortunately did not work out, we felt that my Age was similar enough to be of some help in that regard.

My idea is for a Guild world similar to the “small city of a library” idea from the Book of Ti’ana and the later references in that same book to Archival/Library Ages where government and Guild work was carried out.

It is called “J’daera” and was written by the original Guild of Writers in 7408 DE, approved by the Guild of Maintainers later that year and developed between 7408 and 7416, opened officially by the Council later in 7416 and handed over to the Guild of Legislators to begin its official operations in 7417 DE.

Staffed by over 400 stationed Guild members, the Age was for the use of all 18 Guilds day and night, but overseen by only a few of them. The buildings ranged from libraries, halls, state chambers, academies for the many young Guildsmen stationed there to learn the ways of the Guilds, dignitary and standard sleeping quarters.

Despite having been written nearly a full 200 years before the Fall in 9400 DE the Age is considered to be a fairly “new” addition to the Legislator group of Ages, some stretching back thousands of years of being a city in themselves, J’daera is more of a large town, bustling with activity perhaps but smaller and newer than its sister Ages.

For Uru, the playable area would be the Guild Hall, linking into the Antechamber via a book located in each of the 5 Guild Pubs back in Ae’gura. The Antechamber is a large circular marble lined/floored room foyer with a “window” not dissimilar to the one of the Concert Hall in Ae’gura, only with 10 upright marble pillars breaking up an opening of significant size in the far wall, offering a view of the magnificent vista outside.

Through two large doors, is the main hall. The hall is illuminated by an overhead glass dome spanning most of the ceiling and has 18 vast pillars supporting that ceiling, 9 to a side emblazoned with the seals of the 18 Major Guilds, 1 to each. The large open circular floor is tiered and is the auditorium used for meetings. In the centre of the floor is the main podium for the current speaker, resting on a solid gold “18” numeral. Cut into the pillars are a single seat each for the ranking Guild Master of each Guild during the meetings.

In the days of D’ni, important matters of state would have been debating on here, with Council members or their personal representatives from the upper echelons of the Guild of Messengers being in attendance for the most important. In Uru the Hall will be a neutral meeting place for the 5 Guilds, open to all 5 and used for meetings affecting all on them, or on Ages that need cooperation from all of the Guilds.

Hopefully we can get some basic floorplans done up, and ideas from all the Guilds brought in to create the most friendly, useful meeting place we can come up with as well as creating a further background for the Age to add to Guild history in a non-conflictory way with canon.
MO:ULa #00365471
Age Concept Designer / Storyline developer
Kemy

Re: Age Idea: J'daera

Postby Tsahl » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 pm

I actually really like this age concept. It's like a congress hall of sorts, I suppose? I have a couple questions though.

A) Is this age actually part of the cavern? It wasn't specified, though I assume so.
B) What would the viewer see in the "magnificent vista" you mentioned? :D
"I'd like to input my thoughts. Not because they're going to change anything, but because this is the Internet, and if I can't make my thoughts feel important by posting them on the Internet, then dammit, why do we have it?" -Calam
Tsahl

Postby Linger » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:46 pm

An inspired idea to say the least.

Tsahl wrote:age actually part of the cavern

A technical impossibility; even if it is in a cavern it won't be the cavern, the tree doesn't work that way.

I'm also interested in the vista mentioned, will it be in the traditional sense of the word (the visual percept of a region as seen through a long, narrow avenue of trees), or simply a grand panorama?
Looking to move your age from the Story stage into the Concept Art stage?
Rich developmental concept art for your age, for the price of a place in your credits.
Portfolio | Current clientele vacancies = None
Linger

Postby Kemy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:13 am

J'daera is a separate Age, not actually in the D'ni Cavern, the vista mentioned would be a large valley sweeping away from the populated section of the Age, the buildings gathered at the raised end of it near or attached to a small group of mountains.

I wanted there to be some altitude to the district, so that all that either worked there or visited would have something nice to look out at, and that discussions would take place in a calm, relaxing Age than wouldn't have the same cramped, dull feel of the cavern that might push the discussions into too morose a mood.

It also would give a good solid foundation to build on and the resources of a river, fruit bearing trees and so on throughout the valley if need be. Plus Veovis may not have had any access to it being in a secure Guild area that even he wasn't cleared to enter, and may help explain some of the surviving Guild members still alive in Releeshahn or The Book of D'ni.
Kemy

Postby Linger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:54 am

I'm imagining something like Theed, Naboo from the Star Wars universe.

and this image by artist 'Unidcolor':
Last edited by Linger on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rich developmental concept art for your age, for the price of a place in your credits.
Linger

Postby Kemy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:19 am

Thats really not what I had in mind, just a simple lush green Age with a wide valley.
Kemy

Postby Linger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Just a thought. :P
It's a good thing you're on a different wave length then, makes for a more genuine surprise and intrigue, not expecting what you're planning.
Linger

Postby Kemy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:24 am

Actually the main focus of the Age really is the Guild Hall and its interior in particular, so the outside of the Age while beautiful isn't too outlandish in any way, just a nice sunny valley.

I'm just interested at the moment in how the community feels about a Guild meeting place and wondering if they have ideas and advice from the previous such project before it goes into development.
Kemy

Return to Art and Story