Idea for my first Age

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Idea for my first Age

Postby Simone » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:35 am

Shorah!
I'm new to the forums (but not new to Uru at all... been in the Cavern, with different names, since Prologue). I've just started learning Blender and PyPRP and, although they don't seem too complicated to use, there's a lot to read through! So, I had an idea for a small D'ni harvest Age, but before struggling with it for months I wanted to ask more experienced writers: is it possible to change the fog settings in an Age depending on an in-game trigger, e.g. my avatar pushes a button and the air becomes gradually more foggy?
Simone - KI#1001138
a.k.a. Morningstar
Simone

Re: Idea for my first Age

Postby tachzusamm » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 am

Shorah, and welcome to the forums.

I don't know how this could be done with an actuator in the game, but in my humble opinion I would say it must be possible, because the Offline KI already has the ability to change the fog settings while you are in your age, by using the "fogcolor" and "fogdensity" commands.
Not sure though if alcscript really allows it, so don't take my words as the final response. ;)
tachzusamm

Postby ddb174 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:47 am

Yes, it can be done with Python pretty easily. It's somthing like PtConsoleCommand("Graphics.Renderer.Fog.SetDefLinear 1 1000 1");

Where that string can be the same thing that would go in a .fni file.
ddb174

Postby diafero » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Some Cyan ages, namely Payiferen and Minkata, already do that - the fog is changed depending on the time of day or your position in the age (no fog in the caves in Minkata, and the fog gets denser as you get farer away from the link-in point).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Simone » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Wow thanks a lot to all for the warm welcome and the replies! They mean that I don't have to throw away my Age idea (yet)! I had noticed, for example, that even the color of the sand brought by the wind in Payiferen changed during the day (have you seen how beatifully red it is at dawn?), but I was not sure if it could be achieved by a humble n00b writer! :-)

Thanks again!

P.S. Just to give you some more detail, it should be a D'ni harvest Age, where a nasty fog tends to accumulate, with some effects on what lives in the Age...
Simone - KI#1001138
a.k.a. Morningstar
Simone

Return to Art and Story