Vogokh Oglahn (D'ni for Ancient Nature)

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Vogokh Oglahn (D'ni for Ancient Nature)

Postby Jamey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Show Spoiler

This is what I've been up to :P Not even close to finished yet, but it's coming along! I've gotten inspiration for this place not only from Cyan Ages, but fan-ages out there as well :)

Story:

OOC: Vogokh Oglahn (Pronounced Voe - Gock - Oh -Glawn ) is basically an age that was visited by the D'ni for a VERY brief time. They had built a few structures there, but for some reason, one day they stopped what they were doing here and left, leaving everything that they had worked on behind.

IC: A lot of this age remains a mystery to me. My theory is that they planned to gather resources from this place, such as various plant-life, soil, and such. However, they stopped and just left probably because something sudden happened. I'm guessing another age was written that provided better resources than what the D'ni would have used that came from here.

If I find anything else about this place that I can confirm, I will let you know ;)

Can I please get opinions on this please?
Last edited by Jamey on Sun May 16, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
KI#46415
Jamey

Re: Vogokh Oglahn (D'ni for Ancient Nature)

Postby ZURI » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Looks fantastic Jamey! The walkway texture is a nice touch. Is it a garden or are we just seeing a small corner?
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Postby Jamey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:47 pm

ZURI wrote:Looks fantastic Jamey! The walkway texture is a nice touch. Is it a garden or are we just seeing a small corner?

It's a garden with plants and ancient structures, surrounded by a moat, in the middle of a desert. You can see where I plan to put the water in picture one

An Oasis in a way ;)

Here is a better view of the layout, but this is an earlier concept so it looks different and kind of ugly in this picture:
Show Spoiler
Last edited by Jamey on Sun May 16, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Linger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:00 am

My opinion, from a level design point of view: Too much space for too few people and objects, yet it's a very small space for a 100% free roaming area.
Nooks and crannys interest people because they might hide things, or they might be empty, that's the exploration and discovery.
Variation is the spice of life and botany is quite lively, something for you to look into.
Build a colour scheme, so things don't look too out of place and give away points of interest or clues to something bigger.

Good work so far. Looking forward to a solid age to explore... ;)
Looking to move your age from the Story stage into the Concept Art stage?
Rich developmental concept art for your age, for the price of a place in your credits.
Portfolio | Current clientele vacancies = None
Linger

Postby Jamey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:11 am

Linger wrote:My opinion, from a level design point of view: Too much space for too few people and objects, yet it's a very small space for a 100% free roaming area.
Nooks and crannys interest people because they might hide things, or they might be empty, that's the exploration and discovery.
Variation is the spice of life and botany is quite lively, something for you to look into.
Build a colour scheme, so things don't look too out of place and give away points of interest or clues to something bigger.

Good work so far. Looking forward to a solid age to explore... ;)

Yeah, there is a lot of open space right now, which is why I'm trying to add as many plants and objects as possible. I'm going to try to come up with at least two other types of plant to put in there.

As for the idea of Nooks and crannys, I really like that idea and will do everything in my ability right now to put things like that into the age :)

Color scheme is also something I didn't consider until now, so thanks for the advice there as well :) I'm gonna try to have a color theme of dark green and color of various sand and soil.

Thanks for the suggestions all! I take all of them into account and I highly appreciate them! :D
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby robbieagray » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:40 pm

This age would be really awesome if you made the texturing better. :)
The Bahro shall rise once more. All hail the Bahro!
robbieagray

Postby Jamey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:18 pm

robbieagray wrote:This age would be really awesome if you made the texturing better. :)

Still working on that. Lighting is also a challenge, but I will do whatever I can :)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Tsahl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:27 am

I do like the aesthetic of this age, but ages with biological elements are especially difficult because they need a variety of them. Not to mention, biology lives and dies, so different stages of this need to be captured in the scenery. I'm not quite sure if the tube-covered pods are biological or not, (which is a good thing! I like that it's mysterious!) but if they are, one would expect to find some at the peak of their life, others dying, some with more tubes than others, different sizes, shapes, etc. The same goes for the four-stalked plant-creatures. Maybe one lost a stalk, maybe one's flowering, or maybe one's been gnawed at by some very hungry giant caterpillar. Incorporating imperfections and different stages of the life present in Vogokh Oglahn will not only give the explorer a better understanding of how life plays out in your age, but will create a more realistic and immersive atmosphere. ;)

And don't forget all the little plants! If this age has giant plants, it logically must have smaller ones. Life starts small and then supersizes with time. This means you'll need plenty of ferns, mosses, ivies, wildflowers, and little shrubs all over the place. This can be tedious at times, which gives incentive to make this age a bit smaller. This will decrease the load on people's computers as they explore, shorten the time it takes to finish this age, and create more spots for hiding secrets! I wish you luck, because I for one look forward to seeing where you go with this. :)
"I'd like to input my thoughts. Not because they're going to change anything, but because this is the Internet, and if I can't make my thoughts feel important by posting them on the Internet, then dammit, why do we have it?" -Calam
Tsahl

Postby Jamey » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Adding more detail to the age. It's coming along pretty well lately. :) Added grass and lamps throughout the age.
Show Spoiler
Last edited by Jamey on Sun May 16, 2010 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Jamey » Sun May 16, 2010 11:09 am

More pics! :D I think it is coming along quite well!

KI#46415
Jamey

Next

Return to Art and Story