Vogokh Oglahn (D'ni for Ancient Nature)

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Vogokh Oglahn (D'ni for Ancient Nature)

Postby Jamey » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that this age is going public very soon. After working on this for 9 months, since Nov. '09, I can say that this age is really going to be something special... :D

Keep checking here for updates...
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Jamey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:14 am

:D After nine months of work, It's here!

http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/ftp/U ... lease1.zip

Enjoy!
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Tweek » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:33 am

Cool thanks Jamey, just took a look at it.

I do have some constructive criticism if you're interested?
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Jamey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:11 am

Sure Tweek! :)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:16 am

Hey Jamey - I loved it specially the ability to run up the Pylon and then leap unto the Plant. Though I did fall off of the ring rim into the moat that circles around the plant
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Tweek » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:30 am

I was impressed with the animations you had going, I'm still trying to figure all that out for my stuff (being able to have doors in my content will be nice :D) especially for Sul which needs doors.

I was looking over the texture work in Oglahn, and noticed some things.

a. texture scaling. In some places the textures repeat a great deal (on the plants mostly) and in other areas they probably don't repeat enough (the rock texture on the roof)

b. depth. There seems to be a distinct lack of shadowing and lighting which could go a long way to adding depth to the Age's atmosphere. Another way could be to layer textures, adding cracks and grime to the walls, floors or something.

c. Color. Overall colour of the Age, there are a lot of greens that are more or less the same green, breaking that up a bit again might help with the atmospheric depth.

Anyway just my thoughts upon visiting ^_^
Beneath - IC Blog.
Tweek

Postby Jamey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Tweek wrote:I was impressed with the animations you had going, I'm still trying to figure all that out for my stuff (being able to have doors in my content will be nice :D) especially for Sul which needs doors.

I was looking over the texture work in Oglahn, and noticed some things.

a. texture scaling. In some places the textures repeat a great deal (on the plants mostly) and in other areas they probably don't repeat enough (the rock texture on the roof)

b. depth. There seems to be a distinct lack of shadowing and lighting which could go a long way to adding depth to the Age's atmosphere. Another way could be to layer textures, adding cracks and grime to the walls, floors or something.

c. Color. Overall colour of the Age, there are a lot of greens that are more or less the same green, breaking that up a bit again might help with the atmospheric depth.

Anyway just my thoughts upon visiting ^_^

a) I could probably fix a few things on that matter. I've been trying to texture these things so that seam lines can't be seen. Even though I created the textures so that they would be tilable both horizontally and vertically, they way that Blender unwraps them (especially on the plants), seam lines still appear. So I guess it'll be trying to find a balance between making the texture seems less obvious, and at the same time, not being able to see a texture tiled too much.

b) I'm gonna come out and say it; Lighting is a PAIN for me. :P I managed to do a lot of vertex painting on the insides of the tower, as well as the base of the plants outside. Having places both indoors and outdoors this age makes lighting the place even more complicated. However, I can add cracks and grime to walls and the floors, I just need the right tools to make the textures. (98% of textures in this age were made by me from scratch in Photoshop, since I LOVE to make textures, since it adds a personal touch to the age.) Tweek, do you know any good Photoshop CS4 brushes that may be useful for texture creation that you can recommend me to?

c) That's kind of how I think about various ages. Whenever I think of Kadish, I think Purple. Whenever I think of Teledahn, I think Orange. Eder Gira and Sandy Red. Etc. I wanted the age to make people think of a certain color. Looks like it did it's job. :) But I see what you mean, if I add anything else that is green, I'll see what I can do to try something different :)

Thanks for the suggestions Tweek! I hope you enjoyed the age so far! :D
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Tweek » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Jamey wrote:
a) I could probably fix a few things on that matter. I've been trying to texture these things so that seam lines can't be seen. Even though I created the textures so that they would be tilable both horizontally and vertically, they way that Blender unwraps them (especially on the plants), seam lines still appear. So I guess it'll be trying to find a balance between making the texture seems less obvious, and at the same time, not being able to see a texture tiled too much.

It's a pain, I'm having similar issues with the tree roots I added to Fahets. I actually have a tutorial coming up for Inkwell regarding texturing cylinders without seems after Whil asked me about texturing vases in Fehnir's House. I apply the similar method when I am texturing tree's and other items like that, might be helpful to you.

b) I'm gonna come out and say it; Lighting is a PAIN for me. :P I managed to do a lot of vertex painting on the insides of the tower, as well as the base of the plants outside. Having places both indoors and outdoors this age makes lighting the place even more complicated. However, I can add cracks and grime to walls and the floors, I just need the right tools to make the textures. (98% of textures in this age were made by me from scratch in Photoshop, since I LOVE to make textures, since it adds a personal touch to the age.) Tweek, do you know any good Photoshop CS4 brushes that may be useful for texture creation that you can recommend me to?

I still use Photoshop 7 for my stuff, I've yet to upgrade. But you might find http://www.brusheezy.com/ and www.deviantart.com handy for brushes (do a search on dA they have a lot). I tend to make a lot of the brushes I use myself.

c) That's kind of how I think about various ages. Whenever I think of Kadish, I think Purple. Whenever I think of Teledahn, I think Orange. Eder Gira and Sandy Red. Etc. I wanted the age to make people think of a certain color. Looks like it did it's job. :) But I see what you mean, if I add anything else that is green, I'll see what I can do to try something different :)

Thanks for the suggestions Tweek! I hope you enjoyed the age so far! :D

Fair enough, I tend to follow the same ideas behind my Ages.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Tweek

Postby ddb174 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:06 pm

Okay, it up on UAM and the UAM shard now! I'm looking forward to exploring it :)
ddb174

Postby Jamey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:15 pm

ddb174 wrote:Okay, it up on UAM and the UAM shard now! I'm looking forward to exploring it :)

Just took a look at it on there. There are still a few bugs in terms of footstep sounds, and the wind for outside seems to be off and on. The soft volume keeping the imager sound on the inside of the tower, and the wind on the outside, seems to work intermittently. This is probably due to ALCUGS as some programming probably works different there than in Uru CC/ABM+POTS.

Other than that, the conversion went very well! Thanks for putting it on there Dustin! :D
KI#46415
Jamey

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story