Fire Tower Age (new at this)

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Fire Tower Age (new at this)

Postby Tsahl » Tue May 04, 2010 6:09 pm

Jojon wrote:No need to make the circles smaller - just make them pointy (maybe a leaf shape) and say that they were originally the spouts, from which the water fell from each tier. (I am assuming this is exactly what you had in mind, actually.)

That's an interesting idea actually; reminds me of the gargoyle spouts on Gothic buildings. However, he's stated that the purpose of them is for telescopes, and (as much fun as I enjoy dipping my feet in a cold stream every now and then), I doubt observers would've wanted soggy toes. ;)
"I'd like to input my thoughts. Not because they're going to change anything, but because this is the Internet, and if I can't make my thoughts feel important by posting them on the Internet, then dammit, why do we have it?" -Calam
Tsahl

Postby Ranting Thespian » Tue May 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Jojon wrote:No need to make the circles smaller - just make them pointy (maybe a leaf shape) and say that they were originally the spouts, from which the water fell from each tier. (I am assuming this is exactly what you had in mind, actually.)

No it was not . . . but it now is!!! I REALLY like that idea. Thanks! :D :D :D
Ranting Thespian

Postby Ranting Thespian » Tue May 04, 2010 8:45 pm

Tsahl wrote: That's an interesting idea actually; reminds me of the gargoyle spouts on Gothic buildings. However, he's stated that the purpose of them is for telescopes, and (as much fun as I enjoy dipping my feet in a cold stream every now and then), I doubt observers would've wanted soggy toes. ;)

Actually, I will just have the edges be the area where the water runs, and behind it the walkway and telescopes.

I also do enjoy getting my feet wet sometimes too ;) .
Ranting Thespian

Postby Ranting Thespian » Fri May 07, 2010 2:21 am

I have been working on some ideas for the room inside the first section of the tower. I have it divided into 2 floors with a spiral staircase in the center. At the moment, there is little in it, and I am still experimenting with the actual size. I have some free furniture models in there at the moment. In the finished product, I imagine there being many bookcases, desks, bed, chairs, tables, artwork, sculptures, crates, dressers, changing area, and anything else the man would require to be able to live there for short periods of time while he is writing. All the textures are just "holding" textures, I am just trying to get feelings out on what would be best types of materials in there. I also have included a 3Ds Max Bi-Ped to get some sizing and dimensions to scale. He is 6' tall, a good size D'ni man (he's a tall boy). I will also refer to him by his Royal D'ni name . . . Frank. I have temporally removed some walls to get better pictures of the inside.

Anyways, here are some pics.
Attachments
r 1.jpg
Here are the two floors. The top has a bookcase and a desk. The bottom has a dining table with chairs and a bed.
r 1.jpg (359.13 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
r 2.jpg
Just a high shot
r 2.jpg (422.41 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
r 4.jpg
Here's LORD FRANK and a bed. He likes to sleep comfortably with his Mr Teddy.
r 4.jpg (560.5 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
Ranting Thespian

Postby Ranting Thespian » Fri May 07, 2010 2:26 am

3 more pictures . . .
Attachments
r 5.jpg
Who's ready for some delicious Bahro steaks? LORD FRANK likes his with gravy.
r 5.jpg (465.66 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
r 3.jpg
LORD FRANK likes his desks with a vase of tulips. There are none here. FRANK is now sad.
r 3.jpg (566.82 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
r 6.jpg
A book case around the corner of the attractive LORD FRANK
r 6.jpg (488.1 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
Ranting Thespian

Postby Tsahl » Sat May 08, 2010 11:14 am

I like how this is coming along. However, are you intending to pass this age off as authentically D'ni? I mean, you're restricted by what canon allows, but you can still write it as it would've appeared in D'ni culture. If that is the case, I would recommend editing your furniture models because the D'ni, though we're not very familiar with all of their furnishing styles, etc., had a distinct culture. We can't expect them all to have had sleigh beds just like us. :P Just be creative!
"I'd like to input my thoughts. Not because they're going to change anything, but because this is the Internet, and if I can't make my thoughts feel important by posting them on the Internet, then dammit, why do we have it?" -Calam
Tsahl

Postby Ranting Thespian » Sat May 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Tsahl wrote:I like how this is coming along. However, are you intending to pass this age off as authentically D'ni? I mean, you're restricted by what canon allows, but you can still write it as it would've appeared in D'ni culture. If that is the case, I would recommend editing your furniture models because the D'ni, though we're not very familiar with all of their furnishing styles, etc., had a distinct culture. We can't expect them all to have had sleigh beds just like us. :P Just be creative!

Well, again, these are free objects I downloaded just to flush out ideas. I actually have some thoughts of what I want the furniture to look like. I have an idea of half D'ni and half Romanitc furniture with colors of a study (Reds with highlights of greens and yellows. think K'veer). As you can also tell, D'ni men don't look like that either ;) .
Ranting Thespian

Postby Tsahl » Sun May 09, 2010 11:45 am

Ranting Thespian wrote:Well, again, these are free objects I downloaded just to flush out ideas. I actually have some thoughts of what I want the furniture to look like. I have an idea of half D'ni and half Romanitc furniture with colors of a study (Reds with highlights of greens and yellows. think K'veer). As you can also tell, D'ni men don't look like that either ;) .

Alright, that's all fine and dandy of course. :P I'm guilty of the same thing. It's always good to flesh out your overall concept before you get in too deep and have to change everything. Red is a very prominent D'ni color (and a favorite of the GoW), so that would work fantastically in the walls. Just maintain a darker color scheme. The D'ni were not usually fond of intense color, as evidenced by their artwork throughout the city. They like a subtle pallette, and it works quite well. Make sure the greens and yellows you use have a touch of brown/orange and are subdued!

They don't?! Oh dear, I've been going about my research all wrong! :cry:

I look forward to seeing your next update! :)
Tsahl

Postby Ranting Thespian » Sun May 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Actually I was in the Writer's Pub the other day, and I think it will have patterns similar to those in the Pub.

Good news is that I now actually have gotten help from a generous 3Ds Max user as well. So, this means that the age is going to start to take more shape :)
Ranting Thespian

Postby Josh44 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi

If you like, I could make some music for this great age!

Let me know!
Josh44

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story