Fire Tower Age (new at this)

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Fire Tower Age (new at this)

Postby Ranting Thespian » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi, I just joined the boards the other day, and posted some thoughts in the general area. I am working in 3ds max on a model for my age, and a friend is using the obj files in blender to make it playable.

I was hoping that you guys would be able to help me with this age. I have so many ideas, but my lack of experience is keeping me from bringing it to a full real scale like that of CYAN's worlds and the wonderful ones you guys have created. I have a bunch of sketches and pictures, and any thoughts and assistance would be a huge help:

Pictures 1-3 are just renderings of the basic model (still needs more stairs, more railings, telescopes, windows, doors, and much more).
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (155.51 KiB) Viewed 7145 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (130.64 KiB) Viewed 7145 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (134.61 KiB) Viewed 7145 times
Ranting Thespian

Re: Fire Tower Age (new at this)

Postby Ranting Thespian » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Picture 4 is it on the island, and the water is from Bryce.
Picture 5 is a sketch of the inside of the actual light house part, with the 2 machines feeding off of the crystal for energy (the crystal has a major part in the story) a ladder leading up to it on the right, and door on the left. There will be massive windows in front and back which are not shown.
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (411.16 KiB) Viewed 7143 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (160.98 KiB) Viewed 7143 times
Ranting Thespian

Postby ZURI » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:01 pm

It looks very nice! You might want to export it soon for URUCC and see how well your stairs work. I've run into some issues with getting the scale correct. Otherwise, the avatar can slow to a crawl when climbing them.

Btw, it looks like you have an excellent start on this. Don't worry too much about recruitment yet. You might want to bring a few folks onboard for testing. Otherwise, from what you've posted here, you'll be ok. Just remember that there is a wiki here that is open for everyone to use. :)

I wish you the best of luck with this. Unfortunately, I'm swamped with other projects and RL issues - so I'm not in a position to take on another task. Keep at it and don't give up! If you really want to - you'll see this to fruition. Good work!
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Postby Linger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:44 pm

Looks like there's a long ladder or many shorter ones in there... that's going to be a pain if there's a lot of up and down involved.
Looking to move your age from the Story stage into the Concept Art stage?
Rich developmental concept art for your age, for the price of a place in your credits.
Portfolio | Current clientele vacancies = None
Linger

Postby Ranting Thespian » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:34 am

Linger wrote:Looks like there's a long ladder or many shorter ones in there... that's going to be a pain if there's a lot of up and down involved.

Well, my plan is to have a spiral staircase going up the "tower" part. My thought was to put the ladder there from the last point of the stairs. There will be no ladders else where, that I can think of. There will be 2 small things of stairs inside the library/living quarters part.
Ranting Thespian

Postby Ranting Thespian » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Well, I am getting stuck now. There are many things now that I see I need to change, but not sure if I am up to it alone. I also tried Blender last night, and was confused out of my mind.

Is there anyone willing to help me out on this age?
Ranting Thespian

Postby Ranting Thespian » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 am

Is there anyone out there that can help me? :(
Ranting Thespian

Postby Jojon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:17 pm

I kind of have to assume everybody (like myself) have more on their hands than they can handle, already...

So If I get you right, your problem is twofold?
( 1: Lots and lots of stuff to implement - too much to do alone, given time constraints.
2: You've "lost" your "Blender associate" and your copy of 3DS is too recent to support Cyan's toolkit, so you'll either need to get Max7, to become familiar with Blender, or to find a new go-between)
Is this correct?

You can always shout right out in this thread, with specific question and hope for responses.

In absense of other responses, so far, tell me what you need, and I'll see if there's anything I can do to help, but I can't promise anything, because I'm slipping badly, as it is. :)
Jojon

Postby Ranting Thespian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:59 am

Thank you Jojon, I guess I was getting impatient because I am stuck and stressed about it, and not seeing replies makes me feel like this is ignored, so I apologize.

Well, my blender associate is alright, but doesn't know a lot, textures and programming won't carry over the same, and knowing Blender is not going to work with MOUL anymore, so I want to use 3Ds Max.

Now, I recently got a copy of 3Ds max 7, but then just a few days ago my processor fried, so I had to scrape up cash for a new comp, and this one has Windows 7. Now the plug-in isn't working. I tried over and over again with the process to get it working, and 3Ds max7 then just crashes at the start (I can use it without the plug-in, though). I am going to try a few things, but I might need to resort to doing a partition and running XP on my old hard drive. So, I am at the moment with max but no plug-in.

So, now I am also looking for anyone who has the 3ds max working with the plug in who can help get the age playable in the event that I can't get it to work on my computer

Also, I now am thinking my ideas for the place need to be completely redesigned. The basic layout is fine, but now I know I am going to need to make the whole thing out of bricks, because the slabs are just not work for realism, and will be hard to show erosion. Then, I need to redesign that machine because the claw things just don't look right anymore. So I am searching for ideas on how to make this place look more tangible and real.

Any help on anything is greatly appreciated, and I would be happy to help in return.
Ranting Thespian

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Hello, Ranting Thespian:

Your best bet for assembling an age team is to review the list of available people on the Age Project Team table, and to PM them directly. Not everyone is reading these forums each day, but they are interested in working on a team. In your case, you could sort the table by the Modeler column and start contacting all the modelers out there.

[Note: I added you to the table when you posted on the Registered List Of Writers topic.]
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Next

Return to Art and Story