Fire Tower Age (new at this)

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Fire Tower Age (new at this)

Postby Jojon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Hmm, why not slabs? Bricks are so small and the structure so huge. :)

The only matter of taste thing I've got to offer, is that I kind of feel the two truncated pyramids and the "onion"-domed round tower, are rather different in style and that something like an octagonal tower, with tall arched window slits at the apex and a simple squat pointy roof, might make for a more coherent whole, if that's desireable - you may well have them different on specific purpose. What do I know, though... I wish Pappou was still around to offer achitectural advice :).

No "claw" assembly? Maybe beam the light from the (wide) base of the tower to a reflector up top? (..with the light source suspended in a very large parabolic mirror, slightly elonglated, so that it focuses on the top reflector.)
Jojon

Postby Ranting Thespian » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Jojon wrote:Hmm, why not slabs? Bricks are so small and the structure so huge. :)

The only matter of taste thing I've got to offer, is that I kind of feel the two truncated pyramids and the "onion"-domed round tower, are rather different in style and that something like an octagonal tower, with tall arched window slits at the apex and a simple squat pointy roof, might make for a more coherent whole, if that's desireable - you may well have them different on specific purpose. What do I know, though... I wish Pappou was still around to offer achitectural advice :).

No "claw" assembly? Maybe beam the light from the (wide) base of the tower to a reflector up top? (..with the light source suspended in a very large parabolic mirror, slightly elonglated, so that it focuses on the top reflector.)

Thanks for the suggestions. As for the style of it, I came up with an idea to overhaul the thing into a giant fountain look, and the tower on top will then represent more of a giant spray of water, fitting more with the then style of the base.

However, you idea of the reflector idea I really like :) . I am going to see if I can do some drawings of that soon.
Ranting Thespian

Postby Ranting Thespian » Sat May 01, 2010 10:48 pm

ok, I have been reworking this model, and I think I have come up with an alright base model for the Fire Tower. Here are some pictures from 3ds max:

Oh, and if you are wondering, the circles are where the telescopes will be placed now.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (262.24 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (259.09 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (196.51 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
Ranting Thespian

Postby Jojon » Sun May 02, 2010 7:27 am

Aaw, I kinda liked the old, simple, base structure, with the stairs prism jutting out to the side, but this works too and results, indeed, in a much more unified and striking design - colouring feels right, too.

No stargazing while polluting the atmosphere with light, I take it, or is the thing more of a searchlight and the telescopes directed to the sea?
Jojon

Postby Tsahl » Sun May 02, 2010 1:57 pm

I really like the structuring of the building. The shape of the tiers is very D'ni. I'm not quite sure if the rounded telescope platforms are really working for the model, however. Wouldn't it be easier to make them simply stand on the corners rather than jut out?
"I'd like to input my thoughts. Not because they're going to change anything, but because this is the Internet, and if I can't make my thoughts feel important by posting them on the Internet, then dammit, why do we have it?" -Calam
Tsahl

Postby Ranting Thespian » Sun May 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Jojon wrote:Aaw, I kinda liked the old, simple, base structure, with the stairs prism jutting out to the side, but this works too and results, indeed, in a much more unified and striking design - colouring feels right, too.

No stargazing while polluting the atmosphere with light, I take it, or is the thing more of a searchlight and the telescopes directed to the sea?

I did like the old model, but the back story called for a much different take. Also, since it used to be a working fountain as well, there will be areas where you could see there were waterfalls, and trenches filled with water, and such.

Also, the tower on the top was built long after the age was written. It is meant to be the new power source after he found the crystal. It needed to be far from the base since it attracts lightning. It resembles a light house, but at the same time the writer did not intend it to be. The telescopes were from him being an explorer (much like Atrus). Just so he could observe this new world around him without disturbing it (plus they are used for the main puzzle).
Ranting Thespian

Postby Ranting Thespian » Sun May 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Tsahl wrote:I really like the structuring of the building. The shape of the tiers is very D'ni. I'm not quite sure if the rounded telescope platforms are really working for the model, however. Wouldn't it be easier to make them simply stand on the corners rather than jut out?

Also, yes the circles do look odd at this point. They are going to be much smaller, and are going to be part of the actual floor and not a seperate piece with a different color. This is just a new simple model to get the ideas out.
Ranting Thespian

Postby 5TheStranger5 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:34 am

.....that tower appears to be able to accommodate a large group of explorers :idea: will have to bring the crew in and test its stability with multiple jump parties once this fascinating Age opens :D .....keep up the excellent work RT ~ i'll be watching this Age and expecting great things from you in the future :!:

~Stranger
Isyeerehmah Re'bahrehltahn ~ Shetehnehmah Re'bahrehltav
Rever The Maker ~ Cherish The Made
5TheStranger5

Postby Ranting Thespian » Tue May 04, 2010 12:43 pm

5TheStranger5 wrote:.....that tower appears to be able to accommodate a large group of explorers :idea: will have to bring the crew in and test its stability with multiple jump parties once this fascinating Age opens :D .....keep up the excellent work RT ~ i'll be watching this Age and expecting great things from you in the future :!:

~Stranger

Yep, the outside will have plenty of room to walk around, and will most likely have nice benches.

And jumping, good luck jumping over large steel rails :P . You could try pretending you are water and jump the falls, though ;) .
Ranting Thespian

Postby Jojon » Tue May 04, 2010 1:44 pm

No need to make the circles smaller - just make them pointy (maybe a leaf shape) and say that they were originally the spouts, from which the water fell from each tier. (I am assuming this is exactly what you had in mind, actually.)
Jojon

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story