Music Technicalities

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Music Technicalities

Postby ZURI » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:29 pm

Are there any recommended or required stipulations as to the frequency of music in our ages? What I mean by this is: does it have to be 44, 96, 128 etc khz? Is the only requirement that it be in the OGG format? If not, what are the major advantages of using a lower frequency? I would think that it could/might improve performance - but by how much? Is it even something to concern myself with?
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Re: Music Technicalities

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:31 pm

The sampling rate should be 44.1 kHz but you can play with the bit rate. The higher the bit rate, the larger the file and the longer the download.

Ogg files have average bit rates which means that the actual rate varies across the song depending on source content. The max average bit rate you can give an ogg file is 350 Kbps but I haven't found any files in MOUL which use more than 192 Kbps. And that is for music. Other sounds use 128 Kbps or lower.

Personally I don't hear any quality reduction when I compress my music to 128 Kbps, but your own ears are always the best judge. ;)
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Re: Music Technicalities

Postby ZURI » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Excellent. Thank you D'Lanor. I wasn't sure what to tell our musician. So, if we stick to 128, should we be ok? I don't want to make things too large, but at the same time - don't want to make them so small as to sound bad.
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Return to Art and Story