Concept Art and Description

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Concept Art and Description

Postby Owehn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:51 am

Here's some concept art I made a couple years ago.

Edit: here's the description I posted on UO when I first invented it:

The eastern side of the island is continually rising (which produced the mountain peak), while the western slope is sinking. The resulting rift creates the outlet for the magma, which constantly flows down the western slope. On the way it becomes relatively cool and forms a layer of new rock. When the lava meets the ocean, it cools completely, releasing its heat in the form of steam, which produces a locally high humidity. Because of the updraft produced by the open lava flow, the water-laden air is drawn back up the side of the mountain, where the air cools and produces cloud, and rains on the eastern slope. Also on the eastern slope is a spring, which is produced by warm water flowing through an underground tunnel. The rainwater cools the spring water, and they flow down together on the eastern slope back into the ocean. The resulting water erosion keeps the height of the eastern slope at a constant level, just as the cooling lava keeps the height of the western slope from falling. The result is a perfect balance, while channeling usable energy from the earth's inner heat to the surface. The d'ni colony in the center of the island uses both the lava flow and the river as sources of energy, especially together.
Attachments
Island.jpg
Island.jpg (113.02 KiB) Viewed 7087 times
Owehn

Re: Concept Art and Description

Postby JulyForToday » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:40 pm

Very intriguing concept! Not sure about the science behind it, but then again, what about those walls and stairs in Spire? Maybe artistic license? I would imagine that it would have to be a bit larger, and not necessarily that perfect looking. But then again, this is the Art we're talking about here.
JulyForToday

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:17 am

hehe, it looks kewl :D one thing though, I've seen with alot of people, that they want to create ages the D'ni went to... we can't do this... we're sposed to be writers, not "Old D'ni age finders" we're not the DRC in other words. perhaps cyan will give us permission to use D'ni names in the ages... but... other than the thing about the D'ni, this looks like a reely kewl age :D
Justintime9

Postby Owehn » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:52 am

Yes, I agree (see the thread called "Discovery"). This description is the original one from several years ago, back before GD asked us not to have Ages with d'ni history in them.
Owehn

Postby bluewyvern » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 am

Just replace "D'ni colony" with any other name, and this is a wonderful, completely original, highly intriguing Age concept.

I like it very much, and I would love to see it. The fact that I'm having trouble even envisioning it, though, makes me think that it would be very, very difficult to pull off. It's really hard to get natural-looking lava...how many games have you seen where you're just walking along and suddenly there's a big pit of yellow soup? Hard to integrate into the surrounding landscape in a way that looks organic and believable. I'd love to see it done well.

Great puzzle potential, too, btw.
Concept, design, storytelling, editorial
KI# 05697413
bluewyvern

Postby Owehn » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:53 am

There is lava in Eder Gira, which I think inspired me a bit. I think it's rather well done there.
Owehn

Postby JulyForToday » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:30 pm

If you want my honest opinon, Eder Gira's lava looks horrible. Better than say Jedi Academy, but still much to be desired.

It would take some work though I do agree.
JulyForToday

Postby Mogwaii » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:38 am

i think there should be more stuff like this, and i like it.
but i agree with july in that the science of it does not seem completely correct
and i see that this is a really old post, but i want to comment anyway and say that i like it.
This seems like a cool game. So from this room I can go anywhere I want? Kirel? Sure I'll go there. Hey, free T-Shirts! Ah ha! This must be the best one, it's farther away! Hey, cool website! So what exactly is an age?
Mogwaii

Postby kaelisebonrai » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:35 am

Holy thread revival, batman!

As Hoikas said before, check out the last post date >.>

and if that fails, check out how recently the people who posted have posted in the forums >.>
kaelisebonrai

Postby ddb174 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:03 am

Yeah, it's a pretty intriguing idea... something plausible yet otherworldly. Definitely classic Myst material!
ddb174

Next

Return to Art and Story