Wacom Tablet and GIMP

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Wacom Tablet and GIMP

Postby ZURI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:14 am

Hey folks,

Last winter, I posted a thread here asking about different tablets. I got some great feedback, and have ....finally.... got a Bamboo-Pen. Heh, better late than never.. :D

Anyways, it works wonderfully - and is pretty much everything I hoped for.... with one exception. I can't get it to work with GIMP. I've been using it to great length with Blender, to make custom skins, lightmaps, etc. It also works fine with an old copy of PS 7 that I have. Even Windows Paint works correctly.

In GIMP, it simply doesn't interact. I can move the cursor, and even select menus. However, when I draw - nothing happens. I searched their (GIMP's) forums (total waste of time), and searched through keywords on Yahoo and Google. All I've found is miles and miles of rubbish. In fact, the vast majorities of posts I found (relating to both Wacom and GIMP) had no replies at all - and the rest were unhelpful.

If any of you have any ideas, I'd be forever grateful for the help. I've been trying to compensate by doing more work in Blender and PS, but frankly - Blender's paint system is only good for certain things, and I don't like Photoshop's workflow. Lol, found myself a bit of a predicament. :shock:

***To sum up what I've tried:
-Reset all default settings.
-Customized the buttons (to make one left-mouseclick). Didn't work, so I changed them back.
-Tried Mouse mode
-Uninstalled/Reinstalled software

No Dice....

Thanks!
MOULagain KI: 45001
ZURI

Re: Wacom Tablet and GIMP

Postby dendwaler » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:32 am

thats is difficult to answer.

i use a wacom tablet bamboo touch and pen and i use the gimp.
it works as expected, no problem at all.
the pen is very sensitive for pressure, nothing wrong.
i have windows 7 64 bit.
Are you sure you use the latest driver?
finally i remember that there sometimes is a conflict with logitech mouse drivers.
For a test, uninstall excisting logitech drivers.
reinstall bamboo after that.
when ok, reinstall latest logitech driver.

further no idea.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby ZURI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:27 am

Hmm, interesting. I'm using XP 32bit. The tablet is brand-new, but it's hard telling how old the drivers are. I'll download/install the latest package.

I don't use a Logitech mouse, so that can't be the problem. If the updated drivers don't work, I'll email customer support and see what they say (if anything).

Thanks for the help!
ZURI

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:37 am

If you want the wacom driver for Win ME thru Win 7 - plus Mac or Linux try
http://www.wacom.com/downloads/drivers.php
and help for the Gimp Plugin setup can be located at
http://registry.gimp.org/node/6656 or http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=25151
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby ZURI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:47 am

Got it working. I had looked under Input controllers in preferences, but didn't see the tablet listed. Under "Configure Extended Input Devices," the stylus/eraser were shown - but the pressure for them was set to 0. After selecting each in the dropdown window - a preset pressure level magically appeared. :?

Thanks for all the help! It's amazing what I see when I open my eyes. :D
ZURI

Postby bnewton81 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:30 pm

What are the benefits of a tablet over a mouse?
bnewton81

Postby Wamduskasapa » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:50 pm

A Graphics Tablet allows one to hand-draw images and graphics, similar to the way one draws an image with a pencil and paper. They can also be used to trace an image from a piece of paper which is secured to the surface of the Graphics Tablet. Other uses are to capture handwritten signatures. A good example of this is is the Walmart and Sams express check out or UPS delivery pad...

EDIT: for the novice - you don't need a big professional tablet - for the average user the Wacom Bamboo does everything you need...
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Luna » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:40 pm

I cannot draw with a mouse. I can draw pretty good ( I like to think) with a tablet. I have been using them for some time now, starting with a small wacom, changing to the larger bamboo quite recently and I like it. (I use it with photoshop though, not Gimp) .
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Return to Art and Story