A Sample.

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: A Sample.

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:06 pm

That's beautifull!!!!!!!!! u're reely talented...
say... would u mind making music like that for Yinfara? the topic can be found on the main page under: projects. your music has a very... sentimental feel to it, it would really add to the atmosphere, no offence to tim larkin, but uru needs more music like that! anyway, if u don't want to, that's ok but if u can your help would be greatly appriciated (we're having trouble finding good music for it)
Justintime9

Postby SteveDenton » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Justintime9 wrote:say... would u mind making music like that for Yinfara? the topic can be found on the main page under: projects. your music has a very... sentimental feel to it, it would really add to the atmosphere, no offence to tim larkin, but uru needs more music like that! anyway, if u don't want to, that's ok but if u can your help would be greatly appriciated (we're having trouble finding good music for it)

I'd be happy to write something for Yinfara, and while the concept art does give me something to go on, I think it would be better if I (and this isn't just for Yinfara, but for any age I end up working on) waited until the age was closer to completion. I think the feel of an age can probably change a lot in both intentional and unintentional ways during the creation process, and the music should reflect the final product rather than the initial inception (actually, it should probably reflect both, but to be on the safe side). Is that alright with you?
SteveDenton

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:21 pm

ya, that makes more sense, :) thx for helping.
Justintime9

Postby Pryftan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:25 pm

I partially agree. On the other hand, if a piece of art inspires a piece of music, and the music inspires a model.. it can be a great part of the whole process.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Kiril » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:05 am

Pryftan wrote:I partially agree. On the other hand, if a piece of art inspires a piece of music, and the music inspires a model.. it can be a great part of the whole process.

I partially agree with your partial agreement! Normally, however, the music is created after the creation is done.
Kiril

Postby Pryftan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:45 am

Yeah, but we're a patchwork group of scarecrow artists, putting a bunch of pieces onto our creations in whatever order we hope will generete enthusiasm for the project rather than a clockwork company with a budget and time constraints.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Kiril » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:25 am

Pryftan wrote:Yeah, but we're a patchwork group of scarecrow artists, putting a bunch of pieces onto our creations in whatever order we hope will generete enthusiasm for the project rather than a clockwork company with a budget and time constraints.

I see your point.
Kiril

Postby BAD » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:24 pm

Wow that was awesome Steve!

I would like to point out that when scoring for an age, we shouldn't be thinking of just putting a piece of music in an age, but rather conforming that piece to the age. Music will be edited, looped and raised or lowered in volume in order to do what we want it to do in the age. Whatever we hear here, we shouldn't judge as a whole, but as in how we could use it.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby r'Tayrtahn » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:59 pm

Excellent job, Steve! I agee with bluewyvern, as far as the application of the piece. But here are a few thoughts of my own. The beginning sounds like coming up on a graveyard... long dead folks, that spelled their own doom. The minor chords are... pensive. It expresses a sense of urgency... the need to puzzle something out. As in, the presence of a massive antique machine that hasn't seen use in ages... or eons. Music for the exporer while he/she is trying to figure out how to turn it on, manipulate it or use it... possibly where an explorer has a limited amount of time to solve the puzzle before the unlocking mechanism resets and the explorer has to start again.
"The truths of mathematics describe a bright and clear universe, exquisite and beautiful in its structure, in comparison with which the physical world is turbid and confused." -Eulogy for G.H.Hardy
r'Tayrtahn

Postby r'Tayrtahn » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:31 pm

Further reflections from a lunatic mind (apologies to Mel Brooks). I suppose I should have read *all* the threads before posting earlier. Having composed a few pieces of music myself, I've always started out with just a melody... a rough draft, if you will. The initial composition is always rather flat, two dimensional. Adding the harmonies and fills flesh out the piece giving it body, and extends it into, not only the third dimension, but into the realm of emotion. Having the melody line might help the modelers with their end, giving them inspiration on the layout of the age and machines therein, the programmers with the timing of mechanisms to possibly move in time with the beat, and the artists with possible tweeks to their textures. The finished piece, of course, would come at the end to tie everything together on an emotional level for the explorer.

What I'm trying to say, is that, while it may make initial collaboration a bit more time consuming, the finished product would be better (imho) than if each piece of the puzzle (so to speak ;-) ) were completed individually, and serially (story, models, textuers, programming then music).

Just my two cents worth. :-)
"The truths of mathematics describe a bright and clear universe, exquisite and beautiful in its structure, in comparison with which the physical world is turbid and confused." -Eulogy for G.H.Hardy
r'Tayrtahn

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story