A Journey Idea

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

A Journey Idea

Postby cskid13 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:43 pm

My idea: The Stranger's Journey

This Journey would include the Myst Island from Myst V (because it is the present-day Myst).

Ages in this journey:
-Myst
-Channelwood
-Stoneship
-Mechanical
-Selenitic

Each age would include similar puzzles to the ones in Myst, as well as seven journey cloths and a Bahro Door. However, there should be some new puzzles and possibly some new areas in these ages because of the new capabilities of Uru.

So, what do you think?
cskid13

Re: A Journey Idea

Postby Tweek » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Personally I don't think we need more journeys, I felt it was bad enough that Cyan added them to Delin/Tsogahl and the Pod Ages (I'm also not overly keen on the Tpots journey) I feel it cheapens the original journey and is a little old hat at this point.

By all means work on projects and puzzles etc, I just don't think "the journey" or journey cloths should be used as a crutch.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby cskid13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:08 am

Tweek wrote:Personally I don't think we need more journeys, I felt it was bad enough that Cyan added them to Delin/Tsogahl and the Pod Ages (I'm also not overly keen on the Tpots journey) I feel it cheapens the original journey and is a little old hat at this point.

By all means work on projects and puzzles etc, I just don't think "the journey" or journey cloths should be used as a crutch.

Fine, there don't have to be journey cloths, but I do think that the player should at least collect some Bahro Wedges.
cskid13

Postby Deledrius » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:50 pm

What are the bahro wedges for?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby cskid13 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Deledrius wrote:What are the bahro wedges for?

They are useful for keeping track of what ages have been completed.
cskid13

Postby J'Kla » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:37 am

Tweek wrote:Personally I don't think we need more journeys, I felt it was bad enough that Cyan added them to Delin/Tsogahl and the Pod Ages (I'm also not overly keen on the Tpots journey) I feel it cheapens the original journey and is a little old hat at this point.

As it stands what else does the game have you click on a number of hidden journeys to open a portal to another area of the game or or you are challenged to find a way to open some door or portal as a single puzzle. Or just find a link stone or a book.

The core behind any adventure game no matter what it's premise is the solving of some puzzle to reach a new area where you collect either a reward or you are faced with a new puzzle. If you consider the puzzle is a lock and the portal to the new area is a door. the key can be something as simple as a source of light and the door a concealed archway you can't use till you see it. Cosider a maze is just a way of consealing a door beyond a complex of confusing passage ways and your key is a map be that written or cognative. Or in the case of Uru to date the collection of seven journey contact points.

Cyan when they created Uru gave us a basic lock that required seven touch points (journeys) unlock a door that allows passage to the Bharo cave where you are rewarded with a pillar and the next installment of the story.

Until we can pick up objects heavier than a feather it's a bit limiting on what we can do to open doors beyond finding hidden switches.

The journey cloths also provided a convenient way of freezing progress so you were not required to complete the age in one sitting and that in the case of a panic relto you could at least resume at your last journey cloth and were not required to go back and start the age at the begining.

As it is Journey cloths may not be required and I have been working towards an alternative use for the Uru game space. Something Cyan gave us without it being their original intention. I have to make a presumtion here because Cyan are notoriously close lipped when it comes to their intentions.

However in addition to doors and portals thanks to some ingenious code from D'Lanor Uru can deliver episodic written word a fine old tradition of story telling.

This has actually been Beta tested back on H'uru shard during Until Uru.

Instead of the journey cloth being just a counter it relases a journal you can read at lesure and either embedded in the story or tagged on the end is a clue to the actions required to find or release the next episode. When Cyan said they were going down the episodic route with their collaboration with Game Trap, I thought this was their intention.

Not the tune in at this particular time to hear second hand because the game space is to crowded for everyone to be present soap opera they tried to deliver.

Now at present we have the tools to deiliver my option using Python and Uru CC using Blender 2.45 Pyprp and I believe it's posible in 3dMax although at present I am on that merry rollercoaster of a learning experience so I can convert my ages to a MOULa format.

The advantage of written word (or holographic or audio recorded playback) eposodic delivery is that you don't all need to be there at one time we have all experienced this in the original game no matter when in the history of your own personal journey through the cavern you heard Yeesha deliver the Bahro cave speeches and the hologram touch this book and you can see it rain bit at the end.

So the point I am making is that at this time is they may end up being called something other than Journey cloths and the number may be greater or less than seven, one in the case of the stones but we are stuck with them for the time being.

We have the capability to build ages and deliver stories let's use that to extend Uru and not get bogged down in discusion our current method of interaction. ;) they could end up being called something other than journeys and there may or may not be seven of them but they are integral to Uru and while you may not like the re-use of these old hat methods in Tpots :shock: they were cutting edge at the time they were written.
J'Kla

Return to Art and Story