Puzzle Designers Wanted

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Puzzle Designers Wanted

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 pm

Ages of Ilathid is looking for creative people to help with puzzle design. The position calls for people who are good at designing original, fun, realistic, themed puzzles and working with a team of like-minded brainstormers. Good written communication skills, openness to critique, and a friendly attitude are a definite must. Besides designing individual puzzles, the applicant should be willing to incorporate their work into the game's broader documentation (i.e. the walkthrough) and explain how a player progresses through the Age and solves the puzzle. Basic drawing skills are required; specifically, you need to be able to draw diagrams that are good enough for a concept artist to work from. You must also be willing to familiarize yourself with the existing work on the game and create work that meets the game's puzzle design principles.
If you're interested, post a response in our new forum at:
http://site.ilathid.com/content/forum/puzzle-designers-wanted
Jennifer_P

Re: Puzzle Designers Wanted

Postby Jojon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Oh, I believed Ilathid was all set with these matters, ages ago. :7

I have yet to manage to conceive even one proper finished puzzle, even for my own ages, so I'm afraid I have nothing to offer but at a shoutout of moral support.

*shouts*

Good luck, though! :)
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Oh, I believed Ilathid was all set with these matters, ages ago. :7

It varies by Age. Some places are all set up; others are rather fuzzy. Plus we're doing a major overhaul of practically the entire game. We got this new Drupal-based website and it's absolutely great. It makes putting together a walkthrough a cinch, so we've been transferring everything over and straightening stuff up as we go. Hence the need for a puzzle designer to fill in some of the holes.

And thanks for the moral support! :D
(Are you sure you don't want to design a calendar based on an alien date system?)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jojon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am

Is it too spoilerish to detail right here, in the open?
Maybe somebody could get inspired and bite... :7
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Yeah, probably so... (C'mon, it's a secret--you can't resist that, can you?) :D
Jennifer_P

Postby Jojon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Jennifer_P wrote:Yeah, probably so... (C'mon, it's a secret--you can't resist that, can you?) :D

Well...

Ok, feel free to spoil me, if noone else.

I promise nothing, though - I'm just not clever enough to figure out good puzzles, even though I keep trying. :)

(...and I have a feeling this one would benefit greatly from its designer being well versed in the culture of the age, in its entirety, which I expect is a bit of a tall order.)
Jojon

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Jojon wrote:Well...

Ok, feel free to spoil me, if no one else.

I promise nothing, though - I'm just not clever enough to figure out good puzzles, even though I keep trying. :)

(...and I have a feeling this one would benefit greatly from its designer being well versed in the culture of the age, in its entirety, which I expect is a bit of a tall order.)

Hey Jojon
The creation of a valid, challenging, story related puzzle becomes easier IF you have more than one or two tricksters barnstorming Ideas
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Jojon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 pm

@Wamduskasapa

So it does!

As it happens; Rhee is, right this moment, volunteering a bit of ballplank service for another loose story outline, that I have been procrastinating on developing for ages and she has given it more life in a week, than I have in several years. :)

When it comes to this puzzle of Ilathid's, though; Are you offering? :7

EDIT: Oh! I just reread the opening post and saw the link - never mind what I wrote. :D ...feel free to bounce ideas off me, if you want to, though. :7
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:13 am

Sure I'm offering. :)

As it happens; Rhee is, right this moment, volunteering a bit of ballplank service for another loose story outline, that I have been procrastinating on developing for ages and she has given it more life in a week, than I have in several years. :)

That's about how I felt when my friend started working on the Ilathid journals last month. :P

I'm thinking it'd probably be easiest to share stuff with you via the docs already up on the website--and then we can do the discussion on the dev forum where Wamduskasapa et al can help with brainstorming if you want. (Actually, I don't you'll need too much cultural background. If anything, you'd be creating it.) And don't worry, I'm not expecting a permanent commitment or anything like that! Just a one time job unless you like it (I can hope). ;)
Sign up for a forum account here http://site.ilathid.com/ forum and I'll get your account ready.
Jennifer_P

Return to Art and Story