Myst Island in Half-Life 2

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Myst Island in Half-Life 2

Postby Agent G » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:41 am

Hello there. I am a long-standing explorer of URU live, and I was directed here because of my great imagination and creative mind. I even have a Guild of Writer's shirt and access to the pub (Though no one is there at the time I arrive, mostly.)
Anyways, for a long time I've had this idea of designing Myst Island from scratch as a different kind of game, specifically a Half-Life 2 mod called "Myst Opportunity" (as a reference to Esher's evil pun in Myst 5). It was inspired from a nightmare years ago, of seeing zombies on the island during a rainstorm and a fisherman holding his severed head on the hook of his rod. The mod places the player on an earth-based recreation of Myst Island "Somewhere off the coast of Washington state", but it's been attacked by someone on the mainland and the goal is to find survivors and evacuate the place.
I am using Source SDK and Valve's Hammer Editor to build this, but so far I've only made some progress. However, I am learning. There is even a picture below meant to represent the starting point for the player, just like the original game. One other thing, when I was designing this, I didn't know anything about the joked game, "Myst Mayhem". Quite a coincidence, if I must say so myself.
I'll continue to work on it in the future, assuming the software will work correctly.
I can't say I'm entirely original because, having Asperger's syndrome, I have a knack for spotting parallels everywhere and a lot of non-original stuff comes up first before I can change it to be original.

There are two other story-based topics I will be posting soon.
Attachments
half_life_2_myst_mod_test_3b__first_view_by_agent_g245-d64yzue.jpg
I took this screenshot on my current map. I've made some changes since then, but I can't get to the map at this point.
half_life_2_myst_mod_test_3b__first_view_by_agent_g245-d64yzue.jpg (110.97 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
Agent G

Re: Myst Island in Half-Life 2

Postby Olympus_Artist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm

This is a very interesting Idea that you have.
Keep up the good work my friend. :)
Olympus_Artist

Re: Myst Island in Half-Life 2

Postby Tomala » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:17 pm

That is AWESOME. :D
Tomala

Return to Art and Story