Ke'mara - New Storyline Complete

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Ke'mara - New Storyline Complete

Postby Nek'rahm » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:11 pm

Yea, I came up with another Age idea ^_^

My original concept followed this Storyline.

As Er'cana revolved around the development of Pellets for the algae of the D'ni Lake, Ke'mara also had a prominent role in D'ni civilization.

As the D'ni civilization flourished, it was soon realized that not all of the supplies needed to build the great city were available in the Cavern, and so the search began. Eventually, it was found that Ke'mara, a coastline Age only civilized on the eastern section of the enormous island, had the materials required to build.

This Age was a beautiful sight to behold. Held in a constant state of sunset, the orange sun only added to the beauty of this Age. Being sure to hold onto this beauty, a small group of people settled on an island a few feet out into the surf. From there, they began operations.

A cavern was soon found that led to an underground Volcano. By searching further, the D'ni found that this volcano left a hot spring above the surface. This spring had a river which sent steaming water down the shoreline and into a waterfall that ran over the side of the outcropped land. There, it landed in the sand of the shores and entered the sea. From here, the D'ni learned.

As the hot water hit the sand, it melted and deformed it into a paste. After controlling a section of the Volcano, a pipe was built leading to a power plant, and further to a small outpost on the northern shore. There, the paste reacted with steam and slight levels of magma to turn into a wax that never burned out. From this, the D'ni built Fire marbles to light the caverns.

Further looking into the island, the D'ni moved to the hilltops. There, they began to look at how the earth, when purified, made two very impressive reactions. Through one set of purifying, the D'ni made a station to make stone blocks capable of resisting wear for centuries (similar to the Pyramids of Giza? O_O). Through another mode of purification, sheets of metal could be made that, no matter what damage happened to them, always returned to their original shape unless set aflame.

Soon, however, the D'ni noticed that a civilization on the western part ofthe island despized them for their ability to control the island in ways they could never do. And so they began to attack the D'ni settlers. As they attempted to repel the attack, the D'ni used the knowledge they had to retaliate and set up a defensive perimeter. Soon, the attacks ceased, and the construction continued.

And now, the Caverns have unveiled this legendary Age again. Welcome to Ke'mara.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea, I know this storyline might not work...

But... either way, I thought it would work as a great Age. I got the idea both from Riven AND bits of URU.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Nek'rahm on Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nek'rahm

Re: Ke'mara

Postby Nek'rahm » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:51 pm

Oh my gosh... Ke'mara came to me and fit when I first thought of the age... but I just found something that fits O_O

mara can be derived from the D'ni word Mahrn, which means Creation.

OMG another Connection. Ke can be derived from the D'ni word kagh... though vaguely. Which stands for ORIGINAL O_O

So, Ke'mara means the Age of Original Creation... wow, that could fit in quite well with my Age concept -_-
Nek'rahm

Postby Barbarra » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:13 pm

I love the idea of finding the source for the fire marbles, although I always thought that they had an organic component beyond simple chemistry.
Barbarra

Postby BAD » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:07 pm

This is one of those situations where I feel Cyan will not approve your age.

It would be great if they accepted your idea for how fire marbles were created, but I think this idea steps to heavily on Cyan's IP (Intellectual property).

I could be wrong so please don't be discouraged. I would recommend you write up a more complete description of the age and submit it to Cyan's legal before proceeding any further with it's development.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Nek'rahm » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:45 pm

Sure thing ^_^

I thought it would be a cool idea to explain the Fire Marbles... as well as open up a new realm for how D'ni built the City.

Also, has Cyan ever revealed the age where the OLD Ruined city of D'ni was? That'd be a cool Stocking Stuffer :D

Okay, I'm gunna get the concept art done, and WRITE a description of the Age. Do some more of that, and I'll be set :P
Nek'rahm

Postby Nek'rahm » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanksgiving Break did WONDERS for my creative mind ^_^

Tomorrow is Sunday... I'll see if I can get my new storyline up tomorrow.

Honestly, nice to see the GoW again :D
Nek'rahm

Postby Nek'rahm » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:14 pm

New Storyline:

"The caverns have come alive again. The walls are brimming with light... but that light is fading."

"Slowly, the caverns are dimming. The sands and rocks swallow all hopes of bringing the city to life."

"However, there will come a day when the caverns will beam brightly again. Where the walls will dance with the shadows and figures of the people, that is the day D'ni shall be born again."

Taking these words to heart, one of the first Guild of Writers members, a man by the name of Adrian Sanctos, tried to bring the caverns alive again.

Weeks, months, years ago, nobody truly knows. One day, he noticed how the lights that kept the city alive, the marbles that brimmed every corner of the cavern, were dimming. Every day, the shadows in the streets grew larger, and the flames grew dimmer.

Yet no one would listen to him. Only one friend he had brought from the Surface would listen to him, and truly understand him. The caverns would die without the light to keep them alive. Something had to be done. And then he remembered... the Art.

Were an Age to be built, he could collect and create all the supplies needed to bring the Cavern to life again! He could build glorious monuments inside the cavern, resculpt the machines of old, and relight the fire that laid dormant in D'ni. Adrian knew what he had to do... he had to create a new Age, an Age that would hold all he would need to keep the city alive. If no one would help him, it would be done by himself.

The groundwork was set. He had to learn the Art before he could write this new Age. And so, he returned to the surface, and journeyed to the resting place of Tomahna. There, he found the descriptive book to Riven, the Fifth Age. Unsurprisingly, the panel was black. Gehn had destroyed the Age... but that was not to say that Atrus hadn't tried to restore it at a time. Adrian poured over the Descriptive Book, noting the differences between Atrus' and Gehn's writings. What could destroy an Age, and what could save it, he learned it all. Finally, he returned to D'ni, with a new plan.

One day, Adrian took one of the GoW's experimental Descriptive Books and replaced it with the Riven book from Tomahna. He replaced the covers of the book and left the city again. Taking shelter in Direbo, Adrian began to write. Every day he wrote, desperately trying to find a way to save D'ni. As his friend brought him nourishment and news, Adrian's strength and determination grew. Then, at long last, the Age was ready to be tested.

Adrian's friend gave him a linking book to Relto, his own personal Age. With everything set, Adrian linked to his new world... and was astonished at what he found.

He had created a medium sized island, covered with sandy beaches, and dotted with underground volcanoes acting as hot springs to everyone on the surface. An Age in perpetual sunset, Adrian was awestruck at what he'd created. And so, adapting the old text of D'ni, he christened his age "Ke'mara," his own Original Creation.

After many weeks, he had finally built a small observatory and living space inside an inlet on the island. From there, he began to work at building the devices he would need to test the Age for the supplies he needed. One day, he found a small cavern on the beach, and was stunned at what he saw at it's end. A volcano, one leading to a hot spring above, was perched in the middle of a cavern. It was glorious, a way to power Ke'mara!

The Age continued it's progress, until both Power and Operation was possible. Every force of nature acting peculiarly in this Age. Water could dissolve and cement rock, Earth could form stones or metals, Fire and Magma provided a controlled power source and even Air could deter or help the forces act out their processes. Everything was going perfectly. As he began to test how hot spring water reacted with the sand of the beaches to make a clay-type mud, Adrian saw he was not alone on Ke'mara.

-----------------Part 1 of Storyline Concludes-------------------------

Sorry, didn't want to drag on too much :D

Making a new part now.
Nek'rahm

Postby Nek'rahm » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:29 pm

Another race, or maybe a group of D'ni, had found him on his Age. They dressed in animal skin, which struck Adrian as odd that he had only seen birds and fish in his Age. Attempting to meet these people, Adrian went from his observatory to make peace with them.

However, they were not friendly. They attacked Adrian and beat him savagely. Involuntarily, Adrian's hand reached for his Relto book on his side, and within an instant he was gone from Ke'mara.

Two weeks later, his friend found him near death on Relto. He attempted to bring him back to the city, but Adrian refused. He could not let them know of Ke'mara, not yet. Finally, they agreed on leaving the Ke'mara book on the shelves of his Relto library before they left. The next day, he was in D'ni.

He was treated of his wounds and questioned for his disappearance. He proclaimed that he had found a linking book to Terahnee, where he had been attacked and brutally beaten after finding his way through the landscape. Upon further questioning, he also implied that the Terahnee book was dropped into a pit in the cavern after he linked. Giving up, the D'ni men let Adrian and his friend leave and head to an eder tomahn near the top of the cavern.

After a week of rest, the two returned to Adrian's Relto Age. There, they intended to stop any of the islanders from attacking their testing labs. After much thought, and after pouring over the knowledge he had, Adrian found a way to take the stone blocks he'd created, and merely move them to another part of the Age, thus creating a large wall and lookout tower surrounding the perimeter of the labs.

After completing the additions, and writing a backup Linking Book to Ke'mara, Adrian took the Descriptive Book to the Age along with his friend. When they arrived, they saw that the islanders had overtaken the east side of the island, where the observatory lands were. Upon arrival to Ke'mara, the natives took Adrian and his friend and beat them fiercely. They took his Relto book and the Ke'mara Descriptive Book and left them on a rock in the hot spring to boil and drown. Adrian lashed out against the natives and ran for his books. But his friend was not so lucky. In the struggle, he was hit over the head and fell into the hot spring.

Adrian leaped for the books, and pulled the Ke'mara book open to a page. There, he wrote a crevice into the Age where the natives were standing, just as they were about to kill him. Suddenly, the crevice appeared and the natives fell to their death. Scrambling, Adrian dove into the hot spring and attempted to pull his friend from the bottom. Taking his friend from the pool, he took the Ke'mara book and linked them both to Relto. From there, he ran to the D'ni City book and took them to the city once again. This time, he would explain everything.

However, upon arriving in the Age, Adrian's friend warned him not to bring any of the D'ni to that accursed island on Ke'mara. After much thought, Adrian agreed. He hid the Ke'mara book amongst his other belongings and returned to the D'ni. They healed his friend after hearing that he had fallen into the lake at the bottom of the city. Adrian later returned to his Relto Age and left both of the Ke'mara books there.

Years later... a member of the Guild of Writers found the Relto Book that belonged to Adrian Sanctos. He traveled there, finding the only link to one of the few Ages ever written by the GoW. Taking both the Ke'mara books with him, the man returned to the city... and to the D'ni.
Nek'rahm

Re: Ke'mara - New Storyline Complete

Postby Chacal » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:02 am

I like the story. There are some parts that need to be fleshed out of course.
Also some that I find hard to believe: That the D'ni would repeatedly heal them from near-death wounds without insisting on a better explanation, and the thing about writing a crevice under the islander's feet.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Re: Ke'mara - New Storyline Complete

Postby Nek'rahm » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:57 pm

Okay, with the D'ni healing him... that was sorta filler to mesh between the two trips to Ke'mara

Also... as in Myst: The Book of Atrus, Gehn used the descriptive book to his Age to edit it WHILE Atrus was inside the Age :D

Also, I wasn't sure how the Terahnee thing would be accepted... honestly, I don't think I should mention that Age, it was so sketchy in Myst: The Book of D'ni...

Anyone else commenting?

P.S. Thanks for telling me you liked the story. I really worked hard on it.
Nek'rahm

Next

Return to Art and Story