Odema - Concept Art and Ideas

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Odema - Concept Art and Ideas

Postby Yali » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:19 am

Lamp designs. The one on the right can either be planted in the ground or hung by a rope.

Another D'ni post. (not necessarily necessary)

Pedestal (although specifically designed for the book room of K'veer)
Image[/quote]

Render by Nadnerb:

Link in area

A little grove/clearing in the midst of a wood - In front of you and facing west is a big willow tree, the trunk of which hosts an enormous dark brown shitaki-like mushroom, providing a shelter. At the base of the trunk and directly under the head of the mushroom is a small wooden door, crudely fastened with rusted hinges to a frame embedded in the mushroom's organic grip. The door has the grid like symbol from here http://www.maj.com/gallery/Yali/Myst-Ur ... detail.jpg built into it out of a golden metal in its center. The door is locked

(Inside the hut is a dwelling of mine, and a door that leads to the above hollow where a linking book can be found and bring you back to the Age you departed from. You must find a key on another Age of mine)

Dead Path

Walking west through the wood from the "shitaki grove", a fork in the path is present. Turning right and thus going north-west, you arrive at a dead end - a dense area characterized by a mossy rock densely covered by the "tall" shrooms (from above), of all different colors - red, blue, yellow, and green, and even a few purple. The rock ends abruptly giving way to a drop, a possible passage quickly halted by the thick forest following it.

Bridge

Continuing south west, you cross a bridge over a large stream. Under the bridge is a lantern with a key hidden on its inside.

Tomb

North of the willow tree hut, a path leads to a pentagonal stone tomb. Within it at its center lies a stone sarcophagus decorated with intricate African/Moroccan influenced carvings.

Garden Cabin

By the stream there is a small wooden cabin containing a wide variety of flora found throughout the Age, ranging from mushrooms to flowers, to small trees. The cabin has no interior lighting, it's simply just a warehouse of sorts for plant life.

Cliffside

Going right from the link in spot, you arrive at a cliff. A path takes you along the cliff's edge allowing you to walk by the edge of the forest, characterized by tall white-barked trees housing nests of various birds and a mossy floor of mushrooms and other vegetation which are slightly hidden within the shadows of the woods.

Pumpkin Wood

Two paths take you through a small wood of twisted pumpkin-trees not unlike the huts found on Tay - squat and ragged contorted trees hosting a variety of large orange, yellow, and green pumpkins of all shapes, sizes, and designs. Both paths twist and turn sharply before letting you off into more normal woods.

Glow Shroom Hill

A path going up a hill of dead tree stumps surrounded by an enormous amount of greenery, leaves you off on a grassy field at the top of the said hill. The field is dotted with short, wide, and grey glow shrooms - mushrooms that at night light up to a soft white glow. Further down the shroom laden field, there is a small pentagonal hut similar in style to the one on Rime, which appears to be made out of dried mushroom material. Smaller, and taller than its width, but not by much, the hut harbors a bunch of junk, and a journal. You can open the door with the key you found earlier.

More art on the way. Feel free to add your own. 8-)
Yali

Re: Odema - Concept Art and Ideas

Postby Nadnerb » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:30 pm

Neat. Today I reworked the model a bit, and got it into nice plasma-exportable form. The first in-game shot of the age:
once I get this set with some more textures, I'll start looking into that willow house thing.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:06 am

kewl! this age has real Potential! say... how do u guys Import stuff u did in Blender, to Uru CC?
Justintime9

Postby Pryftan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:20 am

.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Yali » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:07 pm

Sorry guys, school's been bogging me down. Will try to get some more art done in the next few days. Still gotta install my scanner.
Yali

Postby Nadnerb » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:17 pm

Well, I haven't seen any art of it, so I made a guess at the "Willow hut".
Very preliminary sketchy thing, but let me know what's right and what needs changing. ;)
How's that for good use of lighting? ;) (actually, the lighting may look a bit funky because the objects are still linked, and therefore have identical vertex colors :P)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Yali » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:47 am

Finally!

Shroom-Willow hut:

Pumpkin Path:

Map:

The green blob is the tree, the brown - the shroom, and the white is the inside of the hut.

Elevation:

The green tall thing is the tree and the red is the inside of the dwelling.
Last edited by Yali on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yali

Postby Kedri » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:07 pm

Woah...that looks...awesome... :shock:

Nad, you have brilliant skills in modelling/texturing...and Yali, great concept!
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby Yali » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:09 pm

Well, I've got more...

These are my sketches for my print making class' etching assignment. This is a neat little area by the side of the south cliff where one can see a small inland sea nestled in between the surrounding mountains:

A cliffside shroom housing a lookout deck by the south end of the plateau near the southern waterfall (Ignore the obvious Myst III airship reference):

Drift-shrooms - a type of light foam-like shroom that drifts in the soft winds and has an interior propelling mechanism:

Large drift shrooms which can reach up to 4 metres in height. Normally not flying, but can be found nestled in the grip of rocks:

The pumpkin tree:

Found inside Willow hut:

Various concepts:

Concepts for glow-shroom hill (2 corrections - It should read "Instructions on where to find book are in Willow hut", and the grate should be made of shroom fibers/straw rather than metal):

Edit: The small room within the cabin is now what I've dubbed "the lantern room" - a small room used for storing lanterns found throughout the Age. Lining the walls of the room is a counter where lanterns lie, some broken, some waiting to be finished.

Essentially, this is the gameplay:

You link in in front of the Willow hut. The door is locked. You find a key in a lantern under a nearby bridge, except that it won't open the Willow hut. The key opens the hill hut, where you can find a journal and a gas mask. Unbeknown to you, there is a linking book hidden in the base of one of the glow shrooms, it links to a moderately small Age, characterized by a volcanic-greenhouse atmosphere. The mask will be needed to proceed in the Age.

So, how to get in the Willow hut? Here's the deal...there are two smaller Ages which tie in to Odema as a journey. They are a) the one I just mentioned, and b) an Age I call Treetop, which is essentially just a tree house with a linking book to Odema, a bed, desk, and a little lookout point under the said house. The key will be found in a drawer under the bed. (btw, this is the Age that will get you to Odema in the first place)

Once the Willow hut is opened, you will find a small journal or note which indicates that there is a book hidden somewhere on the Age, perhaps giving a hint. That Age is the goal. I will start separate threads on those two Ages. 8-)
Last edited by Yali on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yali

Postby Yali » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:50 pm

...and another:

Blue forest sucker-shrooms: These are essentially another form of glow shroom that glow a deep cyan blue at night. They have no stems, rather a proboscis like apparatus that protrudes from a cavity in their center and sucks nutrients from "energy shrooms" - little flat shrooms no bigger than a thumb - and uses the said energy to fuel their hypnotic glow - the effect being the purpose of their existence which is used to attract small insects, and most importantly small drift shrooms which gravitate towards the color like mindless jellyfish:

...and one more:

By the rocks I (the first version I made):
Yali

Next

Return to Art and Story