Gimp

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Gimp

Postby Goofy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:48 pm

Late last night I post a few pictures I made with screenshots and gimp. While I was playing with gimp I found a script for gimp that turned any picture into a sketch and another one that turned them into glass.

Heres the ones I posted on the Moul forums:

and heres one I just did

One of them is just the sketch of Encarna(sp?) I found the gimp scripts Here You have to create the file by coping and pasting it. I'm sure most are probley using other programs, but this was rather fun and interesting.
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Re: Gimp

Postby Paradox » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:53 pm

Just thought I would jump in here and do a little bit of plugging 8-)

GIMP is a free, open-source Image Manipulation Program that runs in both Linux and Windows environments. It is fairly similar to Photoshop in what it does, and some amazing things can be created with it. (Like this forum skin and everything over on the HuruStudio site) :P

If you are looking to do Age Creation, I'd highly suggest using GIMP and other open-source programs so that you aren't forced to spend anything to buy proprietary format editors.
Paradox

Postby mar » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:53 am

A simelar program as GIMP and also open source is INKSCAPE.
You can do with this program also nice thinks. :P

You can download it here:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: http://inkscape.org

Mar
mar

Postby belford » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:37 pm

Clarifying the previous post: Inkscape is a free vector-drawing program.

Gimp is open-source Photoshop; Inkscape is open-source Illustrator.
belford

Postby Goofy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:59 pm

heh well I always use things that are free :roll: Here's something else I just made with the same image above. I'm not completely sure how to add more then one texture with UV mapping, but the main texture is UVmapped, but the texture of the canvas is not.

Through the stars and such in just for the heck of it :roll: Oh and I made that one in gimp ;)
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:39 am

If you have created a texture in blender (not from an image) and you want to use it in an age, (which requires it be uvmapped from a image) you can use blender's "Bake" function to have it generate a texture image for you.

Take the object into UV edit mode, select all faces, and in the UV image editor, create a new blank image. Use the u->unwrap(smart projections) function to generate a uv map such that no faces overlap on the image. Then, in the render panels, find the 'bake' tab, select 'textures' and press BAKE. Blender will then render the selected object, and write all the surface colors to the texture image. You'll need to 'save as' the image from the uv image editor before you can use the baked image, and it will be lost if you close blender before doing this.

Also, baking writes to the uv layer currently selected with the 'render' button, but you can type in the name of a uv layer in the 'map input' tab of the material settings panels, after you've selected 'UV'.

This can also be used to create light map textures and other fun things.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Return to Art and Story