Dovah Tsavahn (An Age Idea)

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Dovah Tsavahn (An Age Idea)

Postby Vamp » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:57 pm

Here's a little something I came up with. Just a small age idea I had.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. :)

NOTE: I ordered the huts with the black dots, the market with the triangle and the temple with the square.
***Art is both witnessed and the witness. It expresses a deeper truth.***
Vamp

Re: Dovah Tsavahn (An Age Idea)

Postby BAD » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:04 pm

Not bad Vamp. Perhaps you could write up a description to accompany the pics?
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Vamp » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:16 pm

Well, Dovah Tsavahn is a lost world written by the D'ni. It's a small tropical island drifting on the ocean. It is enthroned with jagged cliffs, lush vegetation, and a large mountain scraping the sky. The people who lived in this age had to abandon it when the fall of D'ni came. These people themselves had a certain talent, as the D'ni could write books to take them to parallel worlds, the Tsavahnians could weave cloths that when touched could take them into the memory the creator had at the time.

This is partially how they develloped their picture technology. When they saw a gorgeous sunset, they could focus on the memory in their heads, hold the threads, and they would quite literally come to life. Sometimes, the memories captured by the cloths were powerful enough to send the weaver into another world. However, such a thing requires painful amounts of concentration. For this, they were called the "People of the Loom", experienced Weavers.

The secret to their threads was a special crystal found in a cave in the mountainside beneath the temple. They melted down this crystal and infused it into their threads so it became something like fiber optic wire. This crystal has the extremely peculiar property to copy a person's memories and broadcast a person into them. Or, to be more precise... the person is not really there! Upon contact with the crystal thread, the memory contained in the cloth is released into the person's mind so they're actually experiencing the memory of the creator.

That's all the background information.
Vamp

Postby Chacal » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 pm

Weavers of memory... I love the concept. It is a great idea with lots of possibilities for puzzles and story line.

The crystal thing, not so much. It kind of breaks down the magic of the original concept. Kinda like the midichlorans in Star Wars I.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Vamp » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:49 pm

I see what you mean.

Yes, I suppose it does detriorate the wonder somewhat. It's just a rough idea at the moment, though. I've already made a few models for the age and the landmass itself, but I need to grab hold of a 3D converter program to import the files into a format Blender can use.

I've got the hut models and already got started on the market one. Got a few textures at the moment, but planning on making more.
Vamp

Postby Marcello » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:51 am

I like the concept too. I also think you do need some concept behind the cloths although I agree the crystal is not strong enough and to magical for the cloth. Another option maybe:

The cloth is made of strings that grow on a tree with special powers. Even after the strings are cut of the tree and woven into a cloth a connection between the cloths and the tree is maintained. So you could say the tree is the memory behind the cloths and holds memories of all people on the island.

Thinking about this one could argue whether a memory tree in itself is enough and the cloths are not necessary to make this concept work. On the other hand... the cloths make their memories more sharable and come to think of it... you need them for the connection with the creator. Ok.... nothing said about losing the cloths lol ;)
Marcello

Postby Vamp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Hmmm. A tree might be a good idea. I wonder though if Cyan would accept that. sounds alot like the Great Tree.

Though it sounds like a good concept. A tree that creates threadlike leaves, perhaps? Might be interesting.

Now that I think about it, you know how the Serenians captured the memories of their people in crystals? Why not do something similar? The Tsavahnians would entwine the memories of those who passed away into a cloth. The Mystics who live in the temple on the mountain would transmit the deceased's memories into the threads and a tapestry with the person's face would be created. Then, whenever that person's family, freinds, or loved ones wished to visit him/her, they'd just touch the cloth. Maybe make a crypt beneath the roots of the tree, or maybe even in the tree (that would be one big tree! :shock: ) that would be symbolic to the Tsavahnian's worship to the tree?

Thanks
Vamp

Return to Art and Story