Ahra Pahts looking for a sound designer.

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Ahra Pahts looking for a sound designer.

Postby Kiril » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Aloys wrote:So far we are aiming at putting some sound in the common areas, which should be warm an inviting.. Then people may add sound to their own areas as they wish but that'll come later.

Thanks for link. How do I actually use the age? Does it load through URU or what?

There is a readme.txt file included in the zip file with all needed instructions. :)

Yes, I found that. I guess I'll have to re-install the Chronicles version on my computer. I haven't had it on there for a long time. I had thought the ages being created here were for Uru Live. Or will this one be converted over at some point...is that the idea?

Another approach to understanding the ambient sound needs for Ahra Pahts. Could you describe for me what you envision an explorer feeling (or perhaps the emotional response you hope for as an age builder) as he/she enters the various areas of the age. Whatever is created sound-wise ought to enhance and/or invoke that desired emotional response. Sound provides an aural "space" within which desired emotional responses can take place. So, for example, you probably don't want a heavy metal riff in the background upon entering the age, no matter how cool it might be. Why? Because it wouldn't invoke the emotional response you're aiming for in the age. I'd like a better understanding of the desired emotional responses to the open spaces, the tower, the caverns, etc. It'll help in attempting to shape some aural textures that might work for the age and produce the desired effect.
Kiril

Postby Paradox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:05 pm

The wonderful, the amazing, the talented (now I'm going to get in trouble for increasing his ego) TW has composed an atmospheric test that I think is absolutely amazing for Ahra Pahts.

http://mwitkowski.net/stuff/ahrapahts_ambient_demo.mp3

He said (quote) "it's probably gonna change if I make it bigger. it's basically an atmosphereic test. like.. I might keep some notes, but yeah"
Paradox

Postby bluewyvern » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:19 am

That's very nice!

A couple thoughts:

Weren't you looking for ambient sound effects, like air and noises, rather than an amelodic musical score?

As a score, though, it was definitely pretty, and conveyed an empty-and-deserted-but-not-spooky feeling that I think is what you wanted. Reminded me a little of Teledahn. Do you have an idea where it might be used? Because it sounded just a touch too... holy for street/outdoors scene. My impression is that the streets should sound a little more still and subdued. Is there some kind of secluded, special, sacred or especially awe-inspiring area where this would fit?
Concept, design, storytelling, editorial
KI# 05697413
bluewyvern

Postby Jennifer_P » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:25 am

I listened to the track for something like an hourish as I was doing my homework (translating the twisted sentences of Virgil's Aeneid) and the track slipped into the background and allowed me to work peacefully and without a sense of overhanging menace. It also reminded me of Teledahn, but I didn't get the feeling of sacredness that you did, Bluewyvern. It didn't get annoying and I didn't notice it looping. I think it was good background ambience indeed.
Jennifer_P

Postby teedyo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:53 am

Nice piece! Invokes quite the the feeling of awe. I agree with blue and don't think it fits really well with 'open' areas. I can easily imagine it being used someplace like the link-in point in Kadish tho'. Perhaps the nexus area of Pahts? Might have to pull up a screenie and play the track.
teedyo

Postby Topher » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:06 pm

I think that would fit really well in the nexus cavern, especially if it sounded a little more distant, or with just a touch of an echo.
Topher

Postby Chacal » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:59 pm

Yes, it is great for the cavern.

I have a sound artist friend looking into this as well, who knows uru well.
I don't think you'll be short of material.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Kiril » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:25 pm

Paradox wrote:The wonderful, the amazing, the talented (now I'm going to get in trouble for increasing his ego) TW has composed an atmospheric test that I think is absolutely amazing for Ahra Pahts.

http://mwitkowski.net/stuff/ahrapahts_ambient_demo.mp3

He said (quote) "it's probably gonna change if I make it bigger. it's basically an atmosphereic test. like.. I might keep some notes, but yeah"

Who is TW?
Kiril

Postby Paradox » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:25 pm

TW is a composer and frequent user of CyanChat. I asked him a while back if he had any ideas for Ahra Pahts music, and he sent that link to me yesterday. His other music can be found on his Google site.
Paradox

Postby ghostwriter » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:14 am

Chacal sent me this thread as I work in sound for films, and I too would be willing to take a shot at creating ambiences. The 2 sounds mentioned in the original post help a lot in getting an idea of what is needed. The possibilites seem endless, but I'm sure once we start bouncing extracts around you'll be able to say what works and what doesn't. Also, ambiences not used for this project could be used later elsewhere, I'm assuming?

Please let us know how to upload sound files, as well as the format and specs: 16-bit vs 24-bit, 44.1 kHz vs 48kHz (or 96kHz), AIFF vs WAV (or any of a myriad of audio or video formats). I'm assuming you want 1 stereo pair, not all the component tracks that make up the final sound? It would help if we could upload short extracts and get feedback on what works and what doesn't. Also, is it important that each ambience be distinct, or can they resemble each other? I'm thinking specifically of the area around the Hub vs the Hub itself, but in general, how unique do you want these ambiences to sound with respect to what has gone before? Many thanks for the input!
ghostwriter

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story