Ahra Pahts looking for a sound designer.

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Ahra Pahts looking for a sound designer.

Postby Nadnerb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:04 am

All of the game files generated here are currently done for the PotS version of plasma. ULM was designed to work with a PotS install as well. So no, it will not work on a plain ABM install.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Topher » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:30 pm

OK, guess I'll have to wait a couple weeks then. I brought ABM home with me for the holidays but left tPotS behind. No big deal, just was looking forward to finally loading some fan-made content over the break. Return to topic.
Topher

Postby ghostwriter » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:41 am

Hi Aloys,

Chacal sent me the good news that Ahra Pahts is up - congratulations! Do you still need an ambience for the Nexus? I didn't see it mentioned in the credits. I have a couple of working tests I could finish. Also, do you require an ambience for each neighourhood (water, plants, sand/rocks)?
ghostwriter

Postby Aloys » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:05 pm

hi Ghostwriter,
funny you should post, I was about to contact you. :)
Yes I still need a sound ambience for the nexus but I was thinking of using that Hub piece you did for this area, which is why I was going to contact you. I really like it, and I known you did that piece for the Hub building, but it happens to be just the kind of atmosphere I would like for the nexus cavern, whereas I'd be going for something a little more melodic for the Hub building..
However the volume of the file you created seems quite low to me; I really have to push the volume on my speakers to hear it. Is there something you could do about it?

Also at some point the Age will indeed need more musics, 4 to be precise, one for each district. Would you be interested in working on some of those?

In the districts I don't think the musics should play in loop. Because even inside a given district the atmosphere will vary quite a bit from street to street. So I think it'd be better to have the music just as a short intro (no more than one minute long) when entering the district. And then as the music fades off we'd go with the proper local sound atmosphere (wind etc). Maybe later it'd be interesting to do specific atmospheres for each courtyard, but one thing at a time. (first I need to actually complete those courtyards)
I might be wrong about that 'intro' idea though, I'm open to suggestions.
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:03 pm

I like ghostwriter's piece and TW's piece as well. I think ghostwriter's piece would be great for Prin Pahts (nexus), since it is underground and has those large GLOWING CRYSTALS (yeah, Jennifer - you heard me! :) ) that could be the source of those occasional striking sounds. And I think TW's piece would be great for the Hub - it sounds so uplifting, and I think it would be a great reward for people who can figure out how to get there... not that it's that difficult.

All I can say is - more music just like that!

I'll see if I can incorporate ghostwriter's piece in Prin Pahts tonight, using the new plugin.

EDIT: I got it to work, and ghostwriter's piece is perfect for Prin Pahts! Now if I can figure out how to keep the sound region from playing the song when I link in to the age outside the region... *me looks at what the soundregion quickscript expands into, then nearly passes out with fright* ... uh, maybe later. <shudder> :D
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Nadnerb » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:03 am

If you have problems with sounds autostarting when they shouldn't, try setting their default volume (in the emitter) to 0. The sound region sets volume to 1 when activated, so it won't stop your sound from working.

As for the "intro music" followed by the background loop, I really like it, and it shouldn't be hard to implement either. :)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:08 pm

I wish I could say that it worked, but it didn't. I set the emitter's volume to zero, but I still hear the sound when I link into the age (outside of the region). Here's my emitter AlcScript:

Code: Select all
s003Emitter:
   type: soundemit
   sound:
      flags: loop | start
      file: s003prinpahts
      volume: 0
      type: Ambience
      channel: right

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Nadnerb » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:14 pm

Well, if you don't want your sound playing on startup, you could start by removing the "start" flag from your script. (which sets the "autostart" flag on the streamingSound) You can also remove the "channel" line. You can also try removing the .sav file for pahts, since uru seems to save some emitter states.

How does this work?:
Code: Select all
s003Emitter:
   type: soundemit
   sound:
      flags: loop
      file: s003prinpahts
      volume: 0
      type: Ambience
Nadnerb

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:28 pm

I removed the sav file, and I also removed the channel and start flag from AlcScript. Now when I link in to the age outside the region, it does the correct thing and does not play music! However, I came across another issue which I posted to a separate thread (here) in order to bring this thread back on topic.

Where did we leave off? OK - I like the two atmospheric songs submitted so far for the hub and Prin Pahts. Would ghostwriter and TW (aka Matt Witkowski) be willing to take on songs for each district in the city? For Aloys' earlier descriptions of the city in this topic, click here and here.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Paradox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:41 pm

For background music, it's also a good idea to set the local flag. This might prevent the problem that you are seeing.

"local" will make the sound only heard by the local avatar. This should always be used for ambiance and background effects. Sounds without the local flag will be heard by all Age players and are likely stored in the .sav for future usage.
Paradox

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story