Product of Brainstorming meeting

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Product of Brainstorming meeting

Postby ChaosSong » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:38 am

During the Oct. 6th brainstorming meeting we discussed an age of broken machenery, an outline follows. This is not yet a project, but just an idea that may be upgraded if there is interest. So without further ado let me share the outline:

Broken Machinery Age

I. Arrival - the explorer arrives in an age that used to be used for mining volitale gasses.
--A. Extensive damage can be seen to the mining equipment, walls etc.
--B. Evidence of fires, burned notes etc...
----1. Among the damaged notes, there are three logbooks from three different chemists
----2. The chemists' notes provide the formula for fuel for an aceyteline torch-like device that can be found later in the age
----3. A welder's mask can be found - this will be required to operate the torch

II. Control Room - central facility used to monitor mining operations
--A. This room features a map of the various mine shafts, at least three of these are accessible to the explorer, but there could be more on the map that are blocked.
--B. This room has a setup for containing and mixing gasses that will be used to create fuel for the torch.
----1. perhaps a gadget for testing mixtures
------a. incorrect formula fizzles and smokes
------b. correct formula throws off a shower of sparks
----2. several non-functional controls and monitors would help with atmosphere

III. Offices and Quarters - radial around the control room lie several offices and living quarters
--A. the offices would contain the notes required to measure out the correct combo of gasses for the torch-fuel
----1. notes from all three Chemisits would need to be examined for a complete formula
------a. damaged notes and internal disagreements could prompt the need to see all three versions
------b. these notes are also a chance to show some conflict between the Miners and the Chemists who were stationed here, perhaps hint at the disaster that caused the damage.
----2. instructions for the mining machines could be found in a miner's office - good place for the mask
--B. Living quarters would be more for show featuring:
----1. personal effects and artwork
----2. journals detailing the crisis and or evacuation

IV. Mine Shafts - long shafts reach far underground feature a delivery system for transporting containers filled with gas
--A. at the bottom of each shaft a device (that may require minor repair) can be used to mine a small portion of gas and deliver it up to the control room
----1. a sequence showing the container being zipped up to the control room would be neat
----2. a nice hissing sound as the container is filled
--B. inaccessible shafts could be blocked by cave-ins, fallen machenery, or maybe swirling gas that the avi will refuse to enter

V. Machine Room - a chaotic tumble of machinery featuring a broken drive shaft that must be welded together to move a gear (likely to reval an exit)
--A. before welding, the machine can be turned on, the drive half of the shaft will spin while the gear shaft is stationary, the break between them is small but enough to prevent operation
--B. The welding torch will be here, perhaps it will need to be moved into position, it will not work until appropiate fuel has been mixed
----1. if the torch is activated without fuel, it will produce a starter spark
----2. if the torch is ignighted with fuel but the explorer isn't wearing the mask, the avi will shield their face and step away from it

See also the revised version of this outline containing much of the materal in this discussion thread: http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=795&p=7168#p7168

Please share any thoughts or comments.
Last edited by ChaosSong on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KI# 09575827
ChaosSong

Re: Product of Brainstorming meeting

Postby Jojon » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:33 am

A cool and well fleshed out concept. The one thing I'm wondering about, is whether them D'ni goggles that a lot of people seem to be wearing, wouldn't prove a good subtitute for the welding mask. :7
Jojon

Postby SteveDenton » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:44 am

Jojon wrote:The one thing I'm wondering about, is whether them D'ni goggles that a lot of people seem to be wearing, wouldn't prove a good subtitute for the welding mask. :7

I highly doubt it. When you wear a welding mask, you can't see anything until you start welding. Safety necessitates that the panel be that dark (though some modern welding masks adjust their tint automatically when a bright light is detected). D'ni goggles, judging by Esher's liberal use of them in Myst 5, are closer to sun glasses, which just aren't strong enough to use safely while welding.
SteveDenton

Postby Jojon » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:53 am

Maybe. The bits I've read makes it sound like they are adjustable within a very wide range, all the way to almost opaque, but just HOW almost, it doesn't say. :)
Jojon

Postby Owehn » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:18 pm

Instead of a welding mask, there could be some safety mechanism that must be in place and working before the welder will do anything. That would work well if interactive clothing isn't an option.
Owehn

Postby ChaosSong » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:03 pm

Owehn wrote:Instead of a welding mask, there could be some safety mechanism that must be in place and working before the welder will do anything. That would work well if interactive clothing isn't an option.

This was actually mentioned at the meeting and is a good idea for a backup plan, but we want to try for the clothing 'cause well, people like clothes.
KI# 09575827
ChaosSong

Postby bluewyvern » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:00 pm

I like this concept a lot. There are a lot of Ages that have a very primitive look and feel -- I was going to suggest that it might be a nice change to do an Age that was more technologically advanced, something more on par with our modern world. Apart from D'ni technology, I can't think of anything else that has had a modern feel.

Wish I could have gone to the meeting...I had been looking forward to it, but ended up going away on a visit this weekend. I thought it might be unsocial of me to go installing Gametap on their computer and spend the night online. :roll:
Concept, design, storytelling, editorial
KI# 05697413
bluewyvern

Postby ChaosSong » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:09 pm

bluewyvern wrote:Wish I could have gone to the meeting... :roll:

I think there is enough responce to warrant a second meeting it will be in approx two weeks and earlier in the day for those sleepy Europeans ;) I'll have more on this later when I find out which weekend in October I won't be free.

All are welcome who think this would be a good project.
KI# 09575827
ChaosSong

Postby belford » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:48 pm

"...people like clothes."

More than that: clothes are a game element which have never been used in a puzzle. They actually work really well for puzzle elements, because they're inventory of a sort -- the only sort we've got, aside from fireflies. You can imagine "picking up a wrench" by changing the player's pants to a generic sort of work pants with a wrench slung at the hip...

(We still need the backup plan, because it's not clear if player Ages will be able to have clothing. Messing with the wardrobe has game-wide consequences.)

(Mind you, for this idea, it would be sufficient if the clothing item were limited to the Age -- if it fell off when you linked out. That might be possible even if complete new outfits are not.)
belford

Postby Whilyam » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:25 pm

Actually the yeesha shirt is used in unlocking the easter eggs.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of a welder's mask as a pre-requisite for a puzzle. It just seems like the many other "pick up odd item for use later" games. If something like this gets put into an age, maybe at least make it something more uniquely designed than a simple welder's mask. Like the D'ni goggles, though those would be off-limits without Cyan's consent of course. But some form of eye protection designed by the inhabitants/owners of the age. Not just some earth-based object.
Whilyam

Next

Return to Art and Story