Sehv'ahno Concept - Stage 4 Production (First Blender Build)

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Sehv'ahno Concept - Stage 4 Production (First Blender Build)

Postby Nek'rahm » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:28 pm

I had a dream last night... frightful as it may sound.

Do you know of the Pods? Todelmer, Negilahn, Dereno, Payiferen, Tetsonot....

Imagine one of LARGER scale... a city in itself. Deep beneath the sea's surface. An Age submerged... an Age abandoned.

I dreamed of it last night... a wonderous, almost cavernous pod... sitting deep below the sea... with nobody there but myself. I saw animals, I saw machines, I saw what lied above the surface of the water.

I am doing my best to sketch what I saw. I will then think of a possible story. It just came to me... dunno if that's happened to anyone else before :D

Thank you for reading and commenting.

EDIT: Wow, posting these ideas got more flowing :D

I'm working on a concept art right now... kinda a "big picture" sketch that will encompass most of what makes up the Age.

Please post to help get my thoughts moving.
Last edited by Nek'rahm on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nek'rahm

Re: Do you Dream? (Sehv'ahno Idea)

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:22 pm

o_O that would be soooooooo awesome! I like it, perhaps it could be a bit like an Un-restored D'ni, or maybe just empty houses, and everything gathering dust... is that what you imagined? well, any way you u put it, it sounds like a reely kewl dream... and unfortunatly I havn't had dreams about possible ages, but I have had URU dreams :D
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:00 am

Hmm, I think the most important thing is to make the pod/city not round--so it's not too much like Ahnonay. Also I think pretty girders are a must-have--you know, like the golden-gate bridge. What about a squashed sphere, and then the top and bottom are glass? :) I like the idea a lot. :D
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Nek'rahm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:50 pm

Lontahv... I am fiddling with it right now. It's looking better to be above water... but... I made it kinda a pill shape, with giant golden-metal struts keeping it together. There's also a giant stone pillar piercing through the bottom and top ^_^

I got the big picture done, I'll try to upload on Saturday.

Anywho, I did some more thinking and added a plot-line (ergo, what to do in the Age :D)

I'm assuming this one is ABOVE WATER Sehv'ahno. a BELOW WATER one would need tweaking.

1) You arrive BELOW the main pod, in a slightly smaller one. You climb a ladder and make it inside.

THE POD) 4 major stories, reachable by hydrolic tram (ergo, water flooding in and out to power the lift). However, no power runs through the structure. It is dark and dead... with only the outside life and light to keep things bright.

POD GOAL 1) Find the backup generator and re-activate the Levi-Tram. This will allow you to ride a tram to connect you to the Living Quarters (another Stone Pillar with smaller pods on it). This is where the Age's inventors (GoW People) stayed.

Levi-Tram) Sit down, pull a lever, it flies along a triangular track. You arrive in a Junction Pod (yes there's another place to go :S) and get out onto a hallway. Follow it to another Hydrolic Lift. By changing pressure levels, it rises 6 times to allow access to 6 different rooms.

The Second Generator) Small puzzle, not sure what it is yet, found in the Journals of the people who lived here. It over-rides the Hydrolic Lift's commands and goes up ONE last level, dropping you out at the Emergency Generator. Power it, there is now light in the Main Pod, there is MORE light in the Quarters, and the other path from the Junction Point is open.

Generator Pyramid) Pyramid of stone and glass. Go inside from the Levi-Tram station, climb a few ladders, find another puzzle (prolly with steam and pressure... I'm thinking a lot about Voltaic) and rewire some stuff. Now all power is open, and a weird symbol shines off the top of the structure... aiming at the Main Pod

POD GOAL 2) Use the Lifts to get to the different levels, set up a permanent path back to the bottom, and find the meaning of the weird symbol (it's the Calling Card of the 6 people who made the Age)

Now we get into more MOUL stuff :)

THE FIRST SYMBOL: In the main pod of course. This one will DEFINATELY use light refraction. I'm thinking of using some Sehv'ahno lamps to focus light in a controlled path. Anywho, you get to a rock formation, and a symbol shines on the wall. The Creator's Symbol of Sehv'ahno. Touch it, you hear a grinding, and the floor drops down to the first floor, right above where you first entered the main pod.

Effects: You climb back down to the Age's Entrance. You notice now there's a Cave outside the pod, with 4 rings aiming at it. One is connected to your pod now by a glass covering. The others are not. Guess what? :) You see another light beam aiming at the Quarters' Island.

THE SECOND SYMBOL: Still don't know how to get this one... thinking of manually linking power cuplinks around the Quarters... Opens up a Seventh pod on the island. Walk to a desk and see a porthole reflecting light on it. The Second Symbol. Touch it and hear grinding. Where to now?

THE THIRD SYMBOL: Easier... it's in the Generator Pyramid. Climb to the top of it, brining with you some notes from the 7th Pod's Journal. Rewire some stuff again, now a door opens up in the main generator. Climb down to the bottom of the pyramid. The Rocks are etched out with the symbol. Look around for something... AH-HA! A light plugged into the ceiling. Power it and use a control to turn it to the wall. It lights up, press it, grinding, head back to the Main Pod.

THE FOURTH SYMBOL: This is DECEPTIVELY simple. On one of the floors of the main pod was a section with some Workshops with doors that open. A few were high and unreachable. Head into a few of em and notice that one has a window with glass up at the top of the floor. Head into the building under it, open the door to go in. Turn around, close it, a ladder is shown to climb up. Climb up top to find the workshop... but the glass isn't letting the symbol through. Open the door, it rotates and the glass lines up and focuses a symbol on the floor. Press it and head back to the start.

GETTING THERE: Now, all four of the links are completed, the cave is reachable. Head to the spot where you linked in, pull a lever, a giant elevator slides down the tube and into the cave. Step off of it and walk down a few stairs into a secret room. The Room has a Door (similar to Bahro Door) in the back with the symbol on it. Also, a Star is painted behind the symbol, each point with a lit circle... excpet one.

THE FIFTH SYMBOL: Touch the door, the final circle lights up, the door swings around to reveal a Linking Book. Touch it... and you link to the TOP of the Structure... the small pod unreachable before now.

End-Age: You link in, turn on a switch, and the pod lights up. It's covered with paintings, has a bed, a desk, a journal... Who lived here? I dunno... but pulling a hidden lever causes a ladder to fall into the room. You look up, there's a HUGE Tube. You climb... and climb... and climb. Finally, you arrive at an Observation Deck. Pulling a switch causes four portholes to open, showing you the Age in it's entireny and it's beauty. More importantly, a pillar rose out of the ground. Turn to face it... and what do you see?

It's a Linking Book... with a Page next to it. If Cyan uses this Age, the page would be a Relto Page for something... I was thinking a basement to your Relto Hut :P

The Book, more closely viewed, Links to a small pod.... in this Age? You lay your hand on the panel... and a new page is added to each Sehv'ahno book you open:

THE LAST POD: You arrive in this pod, four books surrounding you... with a fifth at the far end of the pod. A single light is hanging over you. Looking at the books, they take you to key points: The Generator Pyramid, the Junction Hallway, the Bottom of the Main Pod's pillar, and the Observatory you were just in. The final one has one last link... a Link to the Tree of Ae'gura.

You touch it... and your Journey ends... for now...

So... whaddaya think? Took me a while... and I think this age may be a Golden Idea for the Guild of Writers :)
Nek'rahm

Postby Lontahv » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Sounds great! :D :D :D But... we need to get some good looking moving water to make it look convincing, let's enlist the help of some of the pyprp folks and try to get some moving water in there!
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby Nek'rahm » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Still concept, as we know, but I'm WORKING on getting my big picture scanned in today.

Also, I think it would be less taxing to do this: Make the Age above water for now.

Honestly, if we make it above water on islands first, all we have to do to make it below water is raise the water texture and dull the sun.

It'd make more sense to do it above water first, if it's done at all.

Next post by me SHOULD be the Image.
Nek'rahm

Postby Nek'rahm » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Shorah, hello, what's up, and hi!

It's Nek'rahm. I said I'd do it, and I finally did.

Two pieces of concept art that took me forever. A main picture and a Bird's eye. Granted, I didn't show where the Age's GZ would be... but that's provided this project gets farther.

Here's my system of Stages:

Stage 1 - Idea put forth, received
Stage 2 - Concept Art beings, main picture, bird's eye, and limited concept art concerning major areas
Stage 3 - Concept Art advances, more detailed drawings, more accelerated interest in Age
Stage 4 - Age begins to be built and rendered (project truely goes under way)
Stage 5 - Age rendered and suitable to be shown as screenshot format
Stage 6 - Age readily textured, detailed, and ready for Alpha Testing
Stage 7 - Beta testing, bugs to be fixed
Stage 8 - Full release. Project is done

So, I'll rename my topic to Sehv'ahno, Stage 2, and we'll work from there ^_^

BTW, before I go, the two artwork pieces :P

~Main Picture, Possible view from Distant pod
http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mainpictureartpiecels3.jpg

~Bird's Eye view, limited extra areas but core Age shown
http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=birdseyesehvahnonk1.jpg

Everyone, enjoy, comment, and help if you can ^_^

I'll start getting down to more detailed Artwork... probably starting with the Main Pod's Antichamber.

Thanks to everyone for showing interest
~Nek'rahm
Nek'rahm

Re: Sehv'ahno Concept - Stage 2 Production

Postby Lontahv » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:06 pm

I'll rough out the landscape for you in 3d if you want. :)
Lontahv

Postby Nek'rahm » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:38 pm

That'd rock, sure :)

Chacal said he'd help with some of the core modeling too. Give it a go, try to sculpt the islands as best as you can. Mess around with it too... have fun! ^_^

In the meanwhile, I'll work on more art.
Nek'rahm

Postby pappou » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:52 pm

Strong visuals, Nek'rahm. Now i 'see' what you are talking about.

And I see your pod taking on the Victorian quality of Wells' "Time Machine", especially as you develop Lontahv's girder structures. I think that is a good idea, but the structures would be more brass than steel. That has also been a special quality Cyan has develped, which other gamers seem to be following. It is developing the quality of the Victorian scientific laboratory, as was Gehn's mountain top in Riven and Atrus' lab in Revelation.

But i also think it is important to play up the spatial quality that rises up through the center of the pod. The present elevation makes the core seem to be a closed cone and too solid. Maybe your pod could be more like looking in at the little creatures inside a jelly fish. Is it possible that the conical core might be a fantastic filligree of brass structures rising up through the great volumes of space of the dome? That way it would echo the structure on the exterior.

A great amount of very fine detailing on the exterior will increase the scale and the impact of the dome too. Maybe Lontahv can help you with this highly detailed level of visual development. It seems crucial to your concept.

The Big concept is looking better all the time; blessings, Nek'rahm.
pappou
pappou

Next

Return to Art and Story