Gestoypahts Journal Scientific: Fungal Problem

Gestoypahts Journal Scientific: Fungal Problem

Postby pappou » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:46 am

JOURNAL SCIENTIFIC: The Fungal Problem

date
Another boat load of residents left today for MotherPahts and other islands.
There are probably no more than 50 of us left in this Pahts right now, and they will leave on the next available ship.

But I will have no time to feel lonely or forgotten. It is up to me to finalize the solution to the fungal problem.

date
It is miserable living in this breathing mask; but there is no question of going without it.
A rash has developed on my forearms; and my stomach is beginning to itch. It would seem that I do not have as much time as I may need.

date
Even with the short time left to me, I have decided to make this record of our work on the fungus.
Hopefully, someone from the Science Guild will arrive soon and pick up where we have left off.
At least, our struggles and mistakes will give them a head start.

date
SUMMARY of the PATHOGEN

About six months ago, during the third month, it was becoming clear that a fungus (found growing around the edges of the lava mud pits) was becoming virulent. The lavaMaster and the biologyMaster discovered that it had come from the elevator cab which services the geosynchronous satellite. They were amazed to find that the metallic cab itself was actually being eaten, inside and out, by some sort of space fungus. The fungus had been transferred from the elevator at the Houmala Factory to the Factory's four lava mud pits, where it hibernated, then spawned and spread.

This fungus is now hyper virulent. It is infecting the Pahts and has killed three people. I feel certain that my pending death will not be the last.

The biologyMaster left this analysis of the fungus acting upon himself, before he died:
Attack of a fungus 3.png
Attack of a fungus 3.png (674.6 KiB) Viewed 3715 times

“(A) After physical contact between a fungal spore and the cuticle,
(B) recognition of the host by the fungus leads to spore germination and production of a penetration structure, the appressorium
(C) ...which grows a penetration peg and a series of hyphal bodies to cross the cuticle and epidermis;
Once inside the body, the fungus produces blastospores that bud and spread through the hemolymph .
Increasing pathogenicity and virulence of the pathogen should alter the dose-response relationship, once it is discovered, by increasing the killing rate for a given dose and reducing the threshold level of pathogen required to cause lethal infection.”

Prior to the evacuation of the Pahts we had organized the several Guilds to work on sera to counteract the fungus. Of course, that effort has come to a standstill. Since then I have given up finding an antidote and am concentrating on killing the fungus so that the people may return and deal with an antidote more safely.

My firm conviction, now that the fungus is here, is that we will never be completely rid of it again. So, in the long run an antidote is essential.

date
Being alone now, I have decided to try two approaches: 1) Discover a terminable medium; and 2) Find a means for broadcasting that medium, once discovered.

SUMMARY of the POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS

[1] Laser Sterilization (10%) est. effectiveness
a. Medium: Concentrated laser beam
b. Delivery: Super high bursts of electronic energy

[2] Sonic Sterilization (30%) ........... “
a. Medium: Concentrated audible vibrations
b. Delivery: Nuclear magnetic resonance actuator

[3] Biological Osmosis (10%)............ “
a. Medium: Alcanivorax borkumensis
b. Delivery: Applied through efforts of individual Guild members

[4] Ozone Sterilization (40%)......... “
a. Medium: O3
b. Delivery: High pressure O2 mediated through UV energy

[5] Acetic Acid Sterilization (10%).......... “
a. Medium: Super concentrated vinegar
b. Delivery: Sprayed on all surfaces through efforts of inhabitants

DETAILED NOTES:

[1] Light wave energies (L)
Using Laser mechanical systems; no serum involved;
Applies to the lava mud pits and halts propagation there, but without sterilizing the City of its pathogen;
ACTION:
Main Laser gun sterilizes its own mud pit;
Main gun then transmits to Houmala receiver, which redirects to its own mud pits out back (using the Houmala solar reflectors?);

[2a] Sound wave energies (Sa)
Using crystalline sonic transmission; no serum involved;
Applies to every surface in the City, but it may be destructive of many materials due to the high temperatures reached during broadcasting;
ACTION:
Crystalline Oscillations
The large receiver at the North end of Gestoyphats is a crystalline sonic transmitter used for communication with MotherPahts; it can be converted to transmit and cleanse every material surface on the Northern portion of the island with its crystalline sonic transmissions;

[2b] Nuclear magnet resonance
Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) is a physical phenomenon based upon the quantum mechanical magnetic properties of an atom's nucleus. NMR also commonly refers to a family of scientific methods that exploit nuclear magnetic resonance for microscopic inspection and may be converted to the propagation of energy waves in the range of sound transmission;
ACTION:
The existing nmr tower behind the Science Building can be converted for transmitting very powerful (inaudible) sound waves across the Southern half of the City as well as the OldTown on the North Shore of the Cove, and perhaps the Houmala Factory;

Problem:
The use of BriPahts' ultra sonic transmitters at such high energy levels may damage many materials in the City; sympathetic sonic vibrations could cause some materials to explode; others may suffer internal fiber fractures; some might just melt; so the shortest use of the transmitter would be necessary, but would it then be that effective?

[3a] Biological microbial osmosis (Ma)
Made into a biological serum, Alcanivorax borkumensis becomes a fungus eating microbe;
This is a long term fix but it is also long term in taking effect; requires wide spread and direct applications;
ACTION:
Requires the culture of a large quantity of Alcanivorax borkumensis to feed on the organic nitrogen and phosphorous found in the BriPahts fungus;

[3b] (Mb)
There is some indication in the laboratory of another similar method for combating the fungal pathogen; it comprises administering an organism infected with, or susceptible to, infection with C. parasitica, using a composition containing spores transformed and genetically modified from the inhabiting entomopathogenic fungus;
ACTION:
Its application has not yet been tested;

[4] Atomized ozone spray (O)
Ozone in the stratosphere is mostly produced from ultraviolet rays reacting with oxygen:
O2 + photon(radiation< 240 nm) → 2 O
O + O2 → O3

Ozone is destroyed by its reaction with atomic oxygen:
O3 + O → 2 O2
ACTION:
Uses the short lived aerial serum Ozone; a sprayer has been developed in the laboratory, but has not been tested; (O3) is very quick acting; requires broadcasting in public areas to achieve an initially quick safe space; but cannot cover the interiors; discovered through desk serum experiments;

[5] Direct Application by hand (V)
Large scaled immunity of the nujacs to entomophatogenic fungi has suggested that there diet of various acetic acids (common vinegar) may be effective against the invading pathogen; those who have stayed are now working to concentrate their stores of vinegar, because in its natural state is too diffuse to stop the growth of the pathogen;
ACTION:
Brewing and applying the vinegar is the work of the nujacs.
Last edited by pappou on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pappou
pappou

Journal Scientific: Fungal Problem Sketches

Postby pappou » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:15 pm

JOURNAL SCIENTIFIC

fungus machinery sketches 12.png
Journal Scientific: fungus machinery sketches
fungus machinery sketches 12.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3705 times
pappou
pappou

Journal Scientific: List of Fungal Eqpt

Postby pappou » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:46 pm